Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-13-2008, 02:25 PM   #1
trendfreaks
trendfreaks began at the beginning.

Device: palm
Is Kindle a Hype?

Amazon relased Kindle in November 2007. Immediate to its release it grabbed enormous attention in he blogosphere- which eventualy faded away soon.

We leave this for your discussion - was kindle a Hype? The meteorite growth & subsequent catastrophe of "Kindle" in blogoshphere - we have captured
here.

Also going by 2007 eBook download data -its sure Kindle is not most popular book format -
http://www.swivel.com/graphs/show/25808741
trendfreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Why should it matter to us how many blogs talk about the Kindle? I, for one, bought one so I could read on it, not because of the hype.

Plus, did anyone say the Kindle was the most popular format in 2007? How could you think that might be a possibility when the device came out at the end of November?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2008, 03:06 PM   #3
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Welcome, trendfreaks. I would think the Sony Reader, when it came out, would have generated a similarly brief buzz followed by a rapid tail, although maybe not so pronounced since Amazon did quite a lot to push the Kindle into people's faces in November. As to the "2007 eBook download" graph, I'm not sure what I'm looking at or from where the data is collected. Yes, PDFs are by far the most popular form of digital publications and, unfortunately, it will take some doing to change that.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Unless there are sales figures to put up against the blog figures, it doesn't really say much.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Yeah, basically the drop was a result of "everyone knows about it now." Lots of hype when it was new and then on to other things. Sounds like a kindle-hater type of post to me.

You could say the same thing for almost anything new introduced into the marketplace.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2008, 04:05 PM   #6
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Or it's like the "new guy" at work. He's new, you get to know him for about a week, and then he just becomes a regular employee....

Last edited by tsgreer; 04-13-2008 at 04:09 PM.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:52 PM   #7
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
And the majority of bloggers (which is what we're talking about when we talk about the blogosphere) doesn't care about the Kindle. It's Steve Jobs, the iPhone, Twitter, and anything else that makes the daily news. It doesn't mean, however, that people with interest in reading e-books care less about the Kindle today than they did in the beginning of the release.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I want tot know is where the heck they got their numbers. They just seem off to me.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:38 PM   #9
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
That graph really doesn't mean anything...who cares how many blog posts there are? I'd expect a spike like that every time some new gadget is released and the bloggers all write an article (or regurgitate an article - to be more precise ...how much original content really makes it to blogs anyway...now that would be an interesting study!).

The initial blitz has passed, now back to reading about the next best thing....that makes more sense to me.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:28 PM   #10
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
The same could be said for blogs, they have hit their peak
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:59 PM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I would think if there were still tons of blog posts about it, that would be more indicative of artificial hype. What you're describing there is natural. Big press release -> lots of buzz -> everyone's heard about and talked it to death -> people move on. If you kept seeing lots of news items being planted, now that would seem like an attempt to keep generating hype and interest.

I guess I'm not really getting your question. If you mean "is it all hype and no substance?" then I would have to say no, IMO. I think it's a solid product that's delivering on its promises. Amazon is continuing to grow and improve the bookstore. The hardware works as advertised. Is it perfect? No. But I'm satisfied as a customer and feel it was money well spent.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:43 PM   #12
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
There's also a difference on what gets continued hype - and on tech blogs that generally means one thing: expandability. New programs, hacks, options, models, prices, etc.

None of that has really happened for the Kindle, and so you're not going to see press because all you can really say about the Kindle is "yay, it's out!" And I love my Kindle, but it is a rather static device as opposed to the iPhone which is hacked a new way every month, etc.

The Sony Reader, of course, gets some hacking love too - but big news is still infrequent or minor enough to rarely get much press.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:07 AM   #13
spirits
Connoisseur
spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Considering the Kindle were selling on ebay for $800, that in itself is a hype.

Reading ebook through E-ink is only the beginning. When they expand to something more multi-functional, such as what the Iliad has been trying to accomplish, things will begin to change (and no, I don't mean multi-functional as in playing Mp3).
No matter what, 1st generation will always just be a hype. But many large corporations surfaced over the past year because they can see where this technology will eventually lead.

Last edited by spirits; 04-16-2008 at 04:11 AM.
spirits is offline   Reply With Quote