Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #166
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Well no, "you gets what you pays for", I suppose
Yep, and I'm happy to pay for a real human to read Italian, as opposed to a machine splicing together recorded phonemes. This kind of immersive reading is the only use I have for audiobooks, I avoid them like the plague otherwise, so it's not going to break my bank to buy a couple to help improve my Italian comprehension.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:48 AM   #167
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Yeah, I don't listen to audiobooks on my Oasis, and I wouldn't on a Kobo unless I could have the ebook open at the same time. I wouldn't want "immersive reading" highlighting -- that would be horrible on an E-ink screen.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2019, 11:55 AM   #168
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't understand the desire to control audiobooks from an e-ink device. The key feature of an e-ink reader is the screen. What do audiobooks gain from an e-ink screen?

The number of readers who own an e-ink device but don't own a phone, tablet or computer must be vanishingly small to non-existent.
This isn't a response to a reader's desire for audiobooks on an e-ink screen. It's a response to Kindle and maybe Kobo's desire to sell more books.

The key to all this stuff, and the biggest problem from a reader's point of view, is that e-ink readers aren't designed primarily for readers, they're designed to sell books. Anything the vendor can do to sell more books they'll do, readers be damned.

That's why I keep hoping, although I know better, that companies like Asus and Lenovo will get interested in making ereaders. I know I'm just dreaming but it's a nice dream and I refuse to let it go.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote