Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Carl A. Carlsson
Carl A. Carlsson began at the beginning.

Device: Mac
Extra paragraph marks in ePub

First time user here.

I apologize for not reading the documentation. This is likely a one time use, and I have a huge To Do list. I'm hoping someone with help me slam dunk this problem so I can move on.

I imported a Mac Pages iPub document for the purpose of making it recognize my TOC. Worked like a charm. Thanks to the programmers.

However, it added extra paragraph marks to the Book View. HTML example follows:

<p class="s6">Embarked onboard ship .... but friends must part.</p>

<p class="s6">The ship left the wharf .... for the comfort of all.</p>

In the Book View there are two paragraph marks, 4 spaces, and one more paragraph mark between the text within the <p>....<\p> pairs. In the original there was a single paragraph mark.

An explanation or just a fix would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Carl A. Carlson
Carl A. Carlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl A. Carlsson View Post
First time user here.

I apologize for not reading the documentation. This is likely a one time use, and I have a huge To Do list. I'm hoping someone with help me slam dunk this problem so I can move on.

I imported a Mac Pages iPub document for the purpose of making it recognize my TOC. Worked like a charm. Thanks to the programmers.

However, it added extra paragraph marks to the Book View. HTML example follows:

In the Book View there are two paragraph marks, 4 spaces, and one more paragraph mark between the text within the <p>....<\p> pairs. In the original there was a single paragraph mark.

An explanation or just a fix would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Carl A. Carlson
Blank lines in Code View don't count. The exist only for Human coders.
Only lines with tags , count. Even then many devices ignore repetitive tag pairs shown below.

<p> </p> is a blank line (really a line with a single space)

Imho, it is better to set a top or Bottom Margin to gain normal paragraph spacing.
You can adjust the 'gap' from a single CSS entry
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
HTML is a language unto itself. It is readable, but it is not read the same by display programs. What you do in a word processing program may or may not work well in HTML. As theducks said, don't put blank lines in for spacing. Instead set the top and bottom margin for paragraphs.

If styles are available in a word processing program, learn them and use them. They translate better into HTML than typewriter like blank lines, etc.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

<p>paragraph 1</p><p>Paragraph 2</p>

is valid and the results are still the same:
paragraph 1
Paragraph 2
Old 12-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
Carl A. Carlsson

My bad.

My question was not clear. The extra lines are in the Book View and in the saved ePub file when viewed in Kindle Previewer.
Advert
Old 12-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
My bad.

My question was not clear. The extra lines are in the Book View and in the saved ePub file when viewed in Kindle Previewer.
What shows in Code View

The solutions are different
Old 12-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You need to check what kind styling is being applied to the class "s6".

Quote:
and in the saved ePub file when viewed in Kindle Previewer.
Kindle Previewer doesn't view/read ePubs. It converts them into a Kindlebook. At which point it's no longer in the Sigil/ePub Realm.

You need to see what the epub looks like in an epub reading app such as ADE (or on a device that reads epubs), and get it looking the way you want it to look before you even start thinking about what happens to it after it's converted to a Kindlebook.

Also look for any:
Code:
white-space: pre;
or
Code:
white-space: pre-wrap;
in the style sheet (or any inline styles) that may being applied to something, and get rid of it. I seem to recall something about an i(something) app that included that attribute for some silly reason. That will certainly produce results similar to what you're describing.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-11-2013 at 10:44 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
Carl A. Carlsson

Code View shows:

I have of course removed some of the text: "...."
Old 12-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Code View shows:

I have of course removed some of the text: "...."
Class .s6 is adding margins or Linespacing

The former is between paragraphs
The later is every line
Old 12-13-2013, 03:16 AM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Class .s6 is adding margins or Linespacing

The former is between paragraphs
The later is every line
Yes, but, Ducky:

What he's saying here:

Quote:
Doesn't make sense. He says he's seeing two paragraph marks, 4 "spaces" (I don't know if he means lines, or spaces), and one more paragraph mark (pilcrow?) in BOOKVIEW.

I mean, if he just meant that there was too much vertical whitespace, wouldn't he have said that? What about seeing paragraph "marks" in book view? "Two paragraph marks, 4 spaces, and one more paragraph mark." Are you thinking that he means 6 blank lines between paragraphs, or...?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, but, Ducky:

What he's saying here:

Doesn't make sense. He says he's seeing two paragraph marks, 4 "spaces" (I don't know if he means lines, or spaces), and one more paragraph mark (pilcrow?) in BOOKVIEW.

I mean, if he just meant that there was too much vertical whitespace, wouldn't he have said that? What about seeing paragraph "marks" in book view? "Two paragraph marks, 4 spaces, and one more paragraph mark." Are you thinking that he means 6 blank lines between paragraphs, or...?

Hitch
If your Pilcrow showing in BV theory is correct, how is this a Sigil problem?
Sounds like GIGO to me.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We need a screen-shot of both code-view and book-view, I think.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I agree, a screenshot should make this clear.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Until then, my money's on "white-space: pre;" from iPub creating swathes of unnecessary whitespace.

I have no idea what "paragraph mark" might mean. If it's not a pilcrow, then perhaps it's the xml entity equivalents of the angle brackets. You know... Tidy Gone Wild when trying its best to fix some particularly badly formed html? Leaving what renders as html code in book view?

Just guessing though. I'm thinking our OP has already moved on to the next item on their To Do list.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #15
Carl A. Carlsson

Sorry Guys I thought I had closed this question.

The problem was the pretty print feature on Sigil was adding stuff to the file that was interacting with Apple's HTML. It was a question of conflicting styles of using HTML not a bug. The solution was to turn pretty print and allied options off before loading the file.