Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-19-2019, 12:30 PM   #31
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnick View Post
I use an A2 as my phone in Canada (Telus - Ontario). Works fine. The biggest problem I have with it is the dialpad doesn't show letters so those passwords I need to tap into the phone are more difficult because I have to look up a dialpad online so I can figure out which letters correspond to which numbers.
Use a picture of a dial pad with letters as the lock-screen imagine on the eink side of the phone. Of course, that would only be beneficial if you were using the colour screen to insert passwords.

You might also be able to bring up an image of a suitable dial pad when using the split screen mode. That would likely work when using the eink screen for passwords.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:36 AM   #32
Bob Willis
Enthusiast
Bob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle, IPAD Pro, Boox Note
If the phone has a reasonable price and it is waterproof, I will consider to buy one in the future only for reading and I will still use IPAD for entertainment.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2019, 08:15 AM   #33
Kaitoku
Kaitoku began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Max 2
I dream of a eink smartphone, but I really do not want a dual screen phone. They are over-engineered.
Kaitoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:12 AM   #34
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitoku View Post
I dream of a eink smartphone, but I really do not want a dual screen phone. They are over-engineered.
Quite agree. Although I'm liking the dual screen A2 Pro more than I had anticipated, the colour screen is unnecessary. It just adds to the weight and the expense and the extra possibility for something to go wrong.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:41 AM   #35
Kaitoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Quite agree. Although I'm liking the dual screen A2 Pro more than I had anticipated, the colour screen is unnecessary. It just adds to the weight and the expense and the extra possibility for something to go wrong.
Right, I have a history of breaking screens on smartphones. Having two screens to break on one device is a nightmare!
Advert
Old 05-12-2019, 11:47 PM   #36
Kaitoku

I have just seen this new eink smartphone on indiegogo. It is called Kingrow K1. Apparently it will run with Andorid 8.1 without Google Play installed.

What do you think of this device?
Old 05-29-2019, 02:09 AM   #37
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitoku View Post
I have just seen this new eink smartphone on indiegogo. It is called Kingrow K1. Apparently it will run with Andorid 8.1 without Google Play installed.

What do you think of this device?
It's very interesting to have a single screen.
I'm a bit scared about gapps availability and buying a phone from an unknown manifacturer.
But in the end my feeling were the same when i took my first Onyx so...
i put the money in.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:45 AM   #38
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
It's very interesting to have a single screen.
I'm a bit scared about gapps availability and buying a phone from an unknown manifacturer.
But in the end my feeling were the same when i took my first Onyx so...
i put the money in.
It's very tempting and I wish you luck. However, although I would love a single screen eink phone, I have some reservations about this one.

I'm also wondering why they went for a flexible campaign and set such a low campaign goal. Would $5000 really have been sufficient to bring this device to market?

I think I'll wait to see how things unfold.

Hope you get your device. Please report back if you do to let us know how it holds up.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:15 AM   #39
Faeryink
Zealot
Faeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
I had a Yotaphone 2 for nearly 2 years. It was great. I found the screen a bit on the small side for reading. It was good for direct sunlight, and there were many random freezing with the eink screen. For me I have a small Iphone and Nova Pro on the move. I use Nova Pro for sketching and drawing outdoors and reading/writing on the move. Maybe a 5.5 inch e-ink screen (or even a 6 inch one) would be great which is sturdy water resistant, aluminium body and a stylus input. I suppose it sounds like a Galaxy Note crossed with an Iphone (aluminium case). I get less noticed when I am drawing outdoors on a phone than on a tablet/sketchpad. With the Nova Pro I pretend to read if there are curious passers by. I never draw human beings or their pets without their consent, but I suppose they dont know that.

It is extremely hard to find manufacturers who will not use brominated plastics (flame retardants) (Greenpeace reports and other environmental reports), as well as much information on the end of life/recycling status. E-ink is a necessity for me so I have the eink devices. I hope that Onyx Int. as well as many manufacturers should raise the environmental standards further. This is high up on my wish list rather than the price (I dont have a job and I am poor, but for me the environmental costs are more of a concern.)

Last edited by Faeryink; 05-29-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Faeryink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:07 AM   #40
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's very tempting and I wish you luck. However, although I would love a single screen eink phone, I have some reservations about this one.

I'm also wondering why they went for a flexible campaign and set such a low campaign goal. Would $5000 really have been sufficient to bring this device to market?

Hope you get your device. Please report back if you do to let us know how it holds up.
did you manage to find a good flip cover for your A2 pro ?
Old 05-29-2019, 11:45 AM   #41
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
did you manage to find a good flip cover for your A2 pro ?
Unfortunately not. The case which I ordered was a dead loss. You couldn't use the eink screen when it was in the case because half of the back screen was covered. If you then popped the phone out of the case and flipped it around to use the eink side, the cutouts for the side buttons didn't align with the buttons.

So I ended up ordering a silicone bumper case for protection in case of drops. It fits perfectly, but leaves both screens exposed which I didn't really want.

I then made a case out of paper mache to fit the phone in its silicone case. I then coated the paper mache with varnish. Not the most elegant thing, but it works very well. I made it in such a way that whichever side is facing up, the side buttons will be available to use.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:10 AM   #42
underscore
Addict

Quote:

Kingrow is starting to speak on the indiego page.
Basically the most important information so far it's that they are trying to have a google certification (GMS ?) in order to use play store but they are not confident into obtaining, by having a single eink screen.
As someone remarked that other android ereaders exists, like onyx, they said that all those other devices were produced more than one year ago and that now it's much more hard to get permission.
Are we gonna have an issue with new Onyx devices?
Old 01-13-2020, 03:18 AM   #43
M.I.H
M.I.H began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx boox note
Onyx Boox phone soon to be released

https://youtu.be/UCeRSD9wnlo

Last edited by M.I.H; 01-13-2020 at 03:21 AM.
M.I.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:07 AM   #44
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Unless you add colour or waterproofing, I don't know how you could beat hisense phones at this point.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:33 AM   #45
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
Unless you add colour or waterproofing, I don't know how you could beat hisense phones at this point.
Gotta agree with that. Originally, I had wanted a phone made by Onyx, but the more I use my Hisense A5, the more I love it. There would have to be some compelling feature to get me to switch now.