Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
slainte
Zealot
slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
ebook/media player/internet browser what to buy

Still looking for best device.
What I want is a touchscreen tablet device similar look to ipad 7 or 9 inch, fairly light, able to carry round in bag. Want to read books, download and watch films, browse internet, get emails basic computing.
Ipad looked good but no usb port and you are dependent on their apps.
Want to be able to read my own books on device various formats.
All Advice welcome
slainte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
If you are willing to wait a few months there are a whole slew of devices coming that will likely meet your requirements.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
slainte
Zealot
slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Which ones should i look out for
slainte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
digitalfad
digitalfad began at the beginning.

Device: JE200,JAnd700, Hero G3;
Thumbs up JoinTech-JE200,jAnd 700 and jWin700

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
If you are willing to wait a few months there are a whole slew of devices coming that will likely meet your requirements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slainte View Post
Still looking for best device.
What I want is a touchscreen tablet device similar look to ipad 7 or 9 inch, fairly light, able to carry round in bag. Want to read books, download and watch films, browse internet, get emails basic computing.
Ipad looked good but no usb port and you are dependent on their apps.
Want to be able to read my own books on device various formats.
All Advice welcome
Hi,Slainte

Last edited by digitalfad; 10-20-2010 at 04:33 AM.
digitalfad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
mlstein
Enthusiast
mlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it is

Device: iPad (one)
Ooog! WinCE, not Android or Linux? WiFi needs a dongle? Sounds like a non-starter to me. I'd take the advice to wait a few months. There are going to be a slew of devices at amazingly low prices, some of them will be lousy but some will be worth it.
mlstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:47 AM   #6
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
http://www.SmartQMid.com

I've broken a Q7 and a V7. I will be upgrading to a T7 when it comes out. (Price ~ $250 with a 7" screen) These last about 1 school year in my jeans pocket, being used daily.

This is a tablet that supports Ubuntu, Android, and CE concurrently.

The standard Ubuntu plays HD video, and reads most non-DRMed ebook formats.

Android allows you to use Amazon, B&N, Borders, Audible, etc DRMed ebooks.

Standard connectivity includes USB host, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and HDMI. 3G is optional through the USB port, or sometime soon it may be internal on some models of the T7.

Andy (another SmartQ Fundamentalist)
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:15 AM   #7
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
Wait!

All of the current inexpensive devices are buggy or flawed. (I'm speaking from experience as an owner or user of several)

You mentioned the ipad. It just might be the best for your needs. Otherwise, wait and see what else comes along later.

PS- Stay away from full operating system devices (XP, Vista, 7, etc). I own a couple of tablets with those OS. They're tempting with full computing power but they are really overkill and miss the whole point of having a small MID device.

Last edited by pphilipp; 07-31-2010 at 08:20 AM.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... Still looking for best device ... for everything ... lightweight ....

What are the reasons you haven't purchased an Apple iPad already?
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
digitalfad

Smile New Android device-JR7 built-in wifi, support 3G and 720p video

new Android device-JR7 fromwill meet all your requirement,

Last edited by digitalfad; 10-20-2010 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
digitalfad

Anyone who can tell me how to upload the pics?
Old 08-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #11
mrkarl
Connoisseur
mrkarl began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre pro
get the asus 91mt....it'sreally not that cumbersome and it's not that expensive, it works great, and it is nice to have a keyboard handy at times
mrkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #12
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Maybe the Viliv X70 or S7 Premium? www.dynamism.com
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #13
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
ExoPC

I am waiting for the ExoPC, it should be available in September 2010:
http://www.exopc.com/en/exopc-slate.php
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #14
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfad View Post
new Android device-JR7 from Join Technology Limited will meet all your requirement, 150USD for samples! contact at [email]sale6@jointech.com.hk
Android 1.5 ???????????? You have to be kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
I am waiting for the ExoPC, it should be available in September 2010:
http://www.exopc.com/en/exopc-slate.php
The 16:9 screen may be fine if all you want to do is watch movies but I think it stinks for anything else.

After waiting and waiting for the promised devices that NEVER came to market this year, I finally got a Pandigital Novel. I consider it a good interim stop-gap reader/MID when hacked. Lots of people working on the Novel and new apps/features are showing up fairly regularly. Latest rumor is that the source code is forthcoming. That means that it may only be a short time until it will be possible to load Android 2.2 (it has 2.1 now).

I'll still be looking forward to the new offerings, WHENEVER they appear, but now I can comfortably wait -- even until the 2nd or 3rd generations when the bugs are worked out.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #15
hrickh
Enthusiast
hrickh began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N800, EeePC 4G Surf
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
After waiting and waiting for the promised devices that NEVER came to market this year, I finally got a Pandigital Novel....
I'll still be looking forward to the new offerings, WHENEVER they appear, but now I can comfortably wait -- even until the 2nd or 3rd generations when the bugs are worked out.
I'm still using my Nokia N800 as a device to do all these things. It actually does a decent job at pretty much everything I throw at it, excepting maybe Flash (although it makes an attempt, at least).

How do you think the Novel would compare to the N800?

I guess the other thing I really like is the N800's size. it fits in my pocket. I've not found anything else that does what it does and fits in a pocket.

I'm with you on waiting for the new offerings. I'm frankly kind of tired of reading about things supposedly coming to market, then never materializing.

R.
==
hrickh is offline   Reply With Quote