Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Now format shifting is legal in the UK ...

... does that mean something like $1 book scan would be legal too, or is it only legal if you do it yourself?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
... does that mean something like $1 book scan would be legal too, or is it only legal if you do it yourself?
I'm no lawyer, but what makes it legal in the US is the fact that it's a destructive scan - you don't get your book back. That would probably make it legal in the UK, too, I'd imagine. But who knows? These things don't always work logically!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2014, 11:51 PM   #3
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I'm not a lawyer, and laws aren't always logical or consistent, but I don't think a process needs to be destructive to be legal here in the US. The obvious example is music, where I can rip MP3s from my CDs or LPs* without needing to destroy them. However, I cannot get rid of either the originals or the copies, since they count as "back ups." If I want to sell my old CD I have to delete the MP3 copies.

I would think that a non-destructive scan would be legal if the original was returned to me, as long as I kept it for as long as I kept the copy.

* I rip and clean up LPs as a hobby. I have some great MP3s, but I also keep each LP I rip. I have a bunch of big plastic bins full of LPs in the basement.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:35 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I'm not a lawyer, and laws aren't always logical or consistent, but I don't think a process needs to be destructive to be legal here in the US.
It does if you're getting someone else to do it for you. That's the issue here - the legality of a service that scans books for you, rather than you scanning it yourself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:24 AM   #5
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm no lawyer, but what makes it legal in the US is the fact that it's a destructive scan - you don't get your book back. That would probably make it legal in the UK, too, I'd imagine. But who knows? These things don't always work logically!
So it works Ultraviolet - one gives back the DVD to the shop and receives the right to access it in a cloud. Since it has customers it shows that stupidity was not eradicated from Earth inspite of mandatory schooling system.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert