Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-01-2015, 07:59 AM   #1
roosten
roosten began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Search and Replace; delete "author" name from "serie"

I've a large collection of books in Calibre that has the 'author' name displayed in the 'serie' field. Too many to do a manual selection.
Hence I'm looking for a search and replace expression that can check the author name from the 'author' field against the text in the 'serie' field and replace or remove that particular string from the 'serie' field.
roosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:34 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can't really compare two fields.

What you can do, maybe, is the following:

Search field: {template}
Template:
Code:
program: re(field('series'), field('authors'), '')
Search for:
Code:
(.*)
Replace With:
Code:
\1
Destination field: series

This should use as the source, a template which regexes out the content of the "authors" field from the series field, and then replace the series field with the contents of that source template.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2015, 05:47 AM   #3
roosten

Thanks for the suggestion.
A first attempt with the above scripting didn't quite solve the issue, but I appreciate the approach.
I'll give it some more attempts later using this as a starting point.

Thanks again.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:55 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In what way did it fail? It looks OK to me (and I did a couple tests with my test library), so I'm not sure what could be fixed, but if you tell me how it isn't working for you, I could try again.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:03 AM   #5
roosten

Thanks for following up.
I'm currently travelling with limited access to my database and even lesser time to run a few examples, but will come back to you after my trip.
Advert
Old 12-17-2015, 03:47 AM   #6
roosten

My bad. It actually works quite well (as you already concluded).

I've created a new test-database with some typical examples and all went well this time.
It might have been an issue with the author sorting or maybe the localized language set of my previous testdatabase.

Great thing is that the script also helps me cleaning up titles containing strings from the author or serie field.

So great thanks for this. You've given me significant quality time back.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Excellent. And thanks for getting back with a confirmation.

Tags
search & replace, search and replace