Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #31
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
One of the main reasons I purchase music and store it locally is so I always have it available. Although YouTube is a great resource for music (I've purchased a number of albums due to what I've happened upon while looking around YouTube), one thing I've learned through experience is that a YouTube video can disappear at any time without warning. I've located a number of YouTube videos for songs that I like that have since disappeared (such as "I Need To Be In Love" by Akiko Kobayashi) that are not available for purchase.
Stuff does disappear off YouTube. Many times there are replacements readily available; but when there aren't, no big deal. There's still other stuff to listen to.

Quote:
As far as wireless goes, I rarely listen to music wirelessly since I don't have ready access to wifi and rarely listen to over-the-air radio for anything other than the occasional talk show. My only practical option is to carry my music with me, and podcasts give me access to new music and other types of programs to discover.
Because wifi is readily available for me, I find streaming to be the easiest option.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Purely as a matter of interest, why would you not use a phone as a music player? What's wrong with the principle of it, I mean? I find that my iPhone makes an entirely satisfactory music player, and it's something that I always have with me.
One problem is you have to share the memory with apps, other data and whatnot. So your 32GB phone doesn't have even 16GB for your music. Plus, the battery on most phones does not last as long as on some dedicated music players. There is no phone out there that has the battery life that my Cowon J3 has. It has an internal memory of 16GB and a micro SD slot which I can use to put in a 32 or 64GB memory card.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #33
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
A Sansa Clip+ will accept any size micro SD as long as it's formatted in FAT 32.

And yes, I have tried it with a 128 GB micro SD chip...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #34
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
A Sansa Clip+ will accept any size micro SD as long as it's formatted in FAT 32.

And yes, I have tried it with a 128 GB micro SD chip...
What capacity did you end up with? exFAT is the recommended for for one of these cards and the FAT32 tables should fill up long before 128 Gig.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:22 AM   #35
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
I've still got my 80GB Zune, but had looked at the ipod classic as a possible replacement if the Zune died. So much for that idea. Like others here, I've got more than 150 GB of music - my iphone forces me to be picky about what I put on it. The FiiO looks interesting but is a bit more spendy than I'd be willing to invest. Are there any other hard drive or large capacity players left?
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2014, 02:59 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Several people in this thread have used the adjective "spendy", which I have not come across before, and which does not appear to be in the dictionary. Does it mean the same as "expensive"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:06 AM   #37
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Several people in this thread have used the adjective "spendy", which I have not come across before, and which does not appear to be in the dictionary. Does it mean the same as "expensive"?
Yes, spendy, pricey, expensive.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spendy
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:10 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yes, spendy, pricey, expensive.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spendy
Thank you.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:12 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

OK, so several people in this thread have talked about alternatives to the iPod which turn out not to be viable alternatives for those of us who keep our music in an iTunes library because they don't work with iTunes. What devices are available that DO work with iTunes?
Old 09-15-2014, 07:11 AM   #40
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OK, so several people in this thread have talked about alternatives to the iPod which turn out not to be viable alternatives for those of us who keep our music in an iTunes library because they don't work with iTunes. What devices are available that DO work with iTunes?
How about an MP3 player that accepts mSD cards? You can use high capacity cards (64-128GB) formatted to FAT32 to get around the 32GB limit these players have. I don't use iTunes, but isn't it just a matter of dragging the songs you want to a card?

Alternatively, Apple just might introduce a 128GB iPod touch now that that capacity is available for the iPhone. I suspect a 128GB iPt would be on the spendy side; like $399.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:27 AM   #41
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
I've still got my 80GB Zune, but had looked at the ipod classic as a possible replacement if the Zune died. So much for that idea. Like others here, I've got more than 150 GB of music - my iphone forces me to be picky about what I put on it. The FiiO looks interesting but is a bit more spendy than I'd be willing to invest. Are there any other hard drive or large capacity players left?
How about an MP3 player that accepts mSD cards? You can use high capacity cards (64-128GB) formatted to FAT32 to get around the 32GB limit these players have.

The Sansa Clip Zips are very inexpensive (less than $50), have mSD slots, an FM radio, and natively support MP3, WMA, DRM WMA, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, and Audible.

Black Friday is just two months away and there'll be some great discounts on MP3 players and mSD cards. I always wait until BF to get my cards, because they're heavily discounted.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:29 AM   #42
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
None, I would have answered, but I'm a conscientious guy, so I googled first; it seems you're not completetely out of options. (I didn't read that article, just scrolled through, and it seems to address your question.)
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:58 AM   #43
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Oh no! I love my iPod Classic. I hope it stays healthy!
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:06 AM   #44
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Hopefully the next generation of the Touch will have greater storage, at least 128G like the iphone. But I would prefer a nano with that amount of storage.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #45
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Sony Walkman players are not directly compatible with iTunes. However, Sony has released a program called Content Transfer that acts as a go-between between iTunes and the Sony Walkman players.

You start up iTunes, then Content Transfer, and plug your Sony Walkman player into your computer. This will allow you to drag and drop items (such as songs and playlists) from iTunes into the Content Transfer window and they will be loaded on your Walkman. The main limitation of the program is that audio files that you want to load on your player must already be compatible with it.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote