Notices

Old 05-23-2020, 02:26 AM   #1
Killerby
Killerby began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
error starting Calibre

Hello.

I get this message starting Calibre..
What is the solution to solve this, anybody?
I have the Dutch version also de portable version has the same error.
Already tried to rebuild the database no difference
not able to insert/add ne books.

With Regards Dick
-------------------------

calibre, version 4.9.1
FOUT: Opstartfout: Er is een fout opgetreden bij het starten van calibre. delen van calibre functioneren mogelijk niet. Klik "Toon details" voor meer informatie.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 292, in initialize_db_stage2
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 236, in start_gui
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 434, in initialize
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\init.py", line 781, in save_layout_state
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\views.py", line 636, in save_state
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\views.py", line 630, in write_state
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 62, in call_func_with_lock
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 616, in set_pref
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 134, in set
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 130, in __setitem__
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 874, in execute
File "c:\t\t\apsw-r08j4l0g\src\cursor.c", line 236, in resetcursor
CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file
Killerby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:51 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
ecluse the calibre library folder from your ativirus/security program.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:11 AM   #3
Killerby

which virus program and how do I this?

I had CCcleaner installed, now removed , no difference.
For now not new started my pc.

MBAM installed and windows defender.
Where is the problem?

regards
Dick
Old 05-23-2020, 05:47 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Where (drive path) is your Library?

Defender and Malwarebytes usually play nice with Calibre (A performance gain can be had by excluding the Library from the ACTIVE scan. Books are/should be scanned when they arrive in downloads )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:53 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't run Malwarebytes, but I do run Windows Security and it does play nice with Calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:39 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
i do run malwarebytes, have done for years. if that is installed correctly it will not mess with calibre

So between us we are asserting the Malwarebytes + Windows defender + calibre + calibre portable should all happily co-exist

but anyway, a simple 1st test is to boot the PC in safe mode & see if calibre starts ok then.

then, as asked in #4 we need to know where the databases ( main version and portable version) are. and do the folders look OK i.e. can you see author subfolders and you see metadata.db in both

it is possible that CCleaner did something bad before you removed it e.g. if you let it "clean" the registry ( never a good move)
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:43 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Been using CCleaner most every Sunday night to clean up files and the registry for a decade or more, I've never had a problem with it. I also use Defender and MWB.

As for slowing things down, don't have that either. I turned everything off once, Defender, MWB, Indexers (Windows, File Locator, and X1) - made no discernible difference to calibre performance, or any similar programs, made a bit of difference to large multi-file copies and moves. My data is on Sata III and USB 3 WD Caviar Black HDDs.

If the library is in Documents, it could be Protected Folders sticking its oar in, again.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:11 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

If the library is in Documents, it could be Protected Folders sticking its oar in, again.

BR
I thought that, but would it affect the portable version also/ I guess that depends on what library folder the portable uses ?

as for registry cleaning, I thought that had been proven to be a snake oil fix long ago.
it may not do any harm, but its sure ain't going to speed anything up. even if a cleaner miraculously finds 5,000 entries to delete, it will have no actual effect on performance,
see here for specific ref. to CCleaner
https://blog.ipswitch.com/should-you...-like-ccleaner
they say it much better than I can:
"Piriform's CCleaner is Snake Oil
Piriform (now owned by Avast) is run by smart individuals who get marketing. Do not let them fool you. They want you to believe that their Windows registry cleaner is the 2nd coming. Piriform has cashed in on our eagerness to increase PC performance and fed into our undying euphoria of deleting things on our computer that we believe are useless. Piriform and CCleaner aren't the only ones out there. Others include the Wise Registry Cleaner, Glarysoft Registry Repair, Frontline Registry Cleaner, and Auslogic Registry Cleaner."

and read on ( you can take it).... it gets better

But, I’d be willing to bet that many of us use CCLeaner because it also includes that shiny Windows registry cleaner. We are distracted by the user-friendly interface and immediately buy into all that it promises. I know not all of us fall for these tricks, but I did and I have plenty of friends (some of whom work in IT) who use it still.

My point is that CCleaner never really had anything going for it in the first place. There are plenty of free tools out there that can clean your browser history, cookies, and cache. So, in the wake of this supply chain attack on CCLeaner, none of us should feel any loyalty to this tool. And for any of us who use CCleaner just for the registry cleaner, take this as a moment of reflection, and admit that we got duped by snake oil salesmen.

Last edited by stumped; 05-23-2020 at 08:15 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:47 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
TL:DR

I am not going to change the system management practices I've been using for roughly 50 years on everything from IBM/360, DEC Vax, Tandem NonStop and PC's of various processors and OS's the basis of someone's scrawlings on an internet blog.

BTW the trojan that a disgruntled employee injected into the CCleaner installer when Piriform was acquired by Avast was detected by my installation of MS Defender at install time, but not by any of the AV tools at Virustotal (I tested it there at the time), nor by my installation of Malwarebytes.

Added: The reason I clean the registry regularly has nothing to do with performance. I do it to get rid of the crap so that it doesn't get in the way when I occasionally have to resort to editing the registry manually. And I get rid of the crap in small amounts so that I can understand its provenance and maybe take steps to prevent its reappearance.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-23-2020 at 07:22 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:01 AM   #10
Killerby

Cool problem solved

Hi Al,
Thanks for allthe answers .
Problem solved bij moving the database to a new location.

regards
Dick