Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-07-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
Lima_dat
English ppl ride potatoe?
Lima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
NPR: Taking Kindle To The Pool

I heard this on the radio this morning, and I thought I would share.

Taking Kindle To The Pool by Lynn Neary

Quote:
I wondered how the reader would fair with sunshine and water, so, accompanied by Rob Pegoraro, a technology writer who reviewed Kindle for The Washington Post, I took it to the neighborhood pool on a hot summer day.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 07-07-2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: added quote
Lima_dat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
kindle at the pool

Apparently they haven't seen the new m-edge Kindle Leisure Case
http://www.buymedge.com/p_KindleLs.html
not totally waterproof, but pretty cool for those "I dropped ketchup on my kindle" moments.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
if I went to the pool I'd swim, read at home later after I washed the chlorine smell off me
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Interesting article. And, no, I wouldn't play "catch" with my Kindle either. I also wouldn't do it with any electronic device that I valued.

Would and have taken my Kindle to the pool on a really hot day, and it was just fine. I treated it with the same respect I would (again) any electronic device near water.

I have very little need to actually read underwater, so a light water resistant covering suits my purposes for most pool usage.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
mateo
Enthusiast
mateo began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Zire71
a lot of FUD.
mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I took mine to the beach over this past long weekend. Seal the reader in a gallon Ziploc bag and the problem is solved.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:22 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I took mine to the beach over this past long weekend. Seal the reader in a gallon Ziploc bag and the problem is solved.
I can only second this recommendation. Went to the beach today with my Sony Reader -- nicely secured inside a ziploc bag (thanks to various great suggestions).
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #8
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If Jacques Cousteau was able to take very expensive video cameras underwater there has to be a way to do the same with a Kindle
Old 07-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #9
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
If M-edge is going to sell the Leisure Jacket using a photo of a young lady floating in the pool, I can only assume that it will work for me. I am a little concerned about the hole for the scroll wheel, but I don't want to read underwater, just protect the Kindle from the splashes getting in and out of the floatie chair
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:52 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
The 505 fits fine in a sandwich sized ziplock bag. I think that may be the quart size. No need to spend extra on the gallon size bags here.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:57 PM   #11
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
If M-edge is going to sell the Leisure Jacket using a photo of a young lady floating in the pool, I can only assume that it will work for me. I am a little concerned about the hole for the scroll wheel, but I don't want to read underwater, just protect the Kindle from the splashes getting in and out of the floatie chair
They make a point about saying that it is water "resistant" not water "proof."

But, water resistant should be just fine for the small spash.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:57 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is the bit that makes the entire lightweight article a big mess not wroth reading...

Quote:
"They've still got some learning to do with designing gadget interfaces," he says. "It's not quite the iPod of eBook readers."
I cannot stand when new gadgets that are not made to be digitial audio players specifically are compared to the iPod. The iPod is not the be all and end all anyway. There are a lot of serious shortcomings about the iPod.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #13
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Audio Books under water

I found a waterproof MP3 player that I loaded my audio book on, hook it to my swim suit and off to the pool for my water aerobics and play. Works great, above and below.

Alyson
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #14
Ervserver
Wizard

Just stay plenty of distance from kids who do them "cannon ball" splashes
Old 07-07-2008, 07:21 PM   #15
mateo
Enthusiast
mateo began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Zire71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
I found a waterproof MP3 player that I loaded my audio book on, hook it to my swim suit and off to the pool for my water aerobics and play. Works great, above and below.

Alyson
waterproof earbuds?
mateo is offline   Reply With Quote