Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-16-2009, 06:59 AM   #1
lkodk
Connoisseur
lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: PRS-505 + PRS-600 + PRS-T1 + Kobo Glo
"Protected Page" w/ADE on mac

Hi,

I've just received my PRS-505 the other day, but I am having some issues with ADE books.

I have just downloaded my first drm'ed ADE book from the public library, but I'm not able to read it when I have downloaded it via ADE for mac. The reader just says: "Protected Page", and as far as I have understood it that should be possible. The book is transfered to the reader with Calibre.

What I have done:
Installed the Sony Software and ADE on a Windows machine.
Created an Adobe account, and authorized ADE on Windows with this account.
Hooked up the reader in Windows, and let Adobe authorize the reader.
Installed ADE on mac and authorized it with the same account.

I have then downloaded the book in ADE for mac, and I am able to read it there.
I then added the book in Calibre, and transferred it to my reader. That does not work.

If I transfer the book in Windows directly from ADE, then I am able to read the book on the reader.

As far as I understood it, it should be possible to go mac only after the reader had been authorized in Windows.

So what have I done wrong? Any ideas?
lkodk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you tried simply copying the book directly to the Sony Reader's "drive" which appears on the Mac when you connect the USB cable? That should work fine. No need to use Calibre at all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
lkodk
Connoisseur
lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the tip.
I have just tried that, but no luck. The reader still just displays "Protected Page"

It seems like the book has to come from ADE in Windows.
Because following your suggestion, I would try to see if it was possible from Windows, so I downloaded a new library book into ADE in Windows, and then dragged it to the Digital Editions folder on the reader through Windows Explorer.
The reader again said "Protected Page". Transferring from ADE in Windows made it readable.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
This may be a silly question, but are these two ADE software the same version ? The Mac version of ADE has been updated recently, IIRC...

Anyway, this should work ; you don't have to use either ADE or Calibre to upload the file to your PRS, a simple copy should be enough ; but you must register the PRS with the same copy of ADE that you'll take this file from (I wonder if I'm clear?).

To say it differently : download your book, put it in ADE (wherever), make sure you registered your reader with THIS copy of ADE (whichever it is) and either 1/ drag and drop the ebook into your reader in ADE or 2/ find the ePub file, and copy this file to yor device.

Hope this helps !

Cheers,
David.
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
lkodk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
This may be a silly question, but are these two ADE software the same version ? The Mac version of ADE has been updated recently, IIRC...
Not a silly question at all. I just checked to be sure. Both the Windows and the Mac are running ADE version 1.7.1.1085

Quote:
To say it differently : download your book, put it in ADE (wherever), make sure you registered your reader with THIS copy of ADE (whichever it is) and either 1/ drag and drop the ebook into your reader in ADE or 2/ find the ePub file, and copy this file to yor device.
If I understand you correctly then that is probably my problem then. The reader has only been authorized using the ADE in Windows, not Mac, due to the lack of Sony drivers for Mac.
But the ADE on Mac has been authorized with the same Adobe account. And AFAIU this should work.

But if ADE has just been updated, maybe Adobe has made some changes?
Because it is also strange that drag-and-drop in explorer in Windows doesn't work either. The book needs to be transferred using ADE (in Windows)
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 04:04 AM   #6
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
You're right, this is weird ; I thought I did transfer a DRM'd ebook from the Mac ADE to my PRS505, but I may have done it on my work machine (which is a Windows XP PC). My bad, then, sorry.

Bu I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that ADE on the Mac worked the same way with the reader than on Windows, which is (IIRC) simply by using the reader as a USB drive (which works perfectly on my iMac). So, it should work...

I'm almost sure that I did this : I authorized my reader in ADE on Windows, then copied the DRM'd file (a PDF IIRC) to the Calibre library, and used Calibre to copy it to the PRS.

Hope you'll find a way, however I think a virtual machine should be a good idea...

Cheers,
David.
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
lkodk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Hope you'll find a way, however I think a virtual machine should be a good idea...
Yep. That's how I run Windows on my mac. I just don't like looking at Windows on my iMac
But I'll just have to continue using ADE in Windows until I find out what is going on.

What version of ADE are you running?
Old 05-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you authorized your reader with ADE for Windows?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
lkodk
Connoisseur

Hi Jon,

Yes. I installed the Sony drivers and ADE on Windows and created an Adobe account and authorized ADE.
Then I hooked up my reader in Windows, and let ADE authorize that as well.
After that I downloaded ADE on Mac and authorized that with the same Adobe account.