Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-03-2019, 09:09 AM   #1
RSoldin
RSoldin began at the beginning.

Device: none
Understanding the div levels in Sigil

I was wondering if there is a way to show the <div> levels in the code view of Sigil? If you have numerous div level in your code due to floats, boxes, etc. is there a way to see where a <div> starts and it </div> ends? Maybe a script or addition for Sigil to enhance the code view so when you set your cursor in a <div> it can highlight (option: color, bold) the ending </div>?

Since I have div's inside div's this would be a great enhancement.

Thanks for any feedback
RSoldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:55 PM   #2
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Divs inside divs gives me the willies. Obey Thoreau in all things digiital: simplify! simplify!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:31 PM   #3
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSoldin View Post
If you have numerous div level in your code due to floats, boxes, etc. is there a way to see where a <div> starts and it </div> ends?
Yes, in the Calibre Editor:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/edi...x-highlighting
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:58 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post
Please stick to the questions asked.

Quote:
I was wondering if there is a way to show the <div> levels in the code view of Sigil?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-03-2019 at 03:00 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:07 PM   #5
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Please stick to the questions asked.
OK.

Quote:
I was wondering if there is a way to show the <div> levels in the code view of Sigil?
Currently in Sigil no.
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:10 PM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Just run Sigil’s mend and prettify and divs should be matched by indentation
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:24 PM   #7
RSoldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Just run Sigil’s mend and prettify and divs should be matched by indentation
Yes, that is a part of using Sigil. Since I couldn't find any scripts or Plug-ins searching, I was thinking that my last resort would be to ask on this board and see if anyone knew a trick or had something that could help in viewing div levels.

I don't like using divs in divs either and I think it would help if Sigil had a way to view the levels and also for list levels. My work is creating print books and in the past 5 or so years, I have been creating the epub/mobi versions for them. As more clients are requesting more complex layouts in ebook formats I have been digging in my heals.

Thank you for the feedback.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:35 AM   #8
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

In Sigil, the "elements" tab of the preview window might also be helpful. It allows one to expand or contract various blocks of code, so you could selectively expand various div elements to see what's what.

HTH
Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:16 AM   #9
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
@RSoldin -- You might consider using the Sigil option "Open With" to open your html files in a 3rd-party text editor. I happen to use Notepad ++ (free, opensource), partly because it does highlight matching tags and does a lot of other configurable semantic code highlighting. I do a lot of editing in NP++, save there, and return to the Sigil app --- those files will have been updated in Sigil, and all I have to do is save the Sigil file.

(I have a vision problem with depth perception that makes the indentations very difficult to track.)

Please forgive if this is a bit too elementary for the subject...

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 01-07-2019 at 12:24 AM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:50 AM   #10
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
@RSoldin -- You might consider using the Sigil option "Open With" to open your html files in a 3rd-party text editor. I happen to use Notepad ++ (free, opensource), partly because it does highlight matching tags and does a lot of other configurable semantic code highlighting.
Yes, Notepad++ is indeed visually helpful.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:22 PM   #11
RSoldin

Appreciate the feedback

I have been looking for ways to go about viewing the structure of my code using some of the tools that you all have pointed out. Thank you.

I was thinking about trying to get NoteBooK ++ to run but have found out the with all the apps I use on a daily bases, it would crowd out my 16 gigs of ram. I may try using Calibre when I get loaded with div's in a book, but it's also a memory hog and modifies the XHTML to much to keep a grip on the Sigil code. I have also been messing with BBEdit to see if it will aid me with these heavy books.

I will also get more active with the team that works on the Sigil code. Maybe they can work something out.

I'll post back once I get farther into my pursuit.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2019, 11:47 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I will also get more active with the team that works on the Sigil code. Maybe they can work something out.
FYI - the team that works on Sigil comprises KevinH, DiapDealer, who have responded above.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:29 AM   #13
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
I was thinking about trying to get NoteBooK ++ to run but have found out the with all the apps I use on a daily bases, it would crowd out my 16 gigs of ram.
Just a suggestion...close the apps that you are not actively using... it saves memory and it's easy enough to run the program when you need to use them again. 16 gig RAM should be plenty for all but the highest end cad programs...
Seriously though, NP++ should not be causing memory issues if you have 16 GB...check Task Mgr to see what is actually chunking it up.

Quote:
I may try using Calibre when I get loaded with div's in a book, but it's also a memory hog and modifies the XHTML to much to keep a grip on the Sigil code...
Don't confuse Calibre "conversions" with the program "Calibre Editor". Calibre Editor, like Sigil, only makes changes to the html that you specify.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
code view, color depth, sigil