Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
ghaleon256
ghaleon256 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3rd Gen.
Kindle keyboard five way problem

My down and left directional buttons are swapped! Up and right work normally but pressing left has the effect that pressing down should and visa versa. As far as I can tell this happened with the 3.4 software update, CS offered me their wisdom of "turn it off and on" "factory reset" and "buy a new one". Anyone have any other advice? I wanted CS to push a firmware restore or something of the like but they report that no such process exists.
ghaleon256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I wonder if it isn't a mechanical problem.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Factory reset might actually get rid of the update and go back to what it was when it first came out of the box. Can't hurt - make a backup of your files before though.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool factory reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Factory reset might actually get rid of the update and go back to what it was when it first came out of the box. Can't hurt - make a backup of your files before though.
It doesn't work that way. Factory reset ends up with the most recent update in place. It doesn't revert to the original firmware version.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by alansplace; 12-25-2012 at 11:41 PM. Reason: oops!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
ghaleon256
ghaleon256 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3rd Gen.
After playing with the device some more I'm leaning towards mechanical problem as maybe 1/10 presses of the down key results in a "down" rather than left while 100% of the time pressing left results in a down. It looks a little too involved to open the device up to get at the pad so I'll just live with it, all I really use those buttons for is turning text to speech on and off.
ghaleon256 is offline   Reply With Quote