Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #16
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
My experience has been that in about five hours of reading, they have worked perfectly every time. I have not had a single accidental press, and after the first five minutes of acclimating myself to the amount of pressure needed, I have not had a missed press either. I already feel like I would never go back to a non-pagepress device. As a lefty who often absentmindedly switches hands while reading, they are a godsend.

I am using the default settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Are they back lit in any way? If not, how is one supposed to find them in the dark?
Its not like they are buried treasure somewhere in the forest. They are dead center on a plastic strip 1 inch wide. If you get really confused in a pitch dark room, you can turn the backlight up all the way and that should help you locate them.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:46 PM   #17
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Yes of course they can be disabled.
why 'of course'? you make it sound like everything is customizable, this is amazon...
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #18
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Yes of course they can be disabled. But if you buy something partially because one of the new features really appeals to you, and that feature is so poorly implemented that you have to turn it off, then that is not a good thing. IMO the good in the Voyage seems to outweigh the bad, but the PT buttons are a big fail. People have been requesting PT buttons be put back on touchscreen Kindles ever since they were taken off. So there is a lot of disappointment over how poorly these PT buttons were implemented.
Sometimes I wonder why you, and several other people here, keep buying Kindles....
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:20 PM   #19
jswinden
Gone Fishing
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Sometimes I wonder why you, and several other people here, keep buying Kindles....
Mostly so I can get asinine comments from those who have nothing better to do but post them. You know he type, the posters who rarely, if ever, post anything useful.

At least I'm willing to try new things in hopes they will work to satisfaction. As opposed to those who out of hand reject new things or who fall in love with them sight unseen.
jswinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:27 PM   #20
jswinden
Gone Fishing
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingies
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I have read in other threads that there are no bumps or other physical cues to their locations.

Are they back lit in any way? If not, how is one supposed to find them in the dark?
There are no bumps nor any physical indication as to where the PT buttons are located. The bezel is black and the PT forward buttons are shown as a very thin, grey line a little over an inch in length, and the back buttons are merely a very small, gray dot about an inch above the forward buttons. That dot is perhaps 1 mm in diameter. I do not think they are lit as they do not seem to become more noticeable as the screen light is turned higher.
jswinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2014, 01:27 PM   #21
haydnfan
Fanatic
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I don't like them. I'm not getting accidental presses, I just think that it is not as fast and responsive as simply tapping the screen.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #22
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Mostly so I can get asinine comments from those who have nothing better to do but post them. You know he type, the posters who rarely, if ever, post anything useful.
Ah, those. Yeah, they should be banned asap

Quote:
At least I'm willing to try new things in hopes they will work to satisfaction. As opposed to those who out of hand reject new things or who fall in love with them sight unseen.
Why not do as I do? Wait two months, read a smattering of reviews, try one in a store... Save yourself the trouble of (re)ordering time and again. I for one will wait until a case appears that I like, and then I'll go take a look at the Voyage. Maybe.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #23
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW2, PW4, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
you can turn the backlight up all the way and that should help you locate them.
Ouch!
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:10 AM   #24
disconnected
Evangelist
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O2; Nook Glowlight 3; Oasis; Glo HD; Aura; iPAQ 4700(retired)
Personally, I'm glad the page-turn buttons are flush with the screen. This way I can turn them off, apply a skin (DecalGirl says they will be available soon) and never have to see them again.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:20 AM   #25
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad mini
If a bump would help, why not glue a little sequin (or something) on there? You can buy them on Amazon...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:59 PM   #26
cct1
Connoisseur
cct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trolls

Device: multiple
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
Personally, I'm glad the page-turn buttons are flush with the screen. This way I can turn them off, apply a skin (DecalGirl says they will be available soon) and never have to see them again.
I actually was wondering if the buttons would still work with a skin...

I'm keeping mine on order, may pick one up at Best Buy this weekend and cancel the order, and pray the screen is good. What I really want is a 6.8 cm screen, buttons, and the amazon ecosystem. I can only get two out of three with amazon, one out of three with Kobo, and Kobo's less than ideal CS for the U.S. makes that a deal breaker.
cct1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #27
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cct1 View Post
I actually was wondering if the buttons would still work with a skin....
I would think that the skin would have holes where the buttons are.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #28
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW2, PW4, Clara HD
Officially tested reading at night in the bedroom and the buttons are useless for me there. The screen didn't serve me as well as my PW1, either. So at the very least, I need a PW2 for the bedroom and one for the living room, or a $200 Voyage that I can only use anywhere except in the bedroom. My replacement just arrived.

Last edited by pghaworth; 10-24-2014 at 03:16 PM.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #29
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I would think that the skin would have holes where the buttons are.
Why? They may not need to be touched when reacting to pressure, so it could be that they will work through a skin, or even a cover. It can be tested using a thick piece of paper or something.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #30
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Why? They may not need to be touched when reacting to pressure, so it could be that they will work through a skin, or even a cover. It can be tested using a thick piece of paper or something.
I guess we'll see when they put the template up on the website. I think they're going to go with better safe than sorry.

They've always included the button covers when they print the decals, so if someone preferred not to have those areas exposed they could cover them.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
voyage