Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Husband left K2 on airplane - how do you mark kindles?

I read without a cover, and have a Belkin sleeve I put my K3 in to cart it from place to place. I gave my K2 (with a cool purple skin) to my husband. Well, he put it in the pouch in front of his seat, and forgot it on Southwest. It was in a black Belkin, but there were no markings anywhere (aside from the distinctive purple skin). Anyway, I was able to get a K3 delivered today (it says it is out for delivery), so no harm, no foul - I was having problems thinking of a Christmas gift for him, anyway. But it got me thinking - how should I mark these K3's? If I tape a business card to the back, it will bother my as I read. I can tape a card inside the Belkin, but I would have to make sure to face the front of the kindle away from the card.

Some of you may remember I left my K1 on the train. I had a card taped to the inside of the Oberon cover, and one on the back of the kindle. I ultimately got it back - the finder riped off the card on the Oberon, but he tried to sell it to an honest man, who found my card when he took the kindle out of the cover. It took about 6 months, but I did get it back. So I realize how valuable some marking is.

Thanks for your suggestions, and Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Joyful Reading in 2011. Debra
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
I've been wondering about this too, and I think what I'm going to do is tape a small post-it note (1 1/2" x 2" I think, about 1/2 the size of a business card) on the back, right up at the top between the speaker holes. I plan on using clear packing tape and covering the paper completely so it won't wear, and being right up at the top it should be out of the way so I don't feel it when I'm reading without the cover.

Thanks for bringing this up - it's something I've considered, but it's been pretty low on my priority list since my Kindle doesn't leave home very often. It does occasionally though, and it only takes once for it to disappear!
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I have installed the screen-hack which has allowed me to use my own photos. I have placed a text box in the upper left corner with an email address. Anytime my k3 goes to sleep, one of the photos shows and my email address is clearly visible.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I'd pick the medium-tech approach: screensaver hack with customized screensavers proclaiming ownership and contact info.

Set the containing folders to invisible, and any dishonest finder will have a more difficult time trying to undo and resell it, since they'll pop up every time the Kindle goes to sleep, unless that person happens to know exactly what's been done and is technically capable of undoing it.

Of course, if you never intend to sell or pass on your Kindle, there's always the laser-engraving on the back option.

Or maybe you could print out a customized sticker, which seems like it would be less intrusive than the business card, when it comes to daily use.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Why not just create an ebook file with all your contact details and call it "if found please read this"?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
If you're not planning on selling it at some point you could etch your info into the back of the device using an exacto knife.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
If you're not planning on selling it at some point you could etch your info into the back of the device using an exacto knife.
...and hope you never change your phone number or e-mail address.

I never set my reader down in public (it goes in my bag) but if I did, I think I'd stick a business card to it with tape.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I used some of the millions of charity-sent return address labels on the back of the device and on the cover. In fact, I use them on just about everything. Back in olden times, I stuck them inside the covers of books befotr lending them.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I use the ScreenSaver hack. Each image has my name, cell phone number and an email address.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sample ss.png
Views:	225
Size:	792.1 KB
ID:	63463  
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:58 PM   #10
Rick1971
cool a zombie!
Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Lenovo a2107a-f, Le PanII, Motorola Xoom FE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I'd pick the medium-tech approach: screensaver hack with customized screensavers proclaiming ownership and contact info.

Set the containing folders to invisible, and any dishonest finder will have a more difficult time trying to undo and resell it, since they'll pop up every time the Kindle goes to sleep, unless that person happens to know exactly what's been done and is technically capable of undoing it.

Of course, if you never intend to sell or pass on your Kindle, there's always the laser-engraving on the back option.

Or maybe you could print out a customized sticker, which seems like it would be less intrusive than the business card, when it comes to daily use.
I don't have a Kindle but i did the screensaver thing
Rick1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:16 AM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
according to one of the members that posts here, the people cleaning up the airplanes are not allowed to open anything they find, ie; wallets, books, reading devices. so this cancels out the most obvious solution of having your contact info inside the cover. I also use the freebie address stickers and put them front and back on my oberon cover where I am least likely to rub them off
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #12
CandyDane
Enthusiast
CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad 4
Although you already have a replacement coming (with the bonus of filling a Christmas present dilemma, you should contact Southwest Airlines customer service and check their lost & found.

I'd guess they'd put the flight #, airport, and date on each item. Or you can list at least some of the books on the reader if they need you to "prove" it's yours.

Even if you'd have to pay postage, it'd be worth it. You can always sell the reader, gift it, or keep it as a spare.
CandyDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #13
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I fly frequently enough that I bought a jacket with pockets big enough for a Kindle or iPad, so I can pocket 'em instead of forgetting my gadgets.

On the back of my iPad and Kindle, I have contact info punched out with an electric label-maker. I include my cell number, so I can reclaim quickly, say if I leave a gadget at an airport. (I want my stuff back asap, so I don't have to wait days or weeks and go without while traveling.) My info says, "Reward if found: (my cell number)."

I changed my Kindle's name to that as well.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 12-25-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #14
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I read without a cover, and have a Belkin sleeve I put my K3 in to cart it from place to place. I gave my K2 (with a cool purple skin) to my husband. Well, he put it in the pouch in front of his seat, and forgot it on Southwest. It was in a black Belkin, but there were no markings anywhere (aside from the distinctive purple skin). Anyway, I was able to get a K3 delivered today (it says it is out for delivery), so no harm, no foul - I was having problems thinking of a Christmas gift for him, anyway. But it got me thinking - how should I mark these K3's? If I tape a business card to the back, it will bother my as I read. I can tape a card inside the Belkin, but I would have to make sure to face the front of the kindle away from the card.

Some of you may remember I left my K1 on the train. I had a card taped to the inside of the Oberon cover, and one on the back of the kindle. I ultimately got it back - the finder riped off the card on the Oberon, but he tried to sell it to an honest man, who found my card when he took the kindle out of the cover. It took about 6 months, but I did get it back. So I realize how valuable some marking is.

Thanks for your suggestions, and Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Joyful Reading in 2011. Debra
Debra, I did remember about you leaving it on the train, but I never knew (apparently I missed that post) that you got it back! That's great.

I need to figure out something about marking my Sony. I would be heartbroken if it was left somewhere.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #15
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
I have a Brother labeler and put labels on all my stuff. Sure it can be removed, but if someone is going to remove it, they surely aren't going to ever return it.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote