Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #16
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I might just get a FiiO when my iPod eventually dies (but I hope that will be a while...)
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
I might just get a FiiO when my iPod eventually dies (but I hope that will be a while...)
My, those are spendy little players. Luckily for me, a $30 Clip Zip playing MP3s at 128 kbps more than meets my needs.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #18
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rps View Post
I bought my wife one for her birthday the second year they came out. Also bought her the Bose iPod base/sound system. Both still work flawlessly. One would wonder how well the new ones will last ..... Will miss it if and when I goes.
That's a concern I have with my current iPod Classic (160gb version). Although it has good battery life for audio (and it's not bad for video), I know that the battery only has a limited number of recharge cycles.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #19
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
In the 11 years I've used iTunes, I've never had an issue. It has always worked for me, whether I was using Windows or a Mac.
Not everyone has those issues, but there are more than enough reports for me to accept that it is indeed a problem for some.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:01 AM   #20
RickF
RickF began at the beginning.

Device: None
Alternative to ipod classic

Quote:
But all the other iPods etc. have a lot less storage. My iPod Classic 80 GB is the only piece of Apple hardware I own, and I really like it. It's going strong as on day one, having survived over six years of heavy (and sometimes rough) use. I only listen to lossless music, and it's still a lot of that which fits on it. I'm not sure if there's another device on the market that can match the Classic's storage capacity and sturdiness for a reasonable price. Po? No! Perhaps I should get a spare one as long as it's possible...

And having to use bloody iTunes is the only downside. I only put up with it because the iPod is such a great little player.
Good alternative is Fiio X5
RickF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2014, 07:08 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickF View Post
Can you load content to it with iTunes? Not really an alternative if not!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:50 AM   #22
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you load content to it with iTunes? Not really an alternative if not!
The beauty of it is that you can just drag and drop your files onto it. No need for iTunes. (And, to answer your question - no, I don't think you can use iTunes with it either...
Old 09-13-2014, 07:51 AM   #23
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickF View Post
I think the X3 will do for me. It's even cheaper than an iPod Classic!
Old 09-13-2014, 07:55 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The beauty of it is that you can just drag and drop your files onto it. No need for iTunes.
Sure, but that's not a lot of use if, as I do, you happen to have all your music in an iTunes library. I really don't want to have to go to the underlying folder structure, find the music files, and drag and drop them, when in iTunes I can simply browse my music, and send selected albums or tracks to the device with a mouse click. That's why I say that I wouldn't personally consider a device that can't work with iTunes a valid alternative.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:00 AM   #25
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sure, but that's not a lot of use if, as I do, you happen to have all your music in an iTunes library. I really don't want to have to go to the underlying folder structure, find the music files, and drag and drop them, when in iTunes I can simply browse my music, and send selected albums or tracks to the device with a mouse click. That's why I say that I wouldn't personally consider a device that can't work with iTunes a valid alternative.
Yep, I can totally understand that. I organize my music library manually with a nice folder structure, which makes it easily navigable (is that a word?) with Foobar, which is the player I use to listen to music on my PC. iTunes is just the crutch I need to get the music on my iPod, so I will ditch it gladly as soon as I don't need it anymore.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:17 AM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I rarely listen to music when away from wifi (except car radio), so streaming satisfies most of my needs (AOL Radio, Pandora, Prime Music, etc). If I want to listen to a particular song, it's YouTube.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #27
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think the X3 will do for me. It's even cheaper than an iPod Classic!
Based on the comments about the Fiio X3 and X5 I took a quick look and overall I liked what I saw, including: Not-too-small size, physical controls, and FLAC support. When my iPod Classic meets the end of its life, I think I may consider one of these players.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #28
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I rarely listen to music when away from wifi (except car radio), so streaming satisfies most of my needs (AOL Radio, Pandora, Prime Music, etc). If I want to listen to a particular song, it's YouTube.

Yeah, well understand that most of us here took the time to dig out all our CDs and copy them to our computers, and probably spent hundreds to thousands on digital albums over the years. If we didn't have a passion for our existing music libraries, we wouldn't be so bothered by this.

Telling us to stream our stuff is like telling a film enthusiast to settle for Netflix.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:37 PM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Yeah, well understand that most of us here took the time to dig out all our CDs and copy them to our computers, and probably spent hundreds to thousands on digital albums over the years. If we didn't have a passion for our existing music libraries, we wouldn't be so bothered by this.

Telling us to stream our stuff is like telling a film enthusiast to settle for Netflix.
I have hundreds of CDs that I have copied to several hard drives and mSD cards. But I find it easier to stream, so I've almost given up on my own music collection.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #30
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Quote:

One of the main reasons I purchase music and store it locally is so I always have it available. Although YouTube is a great resource for music (I've purchased a number of albums due to what I've happened upon while looking around YouTube), one thing I've learned through experience is that a YouTube video can disappear at any time without warning. I've located a number of YouTube videos for songs that I like that have since disappeared (such as "I Need To Be In Love" by Akiko Kobayashi) that are not available for purchase.

As far as wireless goes, I rarely listen to music wirelessly since I don't have ready access to wifi and rarely listen to over-the-air radio for anything other than the occasional talk show. My only practical option is to carry my music with me, and podcasts give me access to new music and other types of programs to discover.