Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-08-2018, 12:05 AM   #46
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Figured I should cross post here (originally posted in this thread).

Another successful 5.8.11 downgrade + JB here.
  • Is this a new device, never connected to the Internet? Yes S/N: G090 G105 7
  • Is it a "refurbished" device? No
  • Is this the firmware it arrived with or has it been updated to this version? Stock 5.8.11 (3243010037)
    I copied update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin to root but was wishy-washy and didn't select UYK. I left the device charging, ate a snack and when I came back it was already installing the firmware and all I can do was pray it doesn't brick. When it finally finished rebooting, it had 5.8.9.0.1 (3175970011) installed. Yay!
  • Is it registered? No
  • Does it have ads (Special Offers)? Yes (although I don't believe that particular flag is set OOTB. Probably just upon device registration)
  • Does it have a pass-code protection or parental controls enabled? No
  • What country was it sold in? US
  • What country was it delivered to? US
  • Was the seller an on-line Amazon site or was it a third-party seller (on-line or brick&mortar). Amazon (US)
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:46 PM   #47
eriver
eriver began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 6th, 9017, FW 5.12.2.2.
My sixty-four-thousand-dollar question

Hi to all,

I followed your discussion about downgrading the PW 3.

Where do I get the 5.8.9.0.1 update version? For sure I browsed in the net.

Thanks in advance and happy Easter!
eriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2018, 04:13 PM   #48
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriver View Post
Hi to all,

I followed your discussion about downgrading the PW 3.

Where do I get the 5.8.9.0.1 update version? For sure I browsed in the net.

Thanks in advance and happy Easter!
Try the index to this forum.
Do you think that a thread with 5.8.9.0.1 in its title might help you?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:45 PM   #49
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7
Connoisseur
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about

Device: PW4 32GB (G000 T607) 5.12.3
Cross posting too - successfully downgraded from 5.8.11 on german kindle - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...75877&page=208
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:17 PM   #50
alex_and_the
alex_and_the began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Just like to share my experience.

I got a PW3 shipped from the US, to the US. Thereafter my friend brought it to me in Singapore. The device (G090 G105 8XXX) was pre-registed to my Amazon account with firmware 5.8.11.

1) Put in the file to prevent OTA updates before connecting to the internet to request for removal of special offers.
2) Did a reset of the Kindle (not connected to internet) and downgrade to 5.8.9.0.1.
3) Jailbroken with no issues, even did a reset.
4) Upgraded to 5.9.5.1, jailbreak remained. Attempted a reset (to fix the KUAL document not removing issue) and reapplied the hotfix with success.

It seems that may have been really lucky with the process but as usual YMMV.
alex_and_the is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2018, 01:47 PM   #51
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_and_the View Post
It seems that may have been really lucky with the process but as usual YMMV.
There really seems a pattern to emerge: If an out-of-the-box Kindle manufactured not too long ago (no matter what fw version installed...) you have at least one (or possibly even more...) "free shots" to install any FB02 type update file (*.bin).

Only when (auto-)updated to any OTA user fw, you're screwed...
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:33 AM   #52
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinoos View Post
There really seems a pattern to emerge: If an out-of-the-box Kindle manufactured not too long ago (no matter what fw version installed...) you have at least one (or possibly even more...) "free shots" to install any FB02 type update file (*.bin).

Only when (auto-)updated to any OTA user fw, you're screwed...
It is probably related to voice view installation ...

*) If the model is VV capable ...
(see: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202199580 )
*) If the model did not ship with the VV files installed ...
*) Then it must be running a firmware version that allows the VV package to be installed - which means it will also install our "factory" update image - the one that can be jail broken.

= = = =

Three generations of Kindle e-book readers, and our 'friends' at Lab126 STILL HAVE NOT fixed getting control of VV package installation separated from installing the 'factory' firmware image(s).

Last edited by knc1; 05-16-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:34 AM   #53
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Three generations of Kindle e-book readers, and our 'friends' at Lab126 STILL HAVE NOT fixed getting control of VV package installation separated from installing the 'factory' firmware image(s).
That's good for us, isn't it?

That said, we don't know if they've blocked this method on 5.9. The last PW3 I bought from Amazon USA (March 2018) still had 5.8.11.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:59 PM   #54
s0lohans
s0lohans began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Figured I should cross post here (originally posted in this thread).

Another successful 5.8.11 downgrade + JB here.
  • Is this a new device, never connected to the Internet? Yes S/N: G090 G105 7
  • Is it a "refurbished" device? No
  • Is this the firmware it arrived with or has it been updated to this version? Stock 5.8.11 (3243010037)
    I copied update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin to root but was wishy-washy and didn't select UYK. I left the device charging, ate a snack and when I came back it was already installing the firmware and all I can do was pray it doesn't brick. When it finally finished rebooting, it had 5.8.9.0.1 (3175970011) installed. Yay!
  • Is it registered? No
  • Does it have ads (Special Offers)? Yes (although I don't believe that particular flag is set OOTB. Probably just upon device registration)
  • Does it have a pass-code protection or parental controls enabled? No
  • Was the seller an on-line Amazon site or was it a third-party seller (on-line or brick&mortar). Amazon (US)
Another succesful downgrade here with exactly the same scenario except I bought mine from Target (US) instead of directly from amazon.

Thank you @ilovejedd for your help and @knc1 for replying back!
s0lohans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:56 PM   #55
Machinus
Enthusiast
Machinus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
It is probably related to voice view installation ...

*) If the model is VV capable ...
(see: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202199580 )
*) If the model did not ship with the VV files installed ...
*) Then it must be running a firmware version that allows the VV package to be installed - which means it will also install our "factory" update image - the one that can be jail broken.

= = = =

I have 5.8.10 on my PW3. Is it worth trying to upgrade the firmware to see if I can jailbreak it?
Machinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:11 AM   #56
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
Sorry, @Machinus, you didn't understand the background correctly: We're talking here about "out-of-the-box" firmwares (i.e. the firmware in brand-new devices). Any OTA or via sideload updated firmwares newer than 5.8.7.0.1 are user firmwares which definitely can not be jailbroken, as they don't allow the installation of the jb'able special factory test build firmwares.
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:06 AM   #57
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
= = = =

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinus View Post
I have 5.8.10 on my PW3. Is it worth trying to upgrade the firmware to see if I can jailbreak it?
No.

PS: Lab126 finally fixed the problem with not being able to load VV files while running consumer firmware releases.
So the first quote above no longer applies.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #58
deadman36g
deadman36g began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thanks to this thread I decided to be brave (or is it stupid?) and try this on my newly acquired PW3 running 5.8.11
  • Is this a new device, never connected to the Internet? Yes, but I did connect with the internet. S/N: G090 G105 7*
  • Is it a "refurbished" device? Yes
  • Is this the firmware it arrived with or has it been updated to this version? Stock 5.8.11, I downgraded using update_PW3_5.7.4_initial.bin
  • Is it registered? Yes
  • Does it have ads (Special Offers)? No

Everything was successful, I am now on fw 5.9.6.1 (3314460001) and jailbreak is still in tact.
deadman36g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:01 AM   #59
eldavo
eldavo began at the beginning.

Device: pw3 G090G1
pw3 5.9.5

Hello,
I have bought a refurbished pw3 g1 5.9.5 (stock) with offers. How can I jailbreak? I've copied the 5.7.4 but the UYK options stays grey.
eldavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:38 PM   #60
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@eldavo: Serial.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote