Notices

Old 06-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #46
AshW
Connoisseur
AshW doesn't litterAshW doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
BoBUK ..... And not one Sir Terry Pratchett book...
The thing is I suspect BoBUK is not a UK book store. It's the US bookstore filtered to remove the books where the publishers have limited distribution to the US.
AshW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshW View Post
The thing is I suspect BoBUK is not a UK book store. It's the US bookstore filtered to remove the books where the publishers have limited distribution to the US.
I e-mailed them earlier today, and received a reply saying that the UK bookstore is basically still in "testing", and that they intend to start selling books from UK publishers for UK customers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #48
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I e-mailed them earlier today, and received a reply saying that the UK bookstore is basically still in "testing", and that they intend to start selling books from UK publishers for UK customers.

that would explain why a fair number of books I looked at had no prices on them .... only rewards (! ).
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:32 PM   #49
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshW View Post
I suspected that too ....
Old 06-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I suspected that too ....
No, I asked that too. It is a UK bookstore and is charging VAT, whereas the US store does not.
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #51
GeoffC

Quote:
No, I asked that too. It is a UK bookstore and is charging VAT, whereas the US store does not.

Thanks Harry - good news - now we shall have to wait and see what its pricing is like .....
Old 06-29-2009, 12:59 PM   #52
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
It is a UK bookstore and is charging VAT, whereas the US store does not.
The good part of this is the increased competition among UK ebook retailers. This should reduce prices somewhat, although (as in the US) reducing the publisher's list price for ebooks would be more helpful still. When (as I think is still inevitable) Amazon releases the Kindle in the UK the price competition will really heat up.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #53
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The good part of this is the increased competition among UK ebook retailers. This should reduce prices somewhat, although (as in the US) reducing the publisher's list price for ebooks would be more helpful still. When (as I think is still inevitable) Amazon releases the Kindle in the UK the price competition will really heat up.

one of the 'problems' regarding pricing will be the varying book formats that could/need to be made available. kindle, for instance, has its own ...
Old 06-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #54
AshW
Connoisseur
AshW doesn't litterAshW doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
And don't even get me started on that one

But thanks for the research, glad they're taking it seriously and see an opportunity... competition is good and at least they know what they're doing (more than can be said for some UK sites!).
AshW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:27 PM   #55
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I think the main issue is the poor selection of stores and books available in the UK. If BoB do develop a useful UK site, it would hopefully encourage a significant improvement in the existing UK sites.
Additionally there is the issue over pricing and the quite remarkable costings. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a hardback book cheaper than the ebook equivalent. Hopefully these areas will be addressed.
ebooks should in my view be no dearer than their pback equivalents and I think there is a case for cheaper but...

I shall wait and see,
Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:38 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I have no idea about court challenges. But you keep saying you are a legal purchaser, and it seems that, if you are not in the US, you are not. Do you think that some foreigner that travels to the US and tries to buy ebooks there is not a legal purchaser?
Amazon would class that non-US resident as a non-legal purchaser without a US credit.bank card and US address. And I agree. There has to be a better way to tell who is legal other than an IP address.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #57
markbond1007
Connoisseur
markbond1007 doesn't littermarkbond1007 doesn't litter

Device: CyBook Gen3, Sony PRS-600
VAT? surely as books its a zero rated VAT rate?

Mark
markbond1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:05 PM   #58
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Apparently the powers that be have decided that as they are electronic they must be software and so get charged VAT.
As we all now have a very large bill to pay off as a result of the worldwide recent difficulties, I am sure we (in the UK) are all very pleased at this arrangement and will look forward to the increase in VAT that will come after March to help fund the repayments
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:33 PM   #59
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Bought a book as easily as ever from BoB tonight, no lying required. Gave my UK address, a UK phone number and a UK registered credit card. Angels & Demons $6.99, compared with £7.35 at Waterstones.com. Haven't dared clicked on BoB's UK store to check their price, just in case the US one stops working!
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:29 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbond1007 View Post
VAT? surely as books its a zero rated VAT rate?

Mark
No. Under the EU's "eCommerce Directive", eBooks count as "digital information" and are subject to the full rate of VAT.