Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-21-2020, 06:10 AM   #1
garethd
garethd began at the beginning.

Device: None
How to export PDFs as Fixed-Layout ePubs in Calibre?

I'd like to be able to export a PDF as a Fixed-Layout ePub within Calibre. However, I can't see an option for it under the export settings...
garethd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:26 AM   #2
rjwse@aol.com
Addict
rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle epub readers on android
If I understand the 2 concepts of EPUB and PDF, it is that PDFs are fixed on the page and invariable to line length and EPUBs are not fixed to any particular page size, font size, or line length. EPUBs reflow as needed and PDFs are as invariable as printed paper. Also, it is very, very tough to start with a PDF and convert it to EPUB. It can be done and I frequently do it, but there is a lot of clean-up afterward. Best regards, Pop
rjwse@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2020, 06:35 AM   #3
garethd

Thanks for your comment. I'm aware that you can create 'fixed format' ePubs in, for example, InDesign (which I've done a lot of) but converting a PDF to one is completely new to me! Do you know if there's any way within Calibre to achieve this? What software would you use to produce a fixed format ePub? Or I guess you've stuck with 'reflowable' each time?
Old 08-21-2020, 07:19 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre has no support for fixed layout epub, at all
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:22 AM   #5
garethd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre has no support for fixed layout epub, at all
Oh no way!? That's annoying! Can you advise of any other software I could use to produce fixed-format ePubs? Thank you
Advert
Old 08-21-2020, 07:38 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No clue, sorry. I am not a fan of the concept.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:34 AM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
There are inconsistencies in how fixed-layout is handled by different platforms. For example Amazon has fixed layout variations for children's book and comics that are very proprietary and don't work on any other platform. Most e-book sellers will accept a PDF instead and it will probably work better.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:01 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by garethd View Post
I'd like to be able to export a PDF as a Fixed-Layout ePub within Calibre. However, I can't see an option for it under the export settings...
Use InDesign if you want to create PDF and fixed layout ePubs.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 12:47 PM   #9
locofocos
locofocos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm interested in converting to fixed-layout ebooks. Here's my use case:

I want to display an old book for children with the original images, type setting, page layout, etc. It's available in various formats, like PDF, jpegs, etc. https://archive.org/details/readingliteratur00trea

When I upload the PDF to my kindle, it has big margins around the screen. This type of image-only book would ideally display fullscreen, since the images themselves already have margins. I found a page discussing how to make books display full-screen https://www.kdpcommunity.com/s/quest...language=en_US and this requires a "fixed layout ebook". Amazon gives some documentation on this here https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/to...GU359TQLKDJZZH and it looks like it's just a few metadata lines in the OPF file.

I tried manually editing the OPF file before Calibre sends the book to my Kindle Touch, but it has no effect.

The other alternatives we have available:
- Convert to JPEGs, drag the folder / zip file into images, then they appear fullscreen. The downside is that it doesn't remember your position, or support navigating to a certain page.
- Use an app like Komic. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...70#post2121570 A more native experience would be great.
- Jailbreak and use the margin tweak from JP Patch. I haven't gotten it working yet.
locofocos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 01:32 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For what it is worth, I've created a couple of ebooks for kids. I used the image only approach so each page is an image using an svg wrapper to fit it to the page. Adding a negative left and right margin helped to reduce the margins when I converted a couple to KF8/azw3 for one kid.

The major disadvantage to the image only approach is that the final book size is overly large.

The issue with an Fixed Layout (AKA FLO) ePub is that every element is set to a fixed location on the page. No reflow, no changing font sizes, etc. You may as well use a PDF. Just changing the OPF by adding:

Code:
    <meta property="rendition:layout">pre-paginated</meta>
    <meta property="rendition:orientation">portrait</meta>
    <meta property="rendition:spread">none</meta>
to the OPF will not help.

edit: Attached sample for one sentence in a FLO ePub3.

Spoiler:
<div class="liw c44 c45 c46 c47 c48 c175 c176 c177 c178 c179 c17A c6F c7 c70" style="top:931px;min-width:471px">
<span class="w c30 c95 f22 c71"> At </span><span class="w c99 f22 c71">the </span><span class="w cC8 cA3 f22 c71">heart </span><span class="w c5C c8B f22 c71">of </span><span class="w c8D cC6 f22 c71">Hogwarts </span><span class="w c9F c21 cA9 f22 c71">School</span>
</div>

<div class="liw c17A c6F c7 c70 c17B" style="top:976px">
<span class="w c136 c8A f22 c71"> of </span><span class="w c96 f22 c71" style="width:168px">Witchcraft </span><span class="w c7B f22 c71">and </span><span class="w c17C c82 f22 c71">Wizardry </span><span class="w c21 f22 c71" style="width:47px">are</span>
</div>

<div class="liw c44 c45 c46 c47 c48 c17A c6F c7 c70 cAC cAD cAE cAF cB0 c17D" style="top:1021px">
<span class="w c148 c12E f22 c71"> the </span><span class="w cA3 f22 c71" style="width:139px">teachers </span><span class="w c82 cD8 f22 c71">that </span><span class="w cAA c17E f22 c71">reside </span><span class="w c21 c94 cA5 f22 c71">there.</span>
</div>

All that to put this sentence on the screen:

At the heart of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry are the teachers that reside there.

Last edited by DNSB; 09-10-2023 at 01:41 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 02:33 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's pointless. A PDF works better than fixed layout epub or FXL Kindle. Better supported.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, epub, fixed format, pdf and calibre