Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-01-2020, 09:33 AM   #1
RotAnal
Connoisseur
RotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
diffent maximum sizes of the same cover in automatic and manual importations

Dear Sirs,
most of us know that when one imports a cover into a record through the clipboard or open file, when it is larger than a tweakable size threshold (default 1600 pixel) it will be resized to it, accordingly, the size ratio being preserved.
However, I have observed that the automatic importing of metadata through the add book feature, when the checkbox "Read metadata from file contents rather than file name" is set to true, and therefore a large cover is picked up from the respective bookfile, provides a cover size which is about 90% of the above mentioned threshold. Among the settings of this built-in "plug-in" there is unfortunately no mention about the covers and its maximum size.
Is there a way to make more size-consistent those different ways of putting cover on metadata?
Thanks for the attention
RotAnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:17 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Its a maximum size that is enforced whenever a cover is set for a book, regardless of where the cover comes from. Covers are resized to fit within the rectangle defined by that size, preserving aspect ratio.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:48 PM   #3
RotAnal
Connoisseur
RotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Dr. Goyal,
let me tell you that I have experienced this discrepancy still this afternoon.
I will just give a (worked) example:

The original cover in the pdf file is 2004x2832 (ratio 1.41)

If I let metadata (and cover) be automatically imported (through adding book plug-in), the cover will be resized as:

1004x1417 (ratio 1.41)

If I manually copy and paste it into book edit, the cover will be resized as:

1132x1600 (ratio 1.41)

While size ratio is approximately preserved anyway, the length (as well as height) of the former cover in the is about 88% of the latter. Where am I wrong?

Last edited by RotAnal; 04-01-2020 at 02:01 PM.
RotAnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:56 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Where you are wrong is assuming the image in the PDF file and the cover you are manually importing have the same dimensions.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote