Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #91
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Do you have ssh (or telnet) setup over USBnet?
Sure I do. I can arrange temporary remote access to my unit's serial console and USBnet ssh,
so you'll be able to check whatever you need. Let me know if interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If so, then I may have a list of small questions for things in the kernel's dynamic part of the file system.
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:51 AM   #92
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Thank you for all the work you guys/gals have done. I just picked up my KPW (upgrade from sony 650). While I liked the simplicity of the sony UI, the KPW screen and light overcame amazon's poor UI for the kindle but I had to integrate my calibre collections! I turned on airplane mode and went through the steps provided and now have kindle collections working on my jailbroken 5.3 PW. I appreciate your efforts and help in this!
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #93
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1uke View Post
Sure I do. I can arrange temporary remote access to my unit's serial console and USBnet ssh,
so you'll be able to check whatever you need. Let me know if interested.
Super! (en_IBM for great)

I am old and work slow, so it may be awhile before I need to roam around in the 5.3 system. Will see if I can get it running under emulation first.

But if you've clicked through to my own web site (I'm just a visitor here) you will see that I am very much opposed to locked consumer devices. Link is my "homepage link" in the info box on the left.

Note: Most of my web site is hidden from the public eye, only visible to members logged in.
Anyone that wants to register will need a "passcode" for the registration form - just PM me here for that.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #94
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Quote:
u-boot environment and supported commands:
Spoiler:
Code:
uboot > printenv
bootdelay=1
baudrate=115200
loadaddr=0x70800000
bootcmd=bootm 0x41000
failbootcmd=panic
loglevel=5
bootcmd_diags=bootm 0xE41000
bootcmd_factory=bist halt
bootcmd_fastboot=bist fastboot
stdin=serial
stdout=logbuff
stderr=logbuff
post_hotkeys=0
bootargs=

Environment size: 253/1020 bytes
Environment size: 253/1020 bytes
uboot >

uboot > help
?       - alias for 'help'
bist    - start Built In Self Test
boot    - boot default, i.e., run 'bootcmd'
bootd   - boot default, i.e., run 'bootcmd'
bootm   - boot application image from memory
go      - start application at address 'addr'
help    - print online help
idme    - idme    - Set nv ram variables

log     - manipulate logbuffer
printenv- print environment variables
reset   - Perform RESET of the CPU
run     - run commands in an environment variable
setenv  - set environment variables
version - print monitor version
uboot >
Could you please check if issuing "setenv bootargs parameters" command before booting would change kernel cmdline? (environment variables in u-boot should last only until next reboot). Also, could you check what "bist fastboot" does? (if it'll appear to boot fastboot, then don't forget to connect usb cable in order to check if it works ) Those two things seems to be most interesting for me.

And now, thing not necessarily for you, but for everyone who can help - could someone prepare instructions for connecting PW with serial cable for someone who never did anything like that before? It's a disadvantage of owning only open devices - you can't learn how to obtain access to them, cause you have it since beginning
dos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #95
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The connection points are indexed in the prefix index under Hardware / Serial Port / Kindle Paperwhite.
To save you the clicks:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195769

It is a LV (low voltage) serial connection (1.8 volt).
Communications parameters are: 115200, 8n1
I recommend the LV serial to USB adapter cable documented in the links of this thread starter post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170566
Advert
Old 11-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #96
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
Could you please check if issuing "setenv bootargs parameters" command before booting would change kernel cmdline?
Also, could you check what "bist fastboot" does?
that was the first thing I tried. The answer is no, setting bootargs env variable
has no effect. At the same time the 'saveenv' command is not implemented,
i.e. there's no way to retain the setting untit next boot.
AFAIU, bist stands for "BuiltInSystemTest". I'd prefer to avoid running that.

Looks like that detailed reviewing the 5.3.0 u-boot source code could be most efficient at this stage.
I tried to formally build the u-boot from supplied source tree, but quickly learned
that a key file (boardid.h) is missing. Had to recreate this file from various pieces
from various sources. Now this file is still incomplete and only partially correct,
but the u-boot binary can be formally built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
And now, thing not necessarily for you, but for everyone who can help - could someone prepare instructions for connecting PW with serial cable for someone who never did anything like that before? It's a disadvantage of owning only open devices - you can't learn how to obtain access to them, cause you have it since beginning
you can find very good discussions related to that on this forum.
Below is the PW specific, as I see it:
  • - it is much easier to open the PW than any other Kindle model
  • - I liked this serial cable/adapter the best. Yes, it is pricey, but the best.
  • - the traces carrying the serial console signals are really weak, so soldering should be done by somebody experienced. Putting the proper connector there can be considered as alternative.

HTH.

Last edited by h1uke; 11-14-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #97
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
I tried to formally build the u-boot from supplied source tree, but quickly learned
that a key file (boardid.h) is missing. Had to recreate this file from various pieces
from various sources. Now this file is still incomplete and only partially correct,
but the u-boot binary can be formally built.
Errmm... I haven't tried it for the PW (only for the Touch), but did you take a look at this?
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #98
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Errmm... I haven't tried it for the PW (only for the Touch), but did you take a look at this?
Obviously not.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #99
h1uke
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
but did you take a look at this?
I did not. But at the same time I can say that I know relatively well where the
boardid.h file can be found

This file is missing either from the u-boot or kernel subtree in Amazon's 5.3.0 archive.

The boardid.h found in the kernel subtree of 5.1 archive (referred by your link) is incomplete
and doesn't contain the latest board type definitions.

The boardid.h found in the kernel subtree of 5.2 archive has definitions for KPW,
but doesn't contain definitions for ICEWINE and ICEWINE_WFO boards refered by uboot/board/imx50_yoshi/imx50_yoshi.c of v5.3.0 ...

Once we are talking... my guess that the plain KPW is CELESTE_WFO_256,
but is the platform YOSHI, YOSHIME, YOSHIME_3 or something else?
Old 11-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #100
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I did not. But at the same time I can say that I know relatively well where the
boardid.h file can be found

This file is missing either from the u-boot or kernel subtree in Amazon's 5.3.0 archive.

The boardid.h found in the kernel subtree of 5.1 archive (referred by your link) is incomplete
and doesn't contain the latest board type definitions.

The boardid.h found in the kernel subtree of 5.2 archive has definitions for KPW,
but doesn't contain definitions for ICEWINE and ICEWINE_WFO boards refered by uboot/board/imx50_yoshi/imx50_yoshi.c of v5.3.0 ...

Once we are talking... my guess that the plain KPW is CELESTE_WFO_256,
but is the platform YOSHI, YOSHIME, YOSHIME_3 or something else?
I was trying to build 5.3.0 kernel for Kindle Touch (BTW, I've succeded to build, but failed to run and I don't have a serial connection to check errors) and met the same problem with missing boardid.h. I've took it from 5.1.2 kernel sources, but, of course, IDs of newer boards (including variants of yoshime, celeste and icewine) were still missing. Partial information about them could be found in /etc/upstart/functions. Thanks for information about celeste IDs in the 5.2 sources, I didn't look there.

ICEWINE is the codename of something after CELESTE, so you can't buy it now, I presume. So just put anything with prefix 00D for ICEWINE and 00E for ICEWINE_WFO to satisfy compiler (00D is written in /etc/upstart/functions and 00E is just distinctive from 00D, as _WFO models have distinct ID).

celeste is made on yoshime3 platform.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:36 AM   #101
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
AFAIU, bist stands for "BuiltInSystemTest". I'd prefer to avoid running that.
... but, in fact, you're running it (I mean, bist U-Boot) on every PW reboot bist is just a "codename" for "big", "full-featured" U-Boot, which cannot fit into OCRAM and should be loaded by first-stage, "small" U-Boot. (Read a bit more here and here).

With executing bist fastboot you're just saving fastboot argument for second-stage ("bist") U-Boot in memory and loading that second-stage U-Boot.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:46 AM   #102
h1uke
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
bist is just a "codename" for "big", "full-featured" U-Boot, which cannot fit into OCRAM and should be loaded by first-stage, "small" U-Boot. (Read a bit more here and here).
Thank you for pointing me to that. I didn't have any plans even to touch the Touch,
so I was even specially avoiding reading anything related to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
With executing bist fastboot you're just saving fastboot argument for second-stage ("bist") U-Boot in memory and loading that second-stage U-Boot.
bist fastboot just boots the kernel. I'm not sure if this is the same kernel that boots on bootm, will check.
But bist alone looks more interesting. It brings the version of uboot having noticeably richer
command repertoire:

Spoiler:
Code:
U-Boot 2009.08-lab126 (Sep 06 2012 - 16:07:56)

CPU:   Freescale i.MX50 family 1.1V at 800 MHz
mx50 pll1: 800MHz
mx50 pll2: 400MHz
mx50 pll3: 216MHz
ipg clock     : 66666666Hz
ipg per clock : 66666666Hz
uart clock    : 24000000Hz
ahb clock     : 133333333Hz
axi_a clock   : 400000000Hz
axi_b clock   : 200000000Hz
weim_clock    : 100000000Hz
ddr clock     : 800000000Hz
esdhc1 clock  : 80000000Hz
esdhc2 clock  : 80000000Hz
esdhc3 clock  : 80000000Hz
esdhc4 clock  : 80000000Hz
MMC:  FSL_ESDHC: 0, FSL_ESDHC: 1
Board: Celeste WFO (256 MB)
Boot Reason: [POR]
Boot Device: MMC
Board Id: 00A15011241414IF
S/N: B024150224420FW8
DRAM:  256 MB
Using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   logbuff
Err:   logbuff
Quick Memory Test 0x70000000, 0xfffe000
POST done in 17 ms
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
uboot >
uboot > bist

U-Boot 2009.08-lab126 (Sep 06 2012 - 16:08:16)

cspi clock    : 54000000Hz
ddr clock     : 266666666Hz
I2C:   ready

Out:   serial
Err:   serial
POST done in 1 ms
Battery voltage: 4124 mV

bist > printenv
baudrate=115200
loadaddr=0x7A000000
testmem=mtest 0x70000000 0x7900000 0 1 2; mtest 0x7A000000 0x8FFFFFFF 0 1 2
bootcmd=bootm 0x41000
failbootcmd=panic
loglevel=5
bootcmd_fastboot=fastboot
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
stderr=serial
post_hotkeys=0
bootdelay=-1
bootargs=

Environment size: 297/131068 bytes
bist > help
autoscr - DEPRECATED - use "source" command instead
base    - print or set address offset
check   - perform MMC CRC32 check
cmp     - memory compare
coninfo - print console devices and information
cp      - memory copy
crc32   - checksum calculation
diag    - perform board diagnostics
echo    - echo args to console
fail    - fail blink fail pattern on LED
fastboot- Fastboot
halt    - halt board
i2c     - I2C sub-system

iminfo  - print header information for application image
itest   - return true/false on integer compare
loadb   - load binary file over serial line (kermit mode)
loads   - load S-Record file over serial line
loady   - load binary file over serial line (ymodem mode)
loop    - infinite loop on address range
loopw   - infinite write loop on address range
md      - memory display
mm      - memory modify (auto-incrementing address)
mmc     - MMC sub system
mmcinfo - mmcinfo <dev num>-- display MMC info
mtest   - simple RAM read/write test
mw      - memory write (fill)
nm      - memory modify (constant address)
ocotp   - OCOTP sub system
panic   - panic halt
pass    - pass blink pass pattern on LED
pmic    - pmic    - PMIC utility commands

sleep   - delay execution for some time
source  - run script from memory
sspi    - SPI utility commands
bist >

this certainly requires more thinking..

Update:

I confirm that typing bist fastboot to a uboot prompt causes the
PW to enter the USB Recovery mode:

Spoiler:
Code:
uboot > bist fastboot

POST done in 1 ms
Battery voltage: 4058 mV

running cmd: fastboot
Entering fastboot mode...
USB speed: HIGH
Connected to USB host!
Charger disconnect
Connected to USB host!
USB configured.

it exits back to a bist> prompt when the USB cable gets disconnected.

Last edited by h1uke; 11-15-2012 at 03:24 AM. Reason: new info
Old 11-15-2012, 05:44 AM   #103
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thank you for pointing me to that. I didn't have any plans even to touch the Touch,
so I was even specially avoiding reading anything related to it.

bist fastboot just boots the kernel. I'm not sure if this is the same kernel that boots on bootm, will check.
But bist alone looks more interesting. It brings the version of uboot having noticeably richer
command repertoire:

Spoiler:
Code:
U-Boot 2009.08-lab126 (Sep 06 2012 - 16:07:56)

ddr clock     : 800000000Hz

Out:   logbuff
Err:   logbuff
Quick Memory Test 0x70000000, 0xfffe000
POST done in 17 ms
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
uboot >
uboot > bist

POST done in 1 ms
Battery voltage: 4124 mV

bist > printenv
baudrate=115200
loadaddr=0x7A000000
testmem=mtest 0x70000000 0x7900000 0 1 2; mtest 0x7A000000 0x8FFFFFFF 0 1 2
bootcmd=bootm 0x41000
failbootcmd=panic
loglevel=5
bootcmd_fastboot=fastboot
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
stderr=serial
post_hotkeys=0
bootdelay=-1
bootargs=

Environment size: 297/131068 bytes
bist > help
autoscr - DEPRECATED - use "source" command instead
base    - print or set address offset
check   - perform MMC CRC32 check
cmp     - memory compare
coninfo - print console devices and information
cp      - memory copy
crc32   - checksum calculation
diag    - perform board diagnostics
echo    - echo args to console
fail    - fail blink fail pattern on LED
fastboot- Fastboot
halt    - halt board
i2c     - I2C sub-system

iminfo  - print header information for application image
itest   - return true/false on integer compare
loadb   - load binary file over serial line (kermit mode)
loads   - load S-Record file over serial line
loady   - load binary file over serial line (ymodem mode)
loop    - infinite loop on address range
loopw   - infinite write loop on address range
md      - memory display
mm      - memory modify (auto-incrementing address)
mmc     - MMC sub system
mmcinfo - mmcinfo <dev num>-- display MMC info
mtest   - simple RAM read/write test
mw      - memory write (fill)
nm      - memory modify (constant address)
ocotp   - OCOTP sub system
panic   - panic halt
pass    - pass blink pass pattern on LED
pmic    - pmic    - PMIC utility commands

sleep   - delay execution for some time
source  - run script from memory
sspi    - SPI utility commands
bist >

this certainly requires more thinking..

Update:

Spoiler:
Code:
uboot > bist fastboot

POST done in 1 ms

Connected to USB host!
Charger disconnect
Connected to USB host!
USB configured.

Translation:
The Kpw can be downgraded and/or de-bricked but it requires use of the serial port and some operator skill.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #104
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Quote:

Spoiler:
Code:
uboot > bist fastboot

POST done in 1 ms

Connected to USB host!
Charger disconnect
Connected to USB host!
USB configured.

That's great news, thank you! So there's a hope for poor spirits like mine who carelessly upgraded to 5.3.0 before its true evil nature was found out, thank you once again!

Last edited by dos1; 11-15-2012 at 06:42 PM.
dos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #105
nusquama
nusquama began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
5.3.0 to 5.2.0

hi,

i have already update my kindle in 5.3.0 before jailbreak.

Can i go back to 5.2

thanks
nusquama is offline   Reply With Quote