Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
lmcread
Enthusiast
lmcread began at the beginning.

Device: none
my library from kobo store

when i log onto my account from kobo store and i buy my ebooks.. its stored in my kobo store library... does it stay there forever ?
lmcread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
In theory it could, but the general wisdom is not to rely on any store to keep your books for you long term. Most folks around here keep their own backup copies.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
lmcread
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
In theory it could, but the general wisdom is not to rely on any store to keep your books for you long term. Most folks around here keep their own backup copies.
what is the best way to make the backup copies... you mean put it on an external drive ?
Old 11-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcread View Post
what is the best way to make the backup copies... you mean put it on an external drive ?
Download the DRM epub version of the books you bought from Kobo, and store them on your computer (or an external drive if you want). You can download the DRM epub versions from the book page on the kobobooks.com site.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
echwel
Connoisseur
echwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Forma (sold), Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
I put all my books in Calibre on my computer. That way, I have a backup on a different machine.

Than I make a backup on a network drive, and back that up on an external USB-drive.

I would prefer if Calibre on the computer could be combined with the networkdrive, but due to updatingproblems that does not work (the networkdrive does not have a driveletter).

These local copys (combined with something about DRM) make sure that I will be able to keep reading these books, whether Adobe, Kobo or any bookseller/servicesprovider keeps providing it's services or not, of course provided that the epub-file-format is staying alive. I'm guessing that otherwise, after a conversion, that would not be a problem too.
echwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
lmcread
Enthusiast

thanks for all the helpful tips.... i am just starting new with this ereader business even though i tried last year .. but had to let it go.........now i am starting again... i wish you i had someone close to give me a quick demo ... but as least I have all the experts here !!!!!!!.. thanks.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
thanks for all the helpful tips.... i am just starting new with this ereader business even though i tried last year .. but had to let it go.........now i am starting again... i wish you i had someone close to give me a quick demo ... but as least I have all the experts here !!!!!!!.. thanks.
Try your local library...
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
lmcread
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
Try your local library...
yes.. i did .. as my luck have it......they don't offer ebook lending...

they are looking into this....for lat 2013 or 2014.........
hey with the high taxes i am paying...*(@#&*#&#.. that is another story.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
i wish you i had someone close to give me a quick demo ...
Where abouts in the world are you? You might have a local who's also on this forum who'd be willing to show you.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote