Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
rogerVA
Connoisseur
rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite & Kindle 3
.99 for S.T. Joshi's Junk Fiction at Fictionwise

http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b9...ST-Joshi/?si=0

Bestsellers have been with us for more than a century, ever since the first bestseller list appeared in 1895. But they have received surprisingly little attention from critics. What kind of books become bestsellers? Why do people read them? Do they have literary value or are they merely the literary equivalent of crossword puzzles? S. T. Joshi, a leading critic of horror, fantasy, and mystery fiction, devotes his attention to these and other issues, showing that bestsellers emerged only with the advent of near-universal literacy and the increased leisure time among the masses. Joshi is also aware that most bestsellers fall into the categories of genre fiction: romance (Danielle Steel, Barbara Taylor Bradford, Nora Roberts); mystery (Mary Higgins Clark, Sue Grafton, Patricia Cornwell); suspense (James Patterson, Nelson DeMille); espionage (Robert Ludlum, Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler); horror (Stephen King, Dean Koontz); and so forth. Joshi provides detailed examinations of books by these authors, as well as of such recent bestsellers as Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code, and such bygone titles as Jacqueline Susann's Valley of the Dolls, in a wide-ranging discussion of both the virtues and the failings of popular literature. Joshi's study, written in a witty, accessible style, is must-reading for anyone interested in the literary and cultural phenomenon of the bestseller.

Joshi tears apart writer after writer, book after book. His bad reviews are always entertaining to me, and this book is pretty much one long bad review of modern popular fiction.
rogerVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hey, thanks. You helped me burn through half of the Micropay balance I've been sitting on for two years. One more buy like this, and I'm out.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerVA View Post
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b9...ST-Joshi/?si=0
...[snip]...
Joshi tears apart writer after writer, book after book. His bad reviews are always entertaining to me, and this book is pretty much one long bad review of modern popular fiction.
Excellent find!!! I love reading entertaining bad reviews (like Ebert's for instance). Just bought it.

In the same vein, here's a scathing review of the star wars prequels by the way (something about your link reminded me of them). It has to be one of the most hilarious things I've seen. Warning: some coarse language (not overdone).
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
I bought it yesterday and read a chapter last night. Funny stuff. Thanks!
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
rogerVA
Connoisseur
rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite & Kindle 3
Glad you guys got it. Joshi is the premier H.P. Lovecraft scholar of our time, and I've read a lot of his Lovecraftian works. He's also prepared definitive texts of Lovecraft, Bierce, H.L. Mencken and others. When he doesn't like something, he lets it have it, which again usually amuses me. Hope you guys agree. Not sure he's meaning to amuse, but oh well...
rogerVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert