Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-30-2020, 09:56 PM   #136
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
1) Typical fanboy answer; never admit the device/software is in error or has a bug. The user is the device/software is perfect; that is how so many nasty jokes about users were made.
Well, there are ways to damage the database on the device that aren't firmware related. Unfortunately, there is no way to prove what the cause was. My experience is that the database corruptions are rare, and caused by something I did. Based on other reports, there has to be something else going on, but, I have no idea what.

But, the other part of your report is what I would have questioned the most. Kobo devices do not access random web sites. If you are reading a book that has an external link and tap the link it will attempt to open the link. Which I a sure your Kindle will do as well.

And for the device to connect to a web site, if first has to have a WiFi connection. If you do something that wants to access the internet (click a link in a book, do a manual sync, use the store, use the web/Wikipedia search), unless a known WiFi service is visible, you will be prompted to connect to one of the visible services.

Overall, what you reported happening at the doctor's office is unlike anything I have seen described here. Of course, it had so few details that I can't actually be sure of what was happening.
Quote:
2) Wrong. My Kindle still works better than the Kobo Aura One LE for me.
Which is the only important thing. Use the device that works for you.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:51 PM   #137
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't want to have to edit the CSS for every book I've put on my reader.

How difficult is it for me to edit the dictionary? Could you post some baby-steps instructions if it's not too involved?
Figured it out.

Changed all to 3. We'll see how it goes.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:48 AM   #138
Flaviocc
Zealot
Flaviocc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PPW5 / Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Figured it out.

Please, you can point how?

It's a. Dic file?

Tks
Flaviocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:45 PM   #139
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
You don't work for Amazon and don't program Kindles. So you can't say that for certain.
Yes I can. It's doable with KF8. Amazon idn't want to and thus created KFX to have yet more lock in. With KFX, DRM free eBooks are no longer DRM free.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:48 PM   #140
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Right, right. The question is how to edit your dictionary to change from 2/2 to 3/3. Can you post instructions on how to do that? I've never messed with dictionary files, aside from adding yours through the download here.

You said you edited with Libre Office, so I guess my Microsoft office will work. Do I use Word? Excel? Once I open with whatever, where do I look? You know, simple instructions (if it is a simple process, otherwise I'll just leave it as it).
I said the dictionary was a Libre Office hyphenation dictionary.

To edit the dictionary, use 7-ZIP and go into the KoboRoo.tpz file. Extract the dictionary. Edit it in a text editor such as notepad++ as I don't know what the line endings are. Change the values at the top of the dictionary and put the changed file back in the KoboRoot.tpz and voila, done.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:31 PM   #141
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Well, there are ways to damage the database on the device that aren't firmware related. Unfortunately, there is no way to prove what the cause was. My experience is that the database corruptions are rare, and caused by something I did. Based on other reports, there has to be something else going on, but, I have no idea what.

But, the other part of your report is what I would have questioned the most. Kobo devices do not access random web sites. If you are reading a book that has an external link and tap the link it will attempt to open the link. Which I a sure your Kindle will do as well.

And for the device to connect to a web site, if first has to have a WiFi connection. If you do something that wants to access the internet (click a link in a book, do a manual sync, use the store, use the web/Wikipedia search), unless a known WiFi service is visible, you will be prompted to connect to one of the visible services.

Overall, what you reported happening at the doctor's office is unlike anything I have seen described here. Of course, it had so few details that I can't actually be sure of what was happening.

Which is the only important thing. Use the device that works for you.
Whatever. I did wait for the usb to do its thing before having windows 'safely eject' the kobo. Does the KA1 goes to 'sleep' immediately when the case cover is closed?

I did not attempt to access a web site as I do never used the Kobo with a web browser; also the fact that I was unable to kill the app/browser/whatever several times which included several shutdowns makes me believe that something got thru when the OTA update happened. The doctor's office do not have wifi access for patients. I did not install any browser onto the KA1 so the app was from either overdrive or something else from Kobo.

Yesterday, I experienced a lockup with the msg of taking care of the updates. Was not able to get out of it no matter where I touched. Pressed the button to turn on without success; tried pressing the button for over 30 seconds without anything happening.

Decided to connect to a usb charger thinking that it was a low battery problem; saw that the power meter on the usb cable register around .03 amp (I think) which tells me the KA1 is not needing much charging. Unplugged the usb & KA1 msg says low battery & continue charging. Also an OTA update was now done to be firmware 4.21. Reconnected the usb cable & after a checked back after around 1 hour & the the display showed the sleep mode screen 'wallpaper' & saying it is in sleep mode.

Tapped to wake up the KA1, then saw the home screen & tapped the dammed battery icon to see the battery percentage; the display showed 97 %. I do not think that the lock down was due to a low battery as I do not believe that the battery got charged from nearly 0% to 97% in 1 hour.

Anyway, my preferred book reader is now a Samsung S5e tablet; both KA1 & Oasis needed to have the brightness level very high to get a good contrast & comfort for my eyesight.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:01 PM   #142
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Figured it out.

Please let us know how it goes. If it goes well, I'll edit the hyphenation dictionary to 3/3 for those who read mostly KePub. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:02 PM   #143
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
@crane3: I was trying to take the high road but with your latest response, I think it's time to ask a few questions about your tale of woe and some of the odd little details in it.

Quote:
1) picked up the KAO1 for charging in prep for doctor's visit next day
2) got msg about new firmware & so did the OTA new firmware while charging
3) at the Dr's office, opened the KAO1, which was in nickle mode, the KAO1 insist on connecting to a website that began with 's' as far as I can remember. Shutdown the KAO1 2 or 3 times & waited the 30+ sec in hope that the crap would disappear.
4) no good, but was able to select koreader after another shutdown & was able to read while waiting for the doctor.
Perhaps you should have used the partial update option from within KOReader? But then you would have mentioned having used that functionality—or perhaps not since that would make it potentially a KOReader issue making it harder to blame your woes on Kobo.

Continuing on, a Kobo installed OTA update would have wiped your launcher (KSM, KFMOn, AdvBoot, etc.) making it impossible to start KOReader. Which leads to the question as to how you were able to start KOReader at the doctor's office after a firmware update without a launcher installed? Feel free to answer⁠—I've believed as many as 6 impossible things before breakfast.

Quote:
1) Typical fanboy answer; never admit the device/software is in error or has a bug. The user is the device/software is perfect; that is how so many nasty jokes about users were made.
Fanboy? Perhaps. I do like Kobo ereaders the best of those I have used though I think I am more than willing to admit bugs exist, i.e., they are replicable.

OTOH, someone who is unable to give a consistent story of how a firmware update trashed their ereader? Simply plaintive.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-31-2020 at 09:53 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:46 PM   #144
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaviocc View Post
Please, you can point how?

It's a. Dic file?

Tks
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To edit the dictionary, use 7-ZIP and go into the KoboRoo.tpz file. Extract the dictionary. Edit it in a text editor such as notepad++ as I don't know what the line endings are. Change the values at the top of the dictionary and put the changed file back in the KoboRoot.tpz and voila, done.
Yes, that. I edited it with WordPad on Windows 10. I don't think you need to even extract the dictionary. Just use 7-Zip to open the KoboRoot.tgz until you get to the dictionary and open it there.

I changed all four values to 3. Things seem much nicer to me. No weird hyphenations.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:50 AM   #145
HolyAura
Groupie
HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Tapped to wake up the KA1, then saw the home screen & tapped the dammed battery icon to see the battery percentage; the display showed 97 %. I do not think that the lock down was due to a low battery as I do not believe that the battery got charged from nearly 0% to 97% in 1 hour.
Actually that's possible. My Clara HD can get charged from 0 to 100% in less than an hour.
HolyAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:15 AM   #146
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimminstones View Post
Had a kindle for a long time, last year i bought a kobo Libra H20 to try something new. Im going to go back to Kindle i think. The Kobo has an annoying bug that every now and then it freezes up and restarts, losing my last read position. Its a nice device but is unusable like that. The Kindle never had an issue once, plus im now an amazon prime subscriber so makes sense to use their Prime reading function too.
If it were mine, I'd erease all books and put them back one by one or at least in batched of five or ten each day. Most problems no one else has are caused by a corrupted file.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:12 AM   #147
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I'd like to say something about this whole thread that people keep forgetting when they have their mine-is-best battles:

We should be glad there is more than one company out there! Not only for everyone to find something they love, but because competion is the driving force for development.

This is why even though I am a "fangirl" and like one manufacturer best, I am very happy that other companies exist. Otherwise we might still be using our unlit 212 dpi or even less 2GB, 6inch readers. We would be happy with it, just as we were a decade ago, but we would have missed out on a lot of really exiting development.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:12 AM   #148
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
I'd like to say something about this whole thread that people keep forgetting when they have their mine-is-best battles:

We should be glad there is more than one company out there! Not only for everyone to find something they love, but because competion is the driving force for development.

This is why even though I am a "fangirl" and like one manufacturer best, I am very happy that other companies exist. Otherwise we might still be using our unlit 212 dpi or even less 2GB, 6inch readers. We would be happy with it, just as we were a decade ago, but we would have missed out on a lot of really exiting development.
Yes - it's good to have competition.
And different people value different aspects of their ereaders, so it's good to have choices available.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:50 PM   #149
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
@crane3: I was trying to take the high road but with your latest response, I think it's time to ask a few questions about your tale of woe and some of the odd little details in it.

Perhaps you should have used the partial update option from within KOReader? But then you would have mentioned having used that functionality—or perhaps not since that would make it potentially a KOReader issue making it harder to blame your woes on Kobo.

Continuing on, a Kobo installed OTA update would have wiped your launcher (KSM, KFMOn, AdvBoot, etc.) making it impossible to start KOReader. Which leads to the question as to how you were able to start KOReader at the doctor's office after a firmware update without a launcher installed? Feel free to answer⁠—I've believed as many as 6 impossible things before breakfast.

Fanboy? Perhaps. I do like Kobo ereaders the best of those I have used though I think I am more than willing to admit bugs exist, i.e., they are replicable.

OTOH, someone who is unable to give a consistent story of how a firmware update trashed their ereader? Simply plaintive.
I haven't heard of 'partial update' before. Don't remember the menu's name but it always worked for me after an update, whether OTA or by usb. Never entered my mind that an firmware update would mess up a launcher/display screen; didn't happen with Kindle, Android, Chrome OS or windows.

Other than the launcher/menu & Koreader, my KA1 is 'naked' as I have not installed any patches. This latest 4.21 firmware update the other day, did not disable my menu selection for either doing nickle or koreader. Your claiming that a firmware update will destroy the launcher/menu is inadequate. Oh, I think the launcher(?) was KSM09 or something like that as that was recommended over KMON.

I think I have always did the firmware update process selecting the 'recommended'/controlled way. Reread your comment & think that you are thinking the updates were for Koreader & not the KA1. That brings the question whether Koreader is the culprit as I thought the notice about "handling your updates first" meant that it was a firmware update & not an application update; & that the app update can lock up the KA1 from doing anything; & that means a bug in the OS.

Don't think I did a check on what firmware version after an OTA update except this last one when someone claimed the 4.21 will solve things as it will provide a 'better reading experience'. AND the menu launcher still works after the OTA firmware 4.21 update as I still had a choice of selection Koreader or Nickle; selected Nickle as it does not lock my library listing to be alphabetical.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:40 PM   #150
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post

Well said. I'd give you more karma if I could...

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote