Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Not finding ebook versions for the US market

I have not run into this much before - but recently I ran into three books not being available as ebooks in the US.

Notwithstanding by Louis de Bernières
The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I don't know if it's just bad luck - but in the past I was almost always able to find ebook versions on one store or another. Compounding my frustration, each of those books is available on foreign ebook stores (I think all three are on Amazon.UK, if I remember correctly).

What's happening here? I understand regional restrictions, but what is cutting off the US market from books more than other English-speaking regions?

I understand I can jump around hoops and download this from UK ebook stores - but it's more of a hassle than I want to deal with. I ended up buying the paperback of Notwithstanding because I did not want to deal with VPN, stripping DRM, or whatnot. Too much of a waste of time.

Frankly, I even tried to find a pirated version (after buying the paperback, if that makes any of you moral-police feel better) because I don't want to drag the paperback around - but I couldn't find it. Also a change - you used to be able to find anything. Maybe he's just an unexciting author...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
The Little Prince is available on Amazon (US).
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
And also Notwhithstanding.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinekamel View Post
I get a big fat:
Quote:
"This title is not available for customers from:
United States"
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I get a big fat:
So do I.

Antoine sees it therefore apparently the book is available in Brazil.
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I have not run into this much before - but recently I ran into three books not being available as ebooks in the US.

Notwithstanding by Louis de Bernières
The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Geo-restrictions might play a part, but in the case of the Bradbury book, I'd be surprised if existed anywhere as a legal ebook. As far as know, the only legal ebook was Fahrenheit 451. He apparently OK'd the release of his back-list as ebooks, but I haven't seen any yet.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
i get the same one from notwithstanding but little prince lets me buy it and gives me the option of wich devide i wanna send it too
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I've been wanting Mary Stewart's books in digital form. Several months back most of them became available at Amazon.co.uk, but there are still none for sale in the U.S. It's very annoying.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
WOOT! Thanks a lot!

Yes, I checked your link and you are right - it is now available. I am fairly certain that must be recent, because I searched everywhere, about a month ago, and it was not available.

While I hate to be proven wrong, I am really glad you looked into it - it's nice it is finally available.

Last edited by vxf; 08-22-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
vxf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinekamel View Post
No, not available in the US, unfortunately. At least, it won't let me buy it. But thanks for the link, I appreciate you looking into it.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I too am awaiting Bradbury's backlist. They were some of my favorites when I was growing up.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #12
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I've been wanting Mary Stewart's books in digital form. Several months back most of them became available at Amazon.co.uk, but there are still none for sale in the U.S. It's very annoying.
Her four Arthurian books are available as a bundle for $6.99 from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Arthuri.../dp/B007QXWCQE
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #13
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post

Also available on Smashwords for those who want epub for non-Kindle devices.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post

There has been some question on a few Stewart fan sites as to if those are legit licensed versions or not. The eBook claims that "KGStudios holds exclusive worldwide rights to digitally distribute this title", but no one can seem to find any info on KGStudios. Anyone know if these are legit?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:14 PM   #15
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
There has been some question on a few Stewart fan sites as to if those are legit licensed versions or not. The eBook claims that "KGStudios holds exclusive worldwide rights to digitally distribute this title", but no one can seem to find any info on KGStudios. Anyone know if these are legit?
William Morrow published the series beginning in 1970. William Morrow is now an imprint of HarperCollins. Seeing as HC did a hardcover reprint of this series in '04, I'm suspicious too. Granted, HC may not have the digital rights but does KGStudios? Of course, that's why a lot of books from that era aren't in ebook form...who has the rights?