Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-01-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
ksterling
ksterling began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Intro

I'm a new entrant, living in SW New Hampshire. Just bought a slightly used Kindle from eBay and now figuring out all of the ins and outs. Since I'm quasi retired, I'd like to learn how to convert public domain titles to .prc format. If there's a tutorial someplace that's rather specific, please let me know what it is. Or, if one of the "old timers" wants a hand with a project, please drop me a note at k.sterling@live.com

Thanks
ksterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi ksterling, welcome to the party!

I'm still a newbie myself, so there's a lot I don't know about your question--but, if you don't already know this--the Kindle can read .prc files without any conversion. There are many wonderful books right here on MR. Click the "e-books" link on the home page and pick "Mobipocket" format. Last I looked, you have about 1900+ choices of books that have been uploaded by the good people here. I'm about 2/3 of the way thru Great Expectations (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16211). I highly recommend it!

Regards,
R.L.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi ksterling and welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:55 AM   #4
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Hi ksterling, welcome!

If, by public domain books, you mean those from Project Gutenberg, and you want to convert text to prc, then you can do so using Mobipocket Creator (please see link below). It's free. It also outputs an html file, and it can also convert html, MS Word, and Adobe PDF documents to prc.

Here is where you can download Mobipocket Creator. Be sure to download also the Mobipocket Reader which can be found on the same page:

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...sp?Language=EN
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote