Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-10-2009, 10:29 PM   #16
Jill74
Banned
Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader 505
i am also using Brite Xtra Flex 2. It saves energy and so affordable to buy..

Jill74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:27 PM   #17
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
I received my Brite Xtra Flex today, which I'll be using for my Kindle DX when it arrives tomorrow. I tried it out on some dead tree sheet music, which obviously has more surface area than the KDX, and I'm satisfied.
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #18
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I think it's perfectly fine in here. this is Kindle business. why some people with other devices insist on hanging in this forum and telling us how to discuss our business is beyond me.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #19
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Picked up the Verilux book light. It's excellent! Really, best I've ever used! No s.glare, the entire screen is well lit and there's even a movable shade to keep it out of your eye

And it charges batteries itself, assuming you have rechargeable batteries - you just plug it into a USB port!
Just got a Verilux light today - had tried all the others but was bothered by "spotlighting" and glare on the screen. Will give it a try tonight!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:35 AM   #20
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
Let us know if the Verilux spreads the light well and if you can customize where the light splays.
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #21
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
I move the Verilux about half way down the right side of the Kindle and it's spot on for me. It has a "hood" on the light/lamp that you can move up and down so that if the Verilux is positioned on the right side of the Kindle you can adjust so it's covering the entire "page".
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #22
F1Wild
Addict

Does the Verilux take up a lot of room? It looks like the light, clip, etc. is all inclusive and I wonder if it seems to be a big thing hanging on the reader as opposed to a clip with a light.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:18 PM   #23
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I loved the Verilux with the K2, like it quite a bit with my DX (though it doesn't work quite as well). The light spreads pretty nicely across the surface, darker at the edges but still very viewable.

The Verilux is bulky, however... but it also can use rechargable batteries that it can recharge itself.

Here's a screenshot. Keep in mind the K2 is the size of the KDX screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0019.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	807.6 KB
ID:	30957  
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:28 AM   #24
F1Wild
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I loved the Verilux with the K2, like it quite a bit with my DX (though it doesn't work quite as well). The light spreads pretty nicely across the surface, darker at the edges but still very viewable.

The Verilux is bulky, however... but it also can use rechargable batteries that it can recharge itself.

Here's a screenshot. Keep in mind the K2 is the size of the KDX screen.
Thanks for the shot - I think I like my Mighty Brite better...less bulk which is always good in bed. (and no, I am not playing one of those games where every sentence ends with "in bed")!
Old 09-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #25
DD1509
Enthusiast
DD1509 doesn't litterDD1509 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Lighting for Kindle and others

I have tried both the MightBright and the Verilux and I am not particularly satisfied with either. Both come from the "paper" book light world so I guess we are all adapting. The Verilux has potential. But again, too much glare and hotspots really distract me.

DD
DD1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #26
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
I think I have the MightBright on my Kindle 2, though it comes with a case and is branded to go with the case. Anyway, the spotlighting bothers me. I would think that people bothered by reading on a computer and insisting on eink would be bothered by spotlighting. I'm not bothered by reading on a computer, but the spotlighting does bother me.

I foresee some huge improvements enroute for readers, and fixing this problem is one of them. I think that the whole e-ink thing is almost a hoax, myself, when people claim it prevents eye strain. I can read for hours on my Nokia N800 or N810, no problem.

But a time will come soon when there will be a really superb reader, in color, but very eye-friendly. (one thing about color that I found on my Nokias is that light blue seems a lot gentler on my eyes than most other colors, and better than grey or black and white).
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:08 AM   #27
DD1509
Enthusiast
DD1509 doesn't litterDD1509 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I think I have the MightBright on my Kindle 2, though it comes with a case and is branded to go with the case. Anyway, the spotlighting bothers me. I would think that people bothered by reading on a computer and insisting on eink would be bothered by spotlighting. I'm not bothered by reading on a computer, but the spotlighting does bother me.

I foresee some huge improvements enroute for readers, and fixing this problem is one of them. I think that the whole e-ink thing is almost a hoax, myself, when people claim it prevents eye strain. I can read for hours on my Nokia N800 or N810, no problem.

But a time will come soon when there will be a really superb reader, in color, but very eye-friendly. (one thing about color that I found on my Nokias is that light blue seems a lot gentler on my eyes than most other colors, and better than grey or black and white).
Well, we are all entitled to our opinions. I really like the "ink-on-paper" display and I think it is half of the benefit of reading on a good eReader. Will it last long term? I am not sure. But in the interim, I hope these displays continue to proliferate. I like the look and I think it is way better than reading via a back-lit computer-style screen. Long live the book in electronic formats!

DD
DD1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #28
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
I see that this thread is already old and that Gideon has already decided. However, I thought I would post up a "think outside the box" suggestion to use an LED headlamp.

I use a PrincetonTec Aurora, $23. 3 LEDs, uses 3 AAAs. (which can be found as rechargeables) The light provided is a flood pattern, which will illuminate ANY eBook reader screen. Since it is attached to one's head instead of the device, glare can be eliminated simply by slightly changing the angle of the device. It has a regulator circuit, so on the low setting (plenty powerful enough for reading) it will last for years' worth of nighttime reading. (my last set of alkalines lasted a few years, and the batteries started to leak before they died.)

I find it less cumbersome than book lights, because there doesn't need to be a long stalk to maintain the distance from the screen/page.

Lastly, this is a multipurpose device. I also use mine for doing electrical work around the house, and for seeing my way around early in the morning without waking my wife. I don't know if they make lithium AAAs yet, but if they do, it would be a perfect light for the glove box of the car. When we need a flashlight with the car, we often need the use of both hands too, right?

Just something to think about.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #29
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
I see that this thread is already old and that Gideon has already decided. However, I thought I would post up a "think outside the box" suggestion to use an LED headlamp.

I use a PrincetonTec Aurora, $23. 3 LEDs, uses 3 AAAs. (which can be found as rechargeables) The light provided is a flood pattern, which will illuminate ANY eBook reader screen. Since it is attached to one's head instead of the device, glare can be eliminated simply by slightly changing the angle of the device. It has a regulator circuit, so on the low setting (plenty powerful enough for reading) it will last for years' worth of nighttime reading. (my last set of alkalines lasted a few years, and the batteries started to leak before they died.)

I find it less cumbersome than book lights, because there doesn't need to be a long stalk to maintain the distance from the screen/page.

Lastly, this is a multipurpose device. I also use mine for doing electrical work around the house, and for seeing my way around early in the morning without waking my wife. I don't know if they make lithium AAAs yet, but if they do, it would be a perfect light for the glove box of the car. When we need a flashlight with the car, we often need the use of both hands too, right?

Just something to think about.

How much does it weigh? I've tried (I think Everyready brand) headlamps before and was bothered by the weight on my forehead.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #30
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
How much does it weigh? I've tried (I think Everyready brand) headlamps before and was bothered by the weight on my forehead.
Amazon says the shipping weight is 8.2 oz. I don't know what "shipping weight" means, but if that includes the packaging, I don't think the weight will bug you.

If so, there are other LED headlamps that are smaller & lighter. Petzl makes a few that I can recall.

The main weight is the weight of the batteries.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote