Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-30-2006, 03:11 PM   #1
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Since the advent of Eink do you still use you previous reader?

Hundreds of our fellow MR bloggers have now embraced Eink era. I'm curious to know if they still use their previous readers for reading. Phones don't count.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
In a word, no.

I'll still read on paper, if I can't get an e-version of a book, but going back to my Palm T3? I don't think so.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2006, 04:08 PM   #3
airlik
Connoisseur
airlik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I had actually given up entirely on eBooks until the Sony Reader... reading on the desktop PC? I spend enough time in front of the computer already. On the laptop? A portable heating pad I don't need and way too heavy... On my Palm? WAY too small and not nearly enough battery life - I wouldn't drain the batteries reading only to find it dead when I need an address or something. Suddenly all those Gutenberg downloads are seeing some life...
airlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:19 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I absolutely still read on my Treo. As much as I want to have the Sony Reader around all the time, it isn't with me as much as my smartphone. Plus, there are times when it's nice to read the Treo in bed because it's tiny and comfortable to hold as I lay on my back and have the backlight on it.

Some people will, of course, read only with one device, but I like variety. One of these days I hope to also read on somethink like a UMPC or tablet also.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:40 PM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I still use my Palm TX, mainly because I can't get my Sony reader back from my mother. (Maybe I need to buy another one.) However the TX is much more portable & therefore it is easier to follow an old military habit of taking advantage of any spare minute or a dozen to read since it is always with me. Also when my wife wants company when she goes to the horse barn, I have a back light to use while I wait.

Bottom line - I like them both.

I wish there was an easy way to sync their bookmarks.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2006, 05:45 PM   #6
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda
However the TX is much more portable & therefore it is easier to follow an old military habit of taking advantage of any spare minute or a dozen to read since it is always with me.
Same here. I still carry my TX with me wherever I go. So it's always easy to pick off a few pages of The Shadow or Doc Savage story of the month.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:02 PM   #7
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

The Shadow or Doc Savage? Really? I didn't know that stuff was available.

Sorry -- off topic.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:38 AM   #8
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv
The Shadow or Doc Savage? Really? I didn't know that stuff was available.
It was available. Blackmask had it before the Content Cartel shut it down.

Although there was no proof, Conde Nast claimed that the Shadow and Doc Savage were still under copyright. So they shut down all of Blackmask (which had thousands of works that were definately in the Public Domain) and are still playing legal games to keep it off line.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:07 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
[QUOTE=slayda]I still use my Palm TX, mainly because I can't get my Sony reader back from my mother. (Maybe I need to buy another one.) ... [QUOTE]

That is funny! I think I'd have the same problem too. Thanks for the warning!

Does that mean that a reader would be as personal as underware?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:26 AM   #10
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
One of the main differences between a pbook library & an ebook library is you need the reader for ebooks. If you loan the reader so someone else can read one of your books, then you don't have the reader for yourself.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:33 AM   #11
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
<i>. . . to hold as I lay on my back and have the backlight on it.</i>

What? That sounds like sacrilege. I still read on my IPAQ. I have currently lent my Sony Reader to a friend of mine who is a bookseller and does not currently read ebooks but does get alot of manuscripts and ARCs to read.

I just read so much at night that the lack of a good booklight has stumped me. I am waiting for the integrated light eink or even a good sized lcd. The sony reader is such a sexy looking device. Even the star-whatever it is called - doesn't look half so good.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:07 AM   #12
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I gave my old e-reader (GEB2150) to my younger brother and he loves it!
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 04:30 AM   #13
pdam
Groupie
pdam doesn't litterpdam doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, iPaq, Psion5&7, Blackberry
Paper, obviously.
Laptop - because much of the stuff I read is in A4 PDF on on a service like Science Direct online, or blogs and forums.
Blackberry - BBC news, it's still the more convenient as it's wireless and I always have it.
So absolutely!!
pdam is offline   Reply With Quote