Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-09-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Comics: pbook or ebook versions?

I was visiting B&N this weekend as I usually do, and saw a lot of new and nice comics on sale, paper version of course.

The pbook versions were amazingly nice, reminded me my young days when I collected up to 1000 comics, until mom finally tossed them to trash by mistake, hahahaha...

If you have collected or have comics, do you prefer the electronic versions?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I collected comics as a early teen in the early 1980s and stopped when the comic prices kept going up but my allowance didn't. It wasn't until after I got my first e-ink reader that I started reading again, catching up with titles I used to read, plus more titles, plus manga. I'm ebook only for economic reasons-- the archive of CBRs I've accumulated would likely cost tens of thousands of dollars if I bought print copies of all of them. But if I had an unlimited budget, I'd want print copies of the color comics, but would be fine with remaining ebook only with black and white ones.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I like a mixture of both. For some of my favorite series, I get them in both. Otherwise, I'll just do price-hunting and get some in e-form and some in p-form depending on which deal is better.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
RVS78
Letter Puncher
RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablets
I used to collect P-comics back in high school (early to mid 1990s). Shelf space became an issue as well as the price (it became a very expensive hobby), so I let my brother have what he wanted then sold the rest. These days I just snag the occasional TPB (in print). Since the tablet purchase I've been getting into digital comics. I actually skipped on Free Comic Book Day this year - I'm more selective on what makes it on the shelf, this goes for books too. I'm also starting to play catch-up on some titles in cbr/cbz format.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
When it comes to comic books, I collect printed material exclusively. The electronic versions just aren't ready for me yet. But they are getting there, they are getting there.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
You need a large color tablet to enjoy e comics. Also, they are priced too high right now, and the selection is haphazard. It seems the publishers are still in experimental mode when it comes to e comics.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I was visiting B&N this weekend as I usually do, and saw a lot of new and nice comics on sale, paper version of course.

The pbook versions were amazingly nice, reminded me my young days when I collected up to 1000 comics, until mom finally tossed them to trash by mistake, hahahaha...

If you have collected or have comics, do you prefer the electronic versions?
I think it was part of the job description for moms to toss out their son's comic book collections.

Now that I'm older, I prefer the electronic versions. I like to keep things simple. I'm not a fan of having stacks of milk crates or boxes filled with physical comics.

I now buy comic sets stored on DVDs. I especially pick up sets of comics that I couldn't get when I was a kid (couldn't afford it). For the price of a single vintage issue I can get the entire series in cbz/cbr format.

Swiping through the pages of "Famous Monsters of Filmland" may not be the same as flipping a page, but Forrey's corny puns are just as... corny.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I saw this thread as I was looking at prices for Elfquest comics and I found out that the Pinis have them all to look at online! You can't save them or anything but you can look at them on the website.

http://www.elfquest.com/gallery/OnlineComics3.html

That being said and to stay on topic, put me down as pBooks for comics. I am currently collecting Bill Willingham's Fables graphic novels and Joe Hill's Locke & Key in pBook format. I have Gaiman's Sandman in pBook. I am considering replacing my original quest Elfquest comics because a goodly proportion have been lost or fallen apart but it would sure be expensive!

Last edited by covingtoncat73; 05-10-2011 at 09:09 PM.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
When it comes to comics and manga, I'm currently staying with the printed version. As another poster has mentioned, the main issues for me is cost. Right now I doubt I could afford an ereader with a color screen that is large enough and with a high enough resolution to display them well.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #10
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I had a pbook/TBP collection in the thousands. I stopped collecting 15 years ago and got rid of more than half. I have about 10 boxes and 2 shelves in my library left. I have a large collection on CDs such as Archie/Betty & Veronica/Jughead, Star Trek, M.A.D., Silver Surfer, X-Men, Fantastic Four, and countless Public Domain comics. I don't even touch the comics anymore only the CBR/CBZ/PDF versions. They all live on my 64GB iPad along with several magazines. I also donated my National Geographic collection (35 years worth) and got the DVD set. Whenever I can find a magazine I like that offers a CD of their back issues I get it. I have Rollingstone, Southwest Art, iCreate, Tatoo, Home & Garden...and several others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chamber of Chills.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	71237   Click image for larger version

Name:	BION Gold Key.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	71238   Click image for larger version

Name:	teenbrides.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	71239  

Last edited by pagansoul; 05-11-2011 at 11:42 AM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
With an iPad, comic books are working much better than I expected*, and I'm quite happy with using it for reading comics. Might still want to purchase a paper version of the few special ones though.

* the screen is almost half the size of standard sized European comic books but even at 60% the original size it's looks good and text is easy to read.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #12
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Interesting comments.

I wonder how the electronic versions can replace the "collectible" feature of the pbook ones. You are not able sell your ebook Mangas on ebay, are you? ... and some really old comics, in good conditions, sells for thousands ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #13
Joonbug1
Groupie
Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Scott McCloud predicted comic books would suffer from digital piracy and the internet, and funny enough, Alan Moore called him "full of bullocks" for his prediction back in the nineties... Guess the comics legend Mr. Moore was actually wrong about this one.
I also never thought we'd see the day where reading digital versions of comic books would even be a viable option, let alone the whole issue with piracy of books in general.
I wonder what else will come in the future?
Joonbug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #14
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joonbug1 View Post
Scott McCloud predicted comic books would suffer from digital piracy and the internet, and funny enough, Alan Moore called him "full of bullocks" for his prediction back in the nineties... Guess the comics legend Mr. Moore was actually wrong about this one.
Depends on what you mean by "suffer." Comics are able to be exposed much more deeply to a much wider audience than they ever could be when available only in paper version-- anyone so inclined can read the most expensive back issues of virtually any comic that a decade ago would have been accessible only to the very wealthy. Want a copy of the first appearance of Superman? No problem. Spiderman? Easy. Want to read the first 200 issues of the X-Men? You don't have to spend thousands of dollars and who knows how much time tracking down 40-year old stacks of pulp paper-- you need only know how to google the term "revised chronological x-men."

Piracy has done more to help comics than they have ever have before-- the deep OOP back catalog has been rescued from obscurity.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #15
Joonbug1
Groupie
Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well, to be fair, Scott McCloud also said he felt that people would want to transition to read comics more and more digitally compared to in paper form, whether by piracy or legit sales. Moore said he thought it was bullocks that people would ever want to read digitally when they have the option of a paper comic which is how they've always been in up to that time.

I agree that having more options is always a plus, as a reader.
Joonbug1 is offline   Reply With Quote