Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-08-2018, 11:13 AM   #31
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
...And there are some authors that get special treatment from me simply because I like their voice, such as: Agatha Christie, John Irving, Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman. (Stephen King used to be on this list but his voice changed.)
I totally get this. My go to 'voice' author is Raymond Chandler. I tend to enjoy his books as much for the writing as I do for the story being told. Stephen King and John Irving are also good examples.

For some reason, Neil Gaiman and I never connected. I first started picking up his work when he wrote Black Orchid and I was one of the six or seven people that bought the first few issues of Sandman new off the shelves (the series didn't become a hit until issue #8 and the Doll's House storyline). But, I dunno. I've read things here and there (Black Orchid, about half of Sandman, Violent Cases, Coraline, Good Omens) and he's just not a favorite. I have Neverwhere, American Gods, Stardust and Anansi Boys, but I haven't read any of them yet.

And then there's authors where I might enjoy the story being told, but the author's voice gets in the way. Dean Koontz is a good example here. Something about his writing just gets under my skin, but not in the way he intended.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #32
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
True enough. Goes to show, though, that "bestseller" status isn't necessarily a reliable indication of enduring success. Only time will judge whose popularity will outlive them and whose won't.
True enough, that's why Shakespeare and not Christopher Marlowe is the Elizabethan playwright everyone knows.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2018, 01:27 AM   #33
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
[...] And then there's authors where I might enjoy the story being told, but the author's voice gets in the way. Dean Koontz is a good example here. Something about his writing just gets under my skin, but not in the way he intended.
Yes, it does work both ways. I've hit this with some YA stuff. I quite like the story idea but the phrasing just grates - and since it is otherwise popular it must be just me.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:01 AM   #34
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
It is a little strange as a long time Science Fiction (note SF not SciFi) reader the there are only two authors I would put in the category. Neither of them are SF writers. These are
C. S. Forrester &
Robert van Gulik
Neither is going to win the Nobel Prize for Literature but I have reread them more times than I can remember over the last sixty years and look forward to reading them again. There is something about these books that just grab me.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:48 AM   #35
sebibeck
sebibeck began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I love Anne Tyler, but haven't loved all of her books. It's like having a favorite restaurant...it's unlikely that you would love every dish they serve.

It did feel like some sort of failure on my part when I couldn't get through A Spool of Blue Thread
That's a great comparison! I think it is very, very rare that someone likes every single book of his favorite author - same with music. Some songs you like better than others.
sebibeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2018, 10:47 PM   #36
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
There are a number of authors who have written a dozen or so (and a couple who have written two dozen or so) books where I like every single one of them, but the only really prolific author (six dozen books?) who comes close to a perfect record with me is C. J. Cherryh.

Last edited by GeoffR; 03-09-2018 at 11:20 PM. Reason: ... and a couple who have written two dozen or so ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:54 AM   #37
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
There are a number of authors who have written a dozen or so (and a couple who have written two dozen or so) books where I like every single one of them, but the only really prolific author (six dozen books?) who comes close to a perfect record with me is C. J. Cherryh.
That was an impressive assessment.
I looked her up at Amazon and she is indeed a very prolific author. I haven't read anything of her work. Would you recommend a title to start with?
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:05 AM   #38
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
That was an impressive assessment.
I looked her up at Amazon and she is indeed a very prolific author. I haven't read anything of her work. Would you recommend a title to start with?
Probably anything originally published in the 1980s which was mostly SF. Later her writing got a bit more experimental (and to my mind, less readable). Her earlier work is slowly being transferred to digital.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #39
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post

Pat Briggs is another.

Some Authors newer work just get stale as a series grinds on.

I think the prologue to the original Star Trek (TV series) applies, even for books. ...Explore new civilizations, to go boldly....

Crime/Mysteries have 'case differences' the can keep them interesting. But Some others, just push the characters into a new 'playing board' situation.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:43 PM   #40
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

Pat Briggs is another.

Some Authors newer work just get stale as a series grinds on.

I think the prologue to the original Star Trek (TV series) applies, even for books. ...Explore new civilizations, to go boldly....

Crime/Mysteries have 'case differences' the can keep them interesting. But Some others, just push the characters into a new 'playing board' situation.
Agree on Briggs. I really like C.J. Cherryh's Morgaine Cycle and The Paladin. Wasn't as fond of some of her other works and there are a lot that I haven't read yet.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:31 PM   #41
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Agree on Briggs. I really like C.J. Cherryh's Morgaine Cycle and The Paladin. Wasn't as fond of some of her other works and there are a lot that I haven't read yet.

I really recommend "The Paladin" it is one of my favorite books of all time.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:57 PM   #42
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
I haven't read anything of her work. Would you recommend a title to start with?
These could be good ones to start with, but beware that quite a few of her books are still not available as ebooks, so if you get hooked you might have to read some paper books:

Science Fiction:
* Heavy Time
* Merchanter's Luck (ebook included in "Alliance Space" omnibus)
* Rimrunners (no ebook)
* Cyteen (no ebook)

Science Fantasy / Low Fantasy:
* Gate of Ivrel (ebook included in "The Complete Morgaine" omnibus)
* The Angel with the Sword (no ebook)
* The Paladin

Fantasy:
* Faery in Shadow (ebook "Faery Moon")
* The Dreamstone (ebook included in "The Dreaming Tree" omnibus)
* Rusalka
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:42 PM   #43
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
do visit her web sit http://www.closed-circle.net/
And there is a book or 2 in the Baen Free Library
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:36 AM   #44
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Thank you for all Cherryh recommendations.
I have bought the Paladin because of good reviews, but also because it, as far as I can see, is not part of a series.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:26 AM   #45
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thank you for all Cherryh recommendations.
I have bought the Paladin because of good reviews, but also because it, as far as I can see, is not part of a series.
There is a sequel, but it was written much later. Paladin is very much a stand alone book.