Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #481
wynand32
Enthusiast
wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I think that's a different situation. It's possible your iPad was on the cooler side and his was on the warmer side. His might have been closer to the 6500K standard, which is supposed to be a bit warm. Most people are not used to this and think it is yellow, esp when they compare it side by side with another display that is neutral or cool.

Now, if his iPad had had yellow blobs on an otherwise white screen, I think he would've noticed it. That is really the problem -- uniformity.

Personally I would love it if the PW was a bit yellowish instead of bluish. It would make it more comfortable at night (think home vs office lighting) and look more paper like.
This yellow-tint thing was a problem when the iPad 3 first came out, and trust me, it wasn't merely a difference in color temp. It was a distinct yellow tint that affected not only whites, but grays as well (which if you're familiar with iOS is a predominant UI color). But it was also most noticeable once you held it next to another, better iPad, and once noticed, couldn't be un-noticed.

Which I do think is the same here, unless the screen is really terrible.
wynand32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #482
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wystearya View Post
Yeah.. Those lines in the upper left-hand corner are what broke the camel's back for me.
Sorry for your issues. I see it too. I hope your new one is an improvement, keep us posted. Good luck.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #483
wystearya
Enthusiast
wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'll definitely be posting here once the replacement arrives. I hope I get lucky with the next one!
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #484
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Looks like Kobo does a much better job of distributing light evenly. I don't see any dark shadow areas like I do on almost all the PW photos, even the official Amazon photos. But it looks like the same sort of discolorations. I think this first generation of light layered e-readers needs a lot of improvement! I'll wait until next year. I decided to get a Nexus 7 for night reading. Even if an iPad Mini gets released there could be issues with them too, so better to wait on that until next year as well.
You will love the Nexus 7 -- the display is stunning and the quad core processor is screaming fast. (Be sure to install ScreenDim for customized brightness/contrast settings) It is excellent for night reading.

Last edited by Skydog; 10-12-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #485
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I don't see any lines in that photo. That is a good unit.
Sirmaru, I should be so lucky to have your eyesight. Everything and everybody would be looking good to me
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #486
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wystearya View Post
Well, I called them and they are sending me a replacement via 2 day shipping. The estimated delivery date is Oct. 16th. So, maybe I will get one with a better screen. And if not at least I can live with this one!
I hope the next one will be better. The one you have now is unacceptable.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #487
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rontonio View Post
I wanted to chime in. I had problems with the last Kindle I bought, and with the replacement, so the 3rd time around I waited until day 29 and sent in Kindle number two and I finally received a good one. If you like the PW, wait as long as possible, to send yours in. Maybe Amazon will have solved the production problems, and you'll get one from the new batch. I've replaced my PW once already and will follow my own suggestion for PW number 3.
It's a thought, but I would rather not risk getting someone's refurbished unit. Right now they don't ave any refurbished PWs because they just came out. In 29 days... who knows.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #488
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Sirmaru, I should be so lucky to have your eyesight. Everything and everybody would be looking good to me
These cataracts allow me to read without glasses at distances and very close. I am never blinded by sunlight and never blinded at night by bright headlights.

Now they allow me to read perfectly with all PW screen defects carefully screened out.

I'll probably stall the cataract replacements right down to the end. I see better with them than I used to see without them.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #489
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I still have it. Maybe my grammar was bad.

BLOL

Here is the picture of my unit:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=193078&page=2

Scroll down on that page. Its #7 from the top.

The photo shows a blue line on the left border. Someone told me that is a normal shadow from a light source to the left which happened to be my window.
That shadow on the left side would be rather annoying (IMHO).
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #490
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
These cataracts allow me to read without glasses at distances and very close. I am never blinded by sunlight and never blinded at night by bright headlights.

You know, you might've disclosed this when you repeatedly told everyone to crank their light all the way up.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #491
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It does look like the KPW has better colors then the Jetbook Color.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #492
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgetus View Post
The reviewers do not test at night!

@jswinden If I buy all these coloured lights (all different colours) and put them on my kindle then it should evtl. be a nice white!
The reviewers generally do a poor job because they miss things and don't review what's actually important.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #493
Mobert
Enthusiast
Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I just want to report that I have received my second replacement. The original PW had dark colored blobs, the second PW had colored blobs but not as severe but it also had one LED that was many times brighter than the others and caused a bright half quarter sized whiter area in the bottom corner. The third PW still has blobs, so I would say that is the nature of the beast. All three units came from different distribution centers (Arizona, Washington, and then Nevada). I will keep the third unit for now.

All three units are different enough that I can tell which is which easily, there is definitely a variation between units.

I too have cataracts, and tend to crank the screen lighting up. Looking at the cloudy areas makes me feel like my cataracts are getting worse!
Mobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #494
wynand32
Enthusiast
wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 505
I received my replacement PW, and immediately noticed a reddish tint at the upper-right hand corner, with a swath of bluish tint that went diagonally from right to left. Holding the replacement next to the original, and the original is actually looking pretty good to me now. It's all relative, I suppose.

The original's good enough for me in general, and it's excellent in direct sunlight where I typically use my e-ink reader anyways, and so I'm going to keep it and return the replacement. Just got off chat with customer service, easy enough.
wynand32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #495
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
For those of you who have problem PW's, it's only at night with the light on, right? I took replacement 3 out of the box again and had a perfectly enjoyable experience reading out in the sun. Now I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm in the middle of a bad relationship and can't break up.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote