Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-25-2009, 07:24 AM   #1
tali3sin
Connoisseur
tali3sin began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Magic
Question Where do you "international" folks buy your eBooks?

First off, I couldn't quite figure out what section would be best to pose this question in - so mods, if I've got it in the wrong place, or there is one more suited, let me know... or move the thread, or whatever
I realise this is the "device" forum, but it seems to be where most newbie questions get asked, so it seemed appropriate.

Alright, so it looks like I'll be receiving an eReader at some point in the not too distant future - and this is hugely exciting. But, I live in the Czech Republic, and after that will likely live in Australia. So I won't have a Kindle, a Sony seems pretty unlikely, and it appears you can't buy books from either of their stores without a US address/account.
My father recently attempted to purchase a book from MobiPocket - but found that it didn't like his Australian address so much either. He eventually found what he wanted on Fictionwise (my suggestion after reading around on here! Go mobileread!) but commented on their range compared to Amazon. Hmm.

So, if you don't live in the US - where can you even buy the latest and greatest titles? Is there anywhere with a comparable range to the almighty Amazon? Or does that range come together through multiple eBook sites, and so it all still works out?

Where do you get them from? And I'm talking about new releases/etc.
I know there's a lot of free books available, and so on, but I'm interested in basically all books... and it's worrying to think that they might be hard to find :-\

Thanks everyone (:
tali3sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I only buy at FictionWise atm. I doubt anything can compare with Amazon, if you take the amount of content available.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:35 AM   #3
PDS
Zealot
PDS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Dell Mini 9, I-Phone
Hi I mostly get mine from Books on Board, Diesel EBooks or Fictionwise.
PDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:47 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Mainly Fictionwise. Occasionally BooksonBoard. Webscription.net for SciFi/Fantasy, mostly from Baen Books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tali3sin View Post
Where do you get them from? And I'm talking about new releases/etc.
I know there's a lot of free books available, and so on, but I'm interested in basically all books... and it's worrying to think that they might be hard to find :-\

Thanks everyone (:
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:51 AM   #5
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Books on Board but I also check Fictionwise, WHSmith and a couple of others. The biggest problem is some sites are becoming "geographic"
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
tali3sin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Books on Board but I also check Fictionwise, WHSmith and a couple of others. The biggest problem is some sites are becoming "geographic"
So then, the ebook retailers didn't always limit things by country? Is there any reason to believe they're all going to fall into this sort of model...? It feels like Amazon is doing a pretty good job of getting a strangle hold on the market. Or maybe I'm paranoid

Do you all pretty much always find what you were looking for, with regard to fiction..? Or is it a kind of hit-and-miss "make do" situation?
Old 03-25-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
They are, but it's a purely "nominal" check with many of them. Eg with FW, just change your country to the US and pay by some method other than credit card (eg buy Micropay credits via PayPal and then pay with Micropay).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
tali3sin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They are, but it's a purely "nominal" check with many of them. Eg with FW, just change your country to the US and pay by some method other than credit card (eg buy Micropay credits via PayPal and then pay with Micropay).
Does that work with MobiPocket as well? I'm assuming that since they're owned by Amazon they have a similar range... unless Amazon is purposefully making sure that they don't, in order to promote the Kindle store.

Great tip though, thanks

And I've just found ebooks.com - does anyone use it? It appears to list multiple countries as being a-ok.

Last edited by tali3sin; 03-25-2009 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Removed the link.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:08 AM   #9
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
As others have already mentioned, I also use mainly Fictionwise, Books on Board, and WH Smith.

Have you checked the wiki page on ebook stores? I have noticed the list keeps getting longer!

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_stores
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:17 AM   #10
tali3sin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
As others have already mentioned, I also use mainly Fictionwise, Books on Board, and WH Smith.

Have you checked the wiki page on ebook stores? I have noticed the list keeps getting longer!

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_stores
Somehow I always forget the Wiki is there, thanks for the reminder
Old 03-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I think ebooks.com is Australian, so your Aussie bucks should work out OK with them. I got charged a HUGE international transaction fee at the only purchase I've made from them, which gave me a taste of what you guys all confront when buying from US booksellers.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:30 AM   #12
tali3sin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I think ebooks.com is Australian, so your Aussie bucks should work out OK with them. I got charged a HUGE international transaction fee at the only purchase I've made from them, which gave me a taste of what you guys all confront when buying from US booksellers.
Australian's get charged with those damnable transaction/conversion fees, and we get huge mark-ups on most imported products... which is basically every product. But, we live in a cheerful, warm and sunny country - so there has to be a catch, right?
Old 03-25-2009, 09:48 AM   #13
hekkel
Enthusiast
hekkel is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tali3sin View Post
So, if you don't live in the US - where can you even buy the latest and greatest titles? Is there anywhere with a comparable range to the almighty Amazon? Or does that range come together through multiple eBook sites, and so it all still works out?
Largest, I don't know, but the best collection in my eyes can be found at Waterstones (for English) and Numilog (French).

-maarten
hekkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:42 PM   #14
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
tali3sin, you could try www.macmillandigital.com.au or www.dymocks.com.au. www.ebooks.com is in Western Australia.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:31 AM   #15
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
The biggest problem is some sites are becoming "geographic"
I discovered this recently when trying to buy 2 Tom Holt books from Books on Board... I was shocked that they would sell to somone from the UK...

Writer from the UK.
Publisher from the UK

Only sell to USA...

What is that all about??
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebooks, international, purchasing