Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-28-2016, 06:26 AM   #106
knc1
99.44/100% On Holiday
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourcat View Post
@Cini: Without TTS enabled books it makes little sense. OTG is not mainstream and I guess it never will be.
Bluetooth sound would be interesting.
Luckily my crystal ball is fine

All Freescale SoC devices (Kindles since the K2) have some sort of OTG support.
The user accessible USB port has always been OTG.

Kindle prior to the Paperwhite series (other than the K4) have had TTS or at least support for TTS.

If you find a shortage of books 'voice enabled' - there are off-Kindle tools available to change the book's "voice enable" flag.

Although Amazon has only released the Dongle/VoiceView combination for the PW-3, it has been reported elsewhere that it works on all 7th generation devices.

It should also work (or be possible to make work) on the 6th and 8th generation devices. (all same SoC/cpu - at least I think the Oasis uses the same SoC)

That leaves only the K4 and the PW1 without either add-on or built-in TTS.
(with a question mark after the KT2 and the Oasis - I haven't read anyone trying the voice dongle on those).

= = = =

We have only seen two pictures of one side of the Oasis board posted here -
without a trace of serial port connections shown in those.

It would be nice to see the other side of the board and for someone to inspect those edge cover connectors - Amazon might have done the serial port on the Oasis like they did on the K3 - brought the connections out on the cover connectors.

Last edited by knc1; 05-28-2016 at 06:41 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:51 AM   #107
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
I suspect that I'll never see one in real live using a Kindle with a random USB device connected.
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:51 AM   #108
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourcat View Post
I suspect that I'll never see one in real live using a Kindle with a random USB device connected.
I probably won't actually see that either, but that doesn't mean people aren't doing it.
But I have only ever seen one other person using a kindle.

So does no one use kindles or is it the area I live in and my own personal habits.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:18 AM   #109
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
In public I've seen more people using tablets or notebooks reading e-books than using Kindles.
At least I don't want to carry too much. Smartphone, Kindle (and opt. tablet / notebook) are enough devices.
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:01 AM   #110
knc1
99.44/100% On Holiday
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am back on the job.
I admit it - I took a couple of days off for holiday weekend activities.

= = = =

Last week, the tool to make the tooling:

Pic 1:
A waxed, wooden positioning jig, each of the three surfaces at right-angles to the others.
The photo perspective might make it hard to see that each of the three sides are indeed square with the other two.

Shown below the jig, a piece of Aluminum channel.

The various molding, modeling, and casting compounds will not stick to the waxed surfaces.
They will stick to the Aluminum channel.

Pic 2:
The positioning jig has a recess in the back and bottom surfaces to hold a "slip-in" piece of the channel.

When in-place, the bottom surface is even the top edge of the channel and the back surface is even with the rear, inside, surface of the channel.

= = = =

The positioning jig is intended to be re-usable.
The slip-in "mold carrier" will be a permanent part of the mold or casting that is made.

The "fit" is close enough that the mold or casting (in its aluminum channel carrier) can be removed and returned to the same position relative to all three surfaces.

This tool is needed because the "connector bulge" on the top will not be an exact copy of that on the bottom (nor in the same position).

So the process will be to cast a mold of a long edge and of the bottom edge -
Take the two molds in their channel carriers and cut them into slices -
Slices that when re-assembled in a different order, will make a model of the bulge to be made in the top edge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	corner-tool.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	149094   Click image for larger version

Name:	corner-jig.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	149095  

Last edited by knc1; 06-01-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:54 AM   #111
knc1
99.44/100% On Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Maybe another donation thread to award the coder of the next jailbreak? (for the current fws)?

Interesting how that turned out.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:52 AM   #112
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Interesting how that turned out.
Solution came up faster then I expected

This idea still could be useful for subsequent jailbreaks and app requests ( donation pools for providers of requested apps). The thing is that this organization should be managed by several "trusted" kindle dev forum coders (approval of apps, etc )
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:00 AM   #113
knc1
99.44/100% On Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
- - - -
The thing is that this organization should be managed by several "trusted" kindle dev forum coders (approval of apps, etc )
The "several" is the main problem.

Unless new people join with an interest in modifying Kindles, there will not even be "several" to choose among.

Amazon/Lab126 may not have time to "protect" the next model from our current 'jail break anything that stands still' method,
but they will eventually (meaning within a few more new models).