Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-05-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
WHy TOLKIEN and LOTR are overrated!!!

This is worth posting just to get people angry for no reason. I could go into my own reasons for the BORING parts of LOTR but I will let a few of the links below help people to guide their way out of Middleearth:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-revi...rBy=addOneStar

http://coup-de-plume.blogspot.com/20...overrated.html

Yes, It will be fun to see Fantasy Freaks have a heart attack at anyone who would actually post an anti-LOTR thread. Fact is, I read the LOTR several times as well as other of Tolkien's works. I think he was a very interesting person. And, I loved to read him in my youth. BUT:

HELLO Character DEVELOPMENT

HELLO PACE

HELLO PEOPLE: THERE ARE OTHER BOOKS THAT HAVE BEEN WRITTEN.

I keep running into LOTR freaks that reming me of Deadheads, Ayn Rand Freaks or Harry Potterheads!!!! ( Still dont get that either. Another thread for that monstrosity!)

Enjoyed that tirade. Anyways. If anyone does NOT LIKE LOTR please post here. Hey It was a good series. BUT It aint Shakespeare!!!

Last edited by hidari; 06-05-2009 at 10:05 AM.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The point about it is that Professor Tolkien created an entire "world" with languages, a mythology, etc. That is something which nobody else has ever done - it is a staggering achievement. You really need to read "The Silmarillion" to appreciate the sheer scope of it all.

I am certainly not a "Fantasy Freak", but I am in awe of what Professor Tolkien achieved.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The point about it is that Professor Tolkien created an entire "world" with languages, a mythology, etc. That is something which nobody else has ever done - it is a staggering achievement. You really need to read "The Silmarillion" to appreciate the sheer scope of it all.

I am certainly not a "Fantasy Freak", but I am in awe of what Professor Tolkien achieved.
Agreed Harry T. I am in awe of what Professor Tolkien achieved as well. In fact I love "The Silmarillian" three times and enjoy it more than LOTR in several ways.

I am just trying to pour a little water on the fire. I find the reviews of Tolkien to be too lopsided at times. That is all. And, as a reader of many types of Fiction as yourself: You can appreciate that there are many good writers out there. I just find it tiring when faced by a phalanx of LOTR maniacs.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
bertold
Connoisseur
bertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it is

Device: iRex iLiad v2, Onyx Boox Note 3
I would have gladly taken part in a thread like this, but not when it's so blatantly trollish and juvenile. "freaks", "maniacs"? What are you, 8? Can't you make a point without insulting people you've never met who you're trying to have a discussion with? Don't even get me started on "The Silmarillian", which you've purportedly read three times. sigh
bertold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
Nothing is perfect. You should make a list on the things you liked about it and the things ou didn't bc even though it seems that you're focusing on the little things that irritate you.
Could it be that you hate the fanboys more than the works?

I personally, hated the singing, BUT I LOVE LOTR!
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
My favourite of the one star reviews was this:

Quote:
really overrated, 4 May 2009
By Paul R. Farrington-Douglas "tishoumaren" (Prague, Czech Republic)

i read this book because all my freinds where saying how cool it was, but really it was rubbish!!! i mean i like fantasy but this book was so derivitive!!! not to mention wordy... i think people just think its 'a classic' because its really old and really long, but actually it stinks!!! If you want good fantasy try the Warhammer books, those have elves and dwarves and stuff in but at least there not boring!!!!
I can't decide whether he's deliberately parodying other one-star LOTR reviews or not.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Hidari, LOTR isn't one of my favorite reads either, however, I'm not sure where your animosity is coming from.

The fact that others think it IS shouldn't bother you.

To each his own, live and let live.

Trashing others reading favorites only serves to inflame conversations.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

Trashing others reading favorites only serves to inflame conversations.
I think that's all he wanted to do...
Old 06-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Also quite interesting. The funniest paragraph was

Quote:
And "thee", "thou", and "thither"? I'm shocked that stuff flew back in the fifties. No one talks like a real human being, not even the human beings! I am reminded much of Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter. Remember how everyone, from the jilted husband, the adulterous wife, the preacher-dude, and the five-year-old girl all had the exact same speech patterns? Uneducated and silly hobbits should not speak the same way as old wizards or royalty. Mark Twain had it right; people don't all talk the same way, whether it be in dialect or just simply word choice. It's a lesson that Tolkien should have known himself. And to have just one person speak normally may have made the whole tale easier to digest, because then we would have someone to relate to, even in the slightest bit.
The uses of "thee" and "thou" are there precisely because they are not used in current English, to indicate a more intimate form of speech, in poetry & song, or formal/archaic speech. Hmmm... now I have an electronic copy.

Thee: 34 times.
Thou: 24 times.

Astonishing that he complains about there being no differences in speech patterns just after complaining about one difference that is obvious to anyone.

The only people who use Thee/Thou are:

Elves, in songs
Sam: in a song
The Ents: in a song
Gandalf: quoting Galadriel
Galadriel
Eowyn: In intimate speech to Theoden and later to Aragorn
Faramir: In describing his dream of Boromir's death
Halbarad: quoting Galadriel
Aragorn: quoting Isildur, and in intimate speech with Eowyn
The Nazgul King
Denethor: but only in his last hour.
Mouth of Sauron

This is what Tolkien had to say about them:
Quote:
In one or two places an attempt has been made to hint at these distinctions by an inconsistent use of thou. Since this pronoun is now unusual and archaic it is employed mainly to represent the use of ceremonious language; but a change from you to thou, thee is sometimes meant to show, there being no other means of doing this, a significant change from the deferential, or between men and women normal, forms to the familiar.
Goodness it's nice to have a searchable copy!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #10
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.

on that note... how many of the words in Shakespeare's books are part of the fossil record?... ::hmmm:
Old 06-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #11
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Also quite interesting. The funniest paragraph was

The uses of "thee" and "thou" are there precisely because they are not used in current English, to indicate a more intimate form of speech, in poetry & song, or formal/archaic speech. Hmmm... now I have an electronic copy.

Thee: 34 times.
Thou: 24 times.

Astonishing that he complains about there being no differences in speech patterns just after complaining about one difference that is obvious to anyone.

The only people who use Thee/Thou are:

Elves, in songs
Sam: in a song
The Ents: in a song
Gandalf: quoting Galadriel
Galadriel
Eowyn: In intimate speech to Theoden and later to Aragorn
Faramir: In describing his dream of Boromir's death
Halbarad: quoting Galadriel
Aragorn: quoting Isildur, and in intimate speech with Eowyn
The Nazgul King
Denethor: but only in his last hour.
Mouth of Sauron

This is what Tolkien had to say about them:

Goodness it's nice to have a searchable copy!
And for all that, 'Thee' is still used in some places in the North of England, although with a slightly different pronunciation.

What's up with thee, lad?

The 'ee' is pronounced the same as in 'jet'.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I see the same phenomena over and over again, whether it be LOTR, Harry Potter, or most recently, Twilight. Personally, the Twilight books didn't do much for me, and I haven't seen the movie. But every group I'm in online is seemingly obsessed with passing Twilight stationeries, tags, avatars, snippets of gossip about the next movie, etc. A few years ago it was the same with Johnny Depp craziness after Pirates of the Carribbean.
Does it get annoying? Sure, if you don't share the obsession. Is it worth arguing about? Definitely NOT!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:56 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Trolls....
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:53 AM   #14
jinlo
aka coco jinlo
jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just purchased Sony 505, but alas, it is for the wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Trolls....
Orcs...
jinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:04 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
And for all that, 'Thee' is still used in some places in the North of England, although with a slightly different pronunciation.

What's up with thee, lad?

The 'ee' is pronounced the same as in 'jet'.
Absolutely. "Thee" and "thou" are alive and well in the area in which I live.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote