Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-10-2023, 03:59 PM   #46
Amon_Re
Zealot
Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Poketbook Inkpad 3 & Boyue Likebook Minas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
Well, a purely theoretical possibility to look up words is a poor consolation when they are nowhere to be found

I think the goldendict approach is easier to support, since it doesn't matter whether or not it's included in the dictionary - the rules are handled by a separate dictionary: hunspell. And hunspell dictionaries are available for almost all major languages with some notable - agglutinative - exceptions.
I'm not at all familiar with goldendict, I'd like to read (hah!) more about it if you got some links.

Quote:
Yes, out of those I'd only expect maybe French to offer any sort of trouble. But it's no surprise that it's well supported. But for Slavic languages one has to resort to Android for dictionary support. Not to mention something like Finnish - which also works well on Android.
Honestly I'm kinda surprised about any issue's with Slavic languages, Isn't Pocketbook originally founded in Ukraine?
Amon_Re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 09:33 PM   #47
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon_Re View Post
I'm not at all familiar with goldendict, I'd like to read (hah!) more about it if you got some links.
In the U.S. I use the Webster's New Unabridged Dictionary. Very complete. But I only speak English and there seems to be a lot of good choices for the PocketBook there.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 10:35 PM   #48
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Well, a purely theoretical possibility to look up words is a poor consolation when they are nowhere to be found

I think the goldendict approach is easier to support, since it doesn't matter whether or not it's included in the dictionary - the rules are handled by a separate dictionary: hunspell. And hunspell dictionaries are available for almost all major languages with some notable - agglutinative - exceptions.

Yes, out of those I'd only expect maybe French to offer any sort of trouble. But it's no surprise that it's well supported. But for Slavic languages one has to resort to Android for dictionary support. Not to mention something like Finnish - which also works well on Android.
I didn't know that the rules were available in the hunspell packages. Perhaps it wouldn't be that difficult to translate some of the rules to Pocketbook's custom format. Maybe someone could take a look at that for a rainy day project. Thanks for the info.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 12:22 AM   #49
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't worry about "outdated" technology. I still use some readers that are over ten years old. Never did care if I had the newest technology. What I've seen with many of the newer readers (with their new "high tek") is that the battery life is diminishing. The screen and battery (with workable firmware) are the most important features to me. PocketBooks (as they are) do a good job for me.
I'm talking about the outdated screen of the upcoming Inkpad Color 2 - Kaleido 2
Quote:
If you're talking about the current line of PocketBooks, the development work has already been done. The code base already exists. My PocketBook HD 3 is being maintained not reinvented each time an update is applied to it.
And from the New PocketBook InkPad X Pro - Powered by Android!
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 12:46 AM   #50
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon_Re View Post

Honestly I'm kinda surprised about any issue's with Slavic languages, Isn't Pocketbook originally founded in Ukraine?
It's just an Android dictionary app (it seems like they also have an ancient Linux program):

http://goldendict.mobi/ (Official website for the Android version)
https://play.google.com/store/search...hl=en_US&gl=US
http://goldendict.org/download.php (Linux version)

On the Russian forums of 4pda.ru they also provide modified versions that work slightly better on e-ink.

Yes, Pocketbook was started in Ukraine, but is now based in Switzerland, as far as I know. Still, this doesn't seem to have helped

And this whole business with Kindle, Kobo and Pocketbook all using their own (proprietary) standard all but guarantees that the situation will not be resolved - there's not enough will and/or manpower to rework these dictionaries into a myriad of formats to work on all platforms. It would be better if they just incorporated some existing (open) standard.

The best thing would be for Koreader to incorporate hunspell support. That would instantly solve all dictionary needs on all of these platforms (excluding newer Kindles).
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 09:03 AM   #51
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
An Android update has also been added to the list of new updates (Android Firmware_U), so I think it is quite possible that it will work on the Android operating system.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 04:52 PM   #52
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
An Android update has also been added to the list of new updates (Android Firmware_U), so I think it is quite possible that it will work on the Android operating system.
List of updates for which models?
Old 05-21-2023, 03:22 PM   #53
ChooChoo
ChooChoo began at the beginning.

Device: Nova Air
One thing to note about android devices is the battery life. My Boox Nova Air battery life does not last very long compared to a kindle ereader. Even using them with wifi android seems to suck down the battery.

I mostly used my ereaders offline with wifi turned off. Pocketbook seemed like they made devices for this but maybe they are changing direction?
ChooChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 06:18 PM   #54
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChoo View Post
One thing to note about android devices is the battery life. My Boox Nova Air battery life does not last very long compared to a kindle ereader. Even using them with wifi android seems to suck down the battery.

I mostly used my ereaders offline with wifi turned off. Pocketbook seemed like they made devices for this but maybe they are changing direction?
I don't own any Android eInk readers, but my impression by what I've read is that there not as good. I'm impressed with the battery life on my PocketBooks and I'm leery of the move to Android. (Hopefully this is just for the one model.)

Last edited by rcentros; 05-23-2023 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Original was incoherent.
Old 05-23-2023, 12:48 AM   #55
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChoo View Post

While this is true to some extent the Nova Air has a small battery compared to earlier models. My Nova 3 has a 3000 mAh battery, whereas the Air models have a 2000 mAh battery.

In my experience, the Leaf 2 and the Nova 3 are slightly worse than the Kobo Libra 2. All of them are much worse than my Kindles when it comes to battery life.

So if battery life is the main concern, I'd say go for a Kindle or Pocketbook.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 03:06 AM   #56
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
There is no release date for this device, is there? Can't find any info.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 02:36 PM   #57
Cyfranek
Groupie
Cyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: PocketBok Era, Kindle Oasis 3, Bookeen Diva HD
I asked on IFA 2023 in Berlin while testing InkPad X Pro (http://cyfranek.booklikes.com/post/5...rgach-ifa-2023). They were unsure about the release date. Something like "within coming weeks or months, but this year".

Last edited by Cyfranek; 09-16-2023 at 03:44 AM.
Cyfranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 04:14 PM   #58
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfranek View Post
I asked on IFA 2023 in Berlin white testin InkPad X Pro (http://cyfranek.booklikes.com/post/5...rgach-ifa-2023). They were unsure about the release date. Something like "within coming weeks or months, but this year".
Cool, thanks!

So, you held the device in your hands, right? Do you mind sharing your impressions with us? What did you think of the screen?

Last edited by Andanzas; 09-15-2023 at 04:16 PM.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 03:46 AM   #59
Cyfranek
Groupie
Cyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: PocketBok Era, Kindle Oasis 3, Bookeen Diva HD
Yes, there are some impressions on my blog: http://cyfranek.booklikes.com/post/5...rgach-ifa-2023
Cyfranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 03:27 AM   #60
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Thanks for the report from the IFA @cyfranek! It sounds like it is mostly OK in terms of speed, but the pen code needs some serious work to reduce latency.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote