Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-20-2016, 05:29 AM   #1
LucyC
LucyC began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wifi
Older version of Kobo desktop app

Hey guys,

I bought a second hand Kobo wifi online recently. My issue is that the kobo wifi is not compatible with the latest version of the desktop app because the device is quite old. The desktop app is the only way to set up the device so I'm stuck.

I spoke to kobo tech support who said that there is no way to get around the issue - but I'm convinced there must be a work-around!

I did manage to download an older version: Kobo Desktop 3.2.3 (I'm using windows 10), however when I open it, it automatically prompts me to update to the latest version.

My question is: is there a way to run the older versions of the app without it prompting me to update so that I can set up my device?

Getting a bit lost looking through all of the threads here so any help would be greatly appreciated!
LucyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:48 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The simplest way to beat this is to modify the database. There are instructions here to add a fake user to the database. This bypasses the registrations step. But, it means that if you buy books from Kobo, you have to sideload them.

The other thing to do would be to patch the application to not do the version check. People are doing this for the firmware on the devices, so it should be possible.

You might get away disconnecting from the net, starting the application while it cannot connect. Then connect to the net and plug the device in. Hmm, if this to work, it will be more complicated:
- Install the latest version and setup the user.
- Uninstall the latest version. You might need to do something so that the database and books are not lost.
- Disconnect from the net and install the older version.
- Start the application while disconnected then connect.
- Plug the device in.

That probably won't work, but it might be worth trying.

Another trick would be to use a proxy or something to block the update check, or respond with "no update needed". I know what these would be for the firmware, but I've never checked what the desktop does. It should be similar.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 02:08 AM   #3
Tommy B
Tommy B began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
I have an iPad that's about 7 years old. I have been using the Kobo app for some time and have been happy. Recently, I started to gave issues. I contacted Kobo and they instructed me to clear the cache then uninstall the app then re-install.
All went well until I went to re-install the app. At that time I was informed that my units IOS is not compatable with the current Kobo app.
I've contacted Kobo and they saybtheybare unable to assist me and don't have older versions and that I need to replace my unit.
I contacted Apple and my unit's IOS version cannot be any newer.
Any idea where I can get a previous version of the app. I have too many books and don't see the need to purchase a replacement unit.
Many Thanks
Tommy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 01:18 PM   #4
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Try changing the properties for the Kobo app to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP, and see if it still prompts you to update; the current versions (anything after 3.8) don't run on XP.

Last edited by RobertJSawyer; 10-04-2020 at 01:21 PM.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:10 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You CAN install (sideload/USB) old apps on Android. But not on the iPhone or iPad. Existing applications mostly continue to work, but once the iOS is unsupported you can't install any apps on iPad or iPhone at all, even if you just uninstalled it.

However even on Android, the old versions of Kobo and Kindle apps may not work on old Android devices even though they can connect to the Playstore. I can install Aldiko Classic on my old Sony Ericsson phone (older than iPhone 4s) but not Kindle, Kobo or Lithium.
I prefer Lithium for epubs and convert my Kindle ebooks on Calibre. I use a phone, tablet, kobo and kindle. I mostly read on the Kobo Libra. The old phone has a 4.2" approx screen and I use it and other apps and eink readers to test new formatting ideas.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:11 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Oh, and I have no need to run Kobo or Kindle apps on a desktop/laptop, ever. Calibre is far better.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo desktop, kobo wifi, older version