Notices

Old 08-30-2008, 04:29 AM   #1
TetraKM
Connoisseur
TetraKM doesn't litterTetraKM doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
Red face Books but no computer

Hi Chaps and Chapesses,

Just a quick question which will probably make you all and make me look a bit dim

But if I dont have access to a computer but have all my books on SD card when I get my device - will I still be able to read the books?

Or do I have to set the device up with the software and everything else before I use it.

I assume I will have to charge it but apart from that is it OK to just have the books all ready to go on an SD card?

Also can I transfer the books from the SD card to the Reader without a computer - using menus on the reader?
TetraKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:56 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TetraKM View Post
But if I dont have access to a computer but have all my books on SD card when I get my device - will I still be able to read the books?
No problem here if you want to read DRM-free books. That is books you have prepared yourself and not ones purchased from Sony store. Just insert the card and read away.
You should make sure that the files on the card are readable by your PRS. For this you can use Sony Library software (formerly known as Connect)

Quote:
Or do I have to set the device up with the software and everything else before I use it.
You do not have to do anything.
Just insert a card.
If you want to purchase books from Sony you HAVE to connect the reader to the Sony library software on a [windows] computer that is connected to the internet and authorize the reader to your account.
For books downloaded from the project Gutenberg, or from this site (have a look at the E-Books link above) or for books downloaded from Baen, of Fictionbooks or numerous other sites you do not have to connect the reader to anything.
This is what I do.
Quote:
Also can I transfer the books from the SD card to the Reader without a computer - using menus on the reader?
It is possible to transfer books on PRS-500 thanks to clever hackers that posted HackBuilder on this site. You *can* apply this hack just by inserting the SD card with some files prepared on it and restarting the reader. No need to connect to the computer.

As for PRS-505, try to have a look around this site. I do not follow hacks for 505 very closely.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2008, 08:09 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
One other point:

If the books are simply dumped onto an SD card, then there will be a short lag time when the title is first opened and/or you change the point size. The Sony software takes care of this, but you're bypassing that.

The lag time isn't really significant (in my opinion), but is really just an irritant.

Hope this helps.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:15 AM   #4
TetraKM
Connoisseur

Thanks chaps n Chapesses

Brill - I was hoping that was the case.

I have converted some of my existing MS reader library and through grit and determination scanned one of my books in all ready. Used Calibre - which is one top program to convert them all to LRF - (interesting the way it creats several version of the files for multiple reader - coole )

I downloaded the free software from Sony and all of them can be read

So the final question is if I have them on an SD card that I use in my IPAQ (all together in one folder) will they be seen or will I have to put them on the root directory of the card?
Old 08-30-2008, 09:32 AM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:

So the final question is if I have them on an SD card that I use in my IPAQ (all together in one folder) will they be seen or will I have to put them on the root directory of the card?
Just put the books anywhere on the card. Any directory structure you might fancy.
The reader will carefully read your complicated directory structure and then it will present your books in a single long flat list ;-).
So when you have 500 books on the card you will have to page through 50 pages 10 files each.
The Reader will create one directory on the card with some info about the files for its internal needs.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2008, 02:54 AM   #6
TetraKM
Connoisseur

excellent glad to see I won't cock it up if I just create a folder with all my books in there