Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-18-2018, 01:21 PM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Stretch the cover to fit the screen?

Hey guys,

I suspect I'm doing something wrong/missing some setting. But the screensaver on my Aura tends to display the covers with bars on the sides (Pillarboxing). I'm sure it has something to do with the original image resolution, but is there a way to stretch the image to fill the screen?

I sideload all my ePubs as kepubs using Calibre and one of the Kobo Extended plug-ins.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:11 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
The setting is in Calibre. Go to Plugins, under Device Interface Settings, find your Kobo Touch Extended plugin, on the Collections, Covers & Uploads tab, uncheck "Keep cover aspect ratio."
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:52 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
What Ripplinger said followed by - use the Kobo Utilities calibre plugin to resend any/all covers you want to correct.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:14 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
The setting is in Calibre. Go to Plugins, under Device Interface Settings, find your Kobo Touch Extended plugin, on the Collections, Covers & Uploads tab, uncheck "Keep cover aspect ratio."
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
What Ripplinger said followed by - use the Kobo Utilities calibre plugin to resend any/all covers you want to correct.
Thanks guys. I'll try it when I get home.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:03 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why would you want your covers to maybe look distorted?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm with ZodWallop, I prefer my covers to fill the entire screen as well, the white side bars really bug me, they're just ugly. And it's only a cover, the dimensions are generally close enough that you really don't notice any distortion, and it's not like you're staring at it for hours like when watching a TV screen where the AR is off.

Now that I think about it more, probably if the white side bars were black along the edge of the covers, it wouldn't bother me as much. But that white is just hideous and needs to be hidden.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:19 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I abhor beauty
Old 06-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
...it's only a cover, the dimensions are generally close enough that you really don't notice any distortion, and it's not like you're staring at it for hours like when watching a TV screen where the AR is off.
Yes, exactly. The tiny amount it is stretched likely wouldn't be noticed by someone who didn't know it was being stretched.

Quote:
Now that I think about it more, probably if the white side bars were black along the edge of the covers, it wouldn't bother me as much. But that white is just hideous and needs to be hidden.
On mine, the bars are black. I'd just rather not have them.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
On mine, the bars are black. I'd just rather not have them.
While the black bars would be more tolerable, I agree, I'd rather not have them at all too if it can be easily avoided. And it can with Calibre.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:13 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
While the black bars would be more tolerable, I agree, I'd rather not have them at all too if it can be easily avoided. And it can with Calibre.
Yeah, it was an easy fix. The only thing that took time was resending all the covers to my Kobo.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:47 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Also you can install Gimp. Then in Calibre Edit cover, and you can distort, crop, clone, any colour of bars etc to suit your device. Save a backup of cover. I also use the cover creator in Calibre to quickly add a cover from perhaps a Gutenberg text, or quick edit after download + crop in Edit Metadata.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:38 AM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Also you can install Gimp. Then in Calibre Edit cover, and you can distort, crop, clone, any colour of bars etc to suit your device. Save a backup of cover.
I use Paint.NET rather than Gimp. But why go through all that hassle when I can just tick a box and have the covers stretched when sent to the device? Then the 'master cover' is not touched. Only the one on the reader is adjusted to fit the reader's screen.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:55 PM   #13
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I use Paint.NET rather than Gimp. But why go through all that hassle when I can just tick a box and have the covers stretched when sent to the device? Then the 'master cover' is not touched. Only the one on the reader is adjusted to fit the reader's screen.
Yes, I agree with the quick and easy method as well. It works, tick a box just once as ZodWallop said, and it's fixed forever.

Otherwise I'd have to be editing every single book cover, which I probably would do without Calibre's easy fix, those bars bug me that much. But that takes time, time I'd rather spend reading.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:03 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Hey guys, after spending some time with it, I'm very glad I've stretched the covers to fill the screen. Any distortion is minimal and it makes things look more 'professional' if you see what I mean.

And to give a less jerky answer to Wolf:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The amount of stretching required to eliminate the bars is minimal. If I were to show you the cover, you likely wouldn't know anything was off.

I read comics on a 10:16 and a 3:4 tablet. On both screens, there are bars (top and bottom for 10:19, left and right for 3:4). I wouldn't stretch those images to fill the screen as that would distort the entire reading experience. But a cover that is just being used as a sleep screen seems less important to me.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:05 PM   #15
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Just a little personal anecdote ... I'm also in the 'hate filler bars' camp, especially white fillers with a dark cover. However I can't argue with the fact that stretch-to-fit occasionally looks grotesque, particularly on a cover containing a large human face.

So 18 months ago I decided to experiment with preserving the aspect ratio but doctoring the filler bars to be a better colour match for each particular cover. I thought this might be a good compromise. There are many ways to do this so I picked 3 different methods and hacked my copy of KoboTouchExtended to create the screensaver-with-designer-fillers on the fly during calibre send-to-device on 3 different Kobo models.

To cut a long story short, 18 months on I still can't decide which is the 'best' method because for some covers the fillers merge beautifully with the main cover and others don't - whichever method you pick.

One thing I did discover by accident is that screensaver appearance on an H2O or KA1 is far superior to that on a GloHD or ClaraHD. The latter two models have far more 'grayscale banding' than the former two models which have very smooth grayscale, the KA1 being the smoothest.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote