Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Muphry's Law

http://www.editorscanberra.org/muphrys-law/

I was sent this link recently and just thought I'd share.

Quote:
Muphry’s Law
Muphry’s Law is the editorial application of the better-known Murphy’s Law. Muphry’s Law dictates that:

(a) if you write anything criticising editing or proofreading, there will be a fault of some kind in what you have written;
(b) if an author thanks you in a book for your editing or proofreading, there will be mistakes in the book;
(c) the stronger the sentiment expressed in (a) and (b), the greater the fault;
(d) any book devoted to editing or style will be internally inconsistent.

Muphry’s Law also dictates that, if a mistake is as plain as the nose on your face, everyone can see it but you. Your readers will always notice errors in a title, in headings, in the first paragraph of anything, and in the top lines of a new page. These are the very places where authors, editors and proofreaders are most likely to make mistakes.

Acknowledgments to John Bangsund, of the Victorian Society of Editors, who first coined the term.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
joycedb
Guru
joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I can't disagree with that. It' so true.

Joyce
joycedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Dude -- you get karma for that one.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
I've hit (a) more times than I can count
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:05 AM   #5
Eisengoth
Independent Author
Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Wow. That is fantastic!

It's funny... I came into this thread going "Wow, I can't believe they spelled 'Murphy' wrong..."
Eisengoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
True, so true.

I've learned to be less critical of typos and other mistakes in others' writing since I started publishing my own books.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote