Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 08-19-2018, 08:06 AM   #1
MizSuz
Connoisseur
MizSuz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura, Android w/CoolReader
Server Requires Login Multiple Times in a Row

I'm running Calibre 3.29 content server on a Windows 7 desktop computer. I recently went to login required accounts on the server. Several of my accounts are experiencing the server requiring logging in several times in a row before allowing access. And sometimes you can just hit "Cancel" and it'll let you in anyway even if you haven't entered anything.

I don't allow accounts to modify my server but otherwise the set up is out-of-the-box. No https required.

Is there something I've done wrong to make the server repeatedly require login?
MizSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:17 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC this was a bug in some versions of the Chrome browser. Try using a different browser and you should be fine.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2018, 05:56 AM   #3
MizSuz
Connoisseur

Welp, the issue seems to go away with the Samsung browser so I do believe you recall correctly. Thanks, Kovid!
Old 08-20-2018, 06:25 AM   #4
MizSuz
Connoisseur

Oops. Spoke too soon. Let me use it for a while and see if it continues to require multiple log in attempts with the Samsung browser, too. So far it did it only once.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:41 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Isn't the samsung browser simply a wrapper around chrome anyway?
Advert
Old 08-23-2018, 11:22 AM   #6
MizSuz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Isn't the samsung browser simply a wrapper around chrome anyway?
Good question. I don't know. On my desktop I use Pale Moon, which is a pared down version of firefox that I like quite a lot, but it's not perfect. I get no login issues from the server using Pale Moon, but it won't really allow me to read in the browser. It crashes or won't open. But I know when you launched the server reader you said that it was compatible with a limited number of browsers so I expected that and worked around it.

But the truth is that I've been using the calibre server reader as my primary reading device on my mobiles (Chrome and Samsung) and it was fairly flawless, with the exception of having to over ride the browser's default sans-serif font with custom css, until I went to accounts. I figure it'll be something silly that I haven't set right, or a browser issue.

I may try the Lion browser and see how that goes.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:53 PM   #7
MizSuz
Connoisseur

Ok then. The Brave browser (which is probably what I meant when I said Lion because the icon is a lion - duh) threw the multiple sign-in error, as well as that Uncaught IndexSizeError I was getting on that one book, but the Firefox browser had no such issues at all.

So, repeat login issues using Pale Moon and Chrome on a desktop; and Samsung, Chrome, and Brave on an android mobile (Galaxy Note 8), but not on Firefox on the Android. I haven't tried firefox on the desktop. I can't remember the last time I updated it.

I also had Mac users (desktop) complain about multiple log ins using Safari, but I told them that wasn't one of the browsers you supported and to try a more mainstream one. I haven't heard back yet about that.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:58 PM   #8
MizSuz
Connoisseur

And I just updated Pale Moon (which was a large, full version update with big coding changes in it) and now Pale Moon is working flawlessly both in login and with the browser reader. This is the first time Pale Moon as been able to use the browser reader, so that's nice. It's also my preferred desktop browser so - win!
Old 08-23-2018, 10:59 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm I'll have to look into how Chrome/Safari broke HTTP auth to see if I can work around the multiple login issue.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:31 PM   #10
MizSuz
Connoisseur

FYI - I turned off accounts today and I am no longer throwing errors in those books (in ANY browser) and, of course, the log-in stuff isn't at issue.

I'm going to cross post about the book errors stopping on the other post I made about the errors so that it's in the right place. But I'm thinking it's the accounts being turned on that hosed me up.