Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-03-2017, 04:20 PM   #1
BlackThumb
BlackThumb began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab Note 8
Red face Linux, Calibre 2.82.0, Missing icon/menu path for Connect/Share?

Hello,

I have spent the last few hours reinstalling and purging Calibre and its' dependencies because I was convinced that my system was missing a library or something necessary to manifest the "Connect/Share" menu path on the Linux desktop version of Calibre.

Problem: Where on the Linux Calibre program, is the "Connect/Share" icon that is displayed in the Android Calibre Companion app's help popup? From the FAQ's and manuals and Google, it appears to me that this icon is right under my nose!

Is this functionality not available on the Linux version of Calibre? If so, my apologies!

I am completely stumped.

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial) 64 bit.

Debug spew:

Code:
Mustbe@Blind:~$ calibre-debug -g
calibre 2.82  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Linux-4.4.0-71-generic-x86_64-with-debian-stretch-sid Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '4.4.0-71-generic', '#92-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 24 12:59:01 UTC 2017')
Python 2.7.9
Linux: ('debian', 'stretch/sid', '')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Find Duplicates (1, 6, 2) && QuarantineAndScrub (3, 6, 101) && Consolidate All Library Metadata (2, 0, 28) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && Goodreads (1, 1, 12) && Generate Cover (1, 5, 21) && Embed Comic Metadata (1, 3, 4) && View Manager (1, 3, 2) && Count Pages (1, 7, 0) && EpubMerge (2, 1, 0) && Prettify Cover (0, 9, 7) && Extract ISBN (1, 4, 4) && Library Codes (1, 0, 27) && Clean Metadata (0, 0, 6) && Manage Series (1, 2, 8) && NormComment (0, 0, 2) && MultiColumnSearch (1, 0, 69) && SmartEject (2, 0, 6) && Reading List (1, 6, 6)
devicePixelRatio: 1.0
logicalDpi: 96.0 x 96.0
physicalDpi: 128.0 x 128.186915888
Starting up...
DEBUG:    0.0 NormComment::action.py - loading translations
EpubMerge: DEBUG: 2017-04-03 15:53:21,253: calibre_plugins.epubmerge.epubmerge_plugin(152): macmenuhack file_path:/home/sysop/.config/calibre/plugins/fanficfare_macmenuhack.txt
MCS has finished initialization...
Started up in 3.52 seconds with 428 books
[1]+  Done                    calibre
Mustbe@Blind:~$
Thanks!
BlackThumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:02 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackThumb View Post
Hello,

I have spent the last few hours reinstalling and purging Calibre and its' dependencies because I was convinced that my system was missing a library or something necessary to manifest the "Connect/Share" menu path on the Linux desktop version of Calibre.

Problem: Where on the Linux Calibre program, is the "Connect/Share" icon that is displayed in the Android Calibre Companion app's help popup? From the FAQ's and manuals and Google, it appears to me that this icon is right under my nose!

Is this functionality not available on the Linux version of Calibre? If so, my apologies!

I am completely stumped.

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial) 64 bit.

Debug spew:

Code:
Mustbe@Blind:~$ calibre-debug -g
calibre 2.82  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Linux-4.4.0-71-generic-x86_64-with-debian-stretch-sid Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '4.4.0-71-generic', '#92-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 24 12:59:01 UTC 2017')
Python 2.7.9
Linux: ('debian', 'stretch/sid', '')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Find Duplicates (1, 6, 2) && QuarantineAndScrub (3, 6, 101) && Consolidate All Library Metadata (2, 0, 28) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && Goodreads (1, 1, 12) && Generate Cover (1, 5, 21) && Embed Comic Metadata (1, 3, 4) && View Manager (1, 3, 2) && Count Pages (1, 7, 0) && EpubMerge (2, 1, 0) && Prettify Cover (0, 9, 7) && Extract ISBN (1, 4, 4) && Library Codes (1, 0, 27) && Clean Metadata (0, 0, 6) && Manage Series (1, 2, 8) && NormComment (0, 0, 2) && MultiColumnSearch (1, 0, 69) && SmartEject (2, 0, 6) && Reading List (1, 6, 6)
devicePixelRatio: 1.0
logicalDpi: 96.0 x 96.0
physicalDpi: 128.0 x 128.186915888
Starting up...
DEBUG:    0.0 NormComment::action.py - loading translations
EpubMerge: DEBUG: 2017-04-03 15:53:21,253: calibre_plugins.epubmerge.epubmerge_plugin(152): macmenuhack file_path:/home/sysop/.config/calibre/plugins/fanficfare_macmenuhack.txt
MCS has finished initialization...
Started up in 3.52 seconds with 428 books
[1]+  Done                    calibre
Mustbe@Blind:~$
Thanks!
It should be on the main toolbar if not then go to Preferences--toolbars--select main than add it.

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gui.html#actions

bernie

Last edited by gbm; 04-03-2017 at 05:09 PM.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2017, 06:29 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
By default Connect/Share appears in The main toolbar when a device is connected toolbar along with Location Manager and Send to device. That toolbar is only displayed when calibre detects a device is connected.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:25 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
By default Connect/Share appears in The main toolbar when a device is connected toolbar along with Location Manager and Send to device. That toolbar is only displayed when calibre detects a device is connected.
I know it has been a long time, but this is not completely correct. Since the connect/share feature has little to do with the device, by default it is also shown on the main toolbar. Regardless the solution is still exactly as gbm states in post 2.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:05 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Actually, It should NOT show on a Device Connected toolbar.

Calibre does not permit 2 devices to be connected at the same time.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2017, 09:40 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Strange, I checked before I posted against a fresh install portable of 2.82 from yesterday.

The Connect/share is definitely only on the 'when device connected' toolbar, see attachments. Given I never click toolbar buttons I wouldn't haven't changed them deliberately and they're not easily changed mistakenly.

The only customisation I did was to Look and Feel->Layout (to Narrow), Look and Feel->Book Details (column selection and order), and Keyboard shortcuts.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maintoolbar.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	155994   Click image for larger version

Name:	connectedtoolbar.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	155995  
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:59 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A

Your observation is valid.
Since none of my systems have a 'stock' toolbar (I use all 3), I must have added CS to my main toolbar.

It still is puzzling, since you can NOT Connect to Folder while some device is connected
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:42 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
The Connect/share is definitely only on the 'when device connected' toolbar, see attachments.
Not that it makes a difference but the connect/share icon is in both toolbars by default. I installed calibre on a fresh machine build, see attached. This was the 64 bit Windows install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_virgin_install.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	155996  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-03-2017 at 11:45 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, companion, connect/share, linux