Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-23-2018, 02:29 AM   #1
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & 3
Gift This, Not That: Kobo Aura One Vs. Kindle Oasis. What about Oxford Dictionary?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradmoo...s-kindle-oasis

i like to support non kindle but why other brand readers don't have Oxford Dictionary.

is Oxford Dictionary patent to Kindle or other brand readers can't afford to pay the license to Oxford?
steven168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:32 AM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven168 View Post
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradmoo...s-kindle-oasis

i like to support non kindle but why other brand readers don't have Oxford Dictionary.

is Oxford Dictionary patent to Kindle or other brand readers can't afford to pay the license to Oxford?
I don't know. As far as I know the Sony Readers were the only others that used the Oxford dictionaries. Maybe the cost is prohibitive. Or maybe the other eInk don't think the dictionary is as important to their customers. I (personally) think it makes a big difference, but then I used to read our old 1913 Unabridged Webster's dictionary for the "fun" of it. I think Pocketbook uses that 1913 Websters. I would like to have the option of adding that one to my eReaders.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:47 AM   #3
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Sony dead already
Old 03-23-2018, 10:10 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't know. As far as I know the Sony Readers were the only others that used the Oxford dictionaries.
The Bookeen Cybook Gen3 could use any Mobi-format dictionary. I've used both the Concise Oxford and the Chambers with mine.

Kobos can use extra dictionaries, but you'll have to do the conversion yourself, they don't sell them.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:10 AM   #5
steven168
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
The Bookeen Cybook Gen3 could use any Mobi-format dictionary. I've used both the Concise Oxford and the Chambers with mine.

Kobos can use extra dictionaries, but you'll have to do the conversion yourself, they don't sell them.
how to convert from kindle oxford dictionary
Old 03-23-2018, 10:20 AM   #6
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
how to convert from kindle oxford dictionary
Have a look here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=232883
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:37 AM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sony dead already
No longer sold (new) but definitely not dead.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:37 AM   #8
steven168
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
anyone else convert and upload?

i think i better stick to kindle..

all dictionary free are there

Last edited by steven168; 03-23-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:43 AM   #9
steven168
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
No longer sold (new) but definitely not dead.
time to come will become dead.... 1 by 1 as no more new model.

my old kindle paperwhite 1 also dead and now get new kindle paperwhite 3
Old 03-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
time to come will become dead.... 1 by 1 as no more new model.

my old kindle paperwhite 1 also dead and now get new kindle paperwhite 3
As long as a device works for its intended purpose it's not "dead." Sony Readers work for their intended purpose. In my opinion they work better as eReaders than does any other device – if my eyes could adjust to front-lit eReaders I might think differently.