Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #211
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
if you hold it outside in the sun at an angle that you will never read it at, you can see little diamonds
You see that on other devices that have a capacitive touch screen too. It's only visible at a steep viewing angle in bright sunlight.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #212
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
You see that on other devices that have a capacitive touch screen too. It's only visible at a steep viewing angle in bright sunlight.
I must admit to being a trifle tongue in cheek with that comment

All I want to do is read it, and that usually means holding it face on.
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #213
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Had a look at a demo model of the new Aura in WH Smith today and apart from one thing it's really tempting me. The flush screen is very nice, I fiddled with a whole lot of settings/options and everything was very quick, and the light looked very good (and not so bright compared to the Glo). I also think that the wasted header/footer space can be negated slightly by altering margins & line space so that's not so much of an issue as I thought it might be.

However, that bright line along the top of the screen that others have mentioned is a concern. I'm not sure what it'd be like in varied reading conditions, probably in low/dim lighting where you don't have the light on very brightly it'll be fine, but in a fairly brightly lit shop, as soon as I turned the light up to 53% it was very noticeable.

Edit: also asked about the availability of the pink Aura, but no one had a clue when it'd be available.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #214
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@I_macd,

In case it helps, in normal (UK murky) daytime reading conditions I don't normally need the lighting any higher than 30-35% on either of my Kobos. In the evening it's lower. Though I obviously don't know how the new Aura's light level compares.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #215
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
After reading of so many faulty units, I cancelled my online order from WH Smith and decided to wait until a local store had stock. Today the Watford store had 5 Auras so I thought it was worth a try. To my absolute amazement the first one we opened was perfect! No bright spots, no black spots or anything. I'm impressed so far, it is lovely small and light, far nicer (for me) to hold and use than my Paperwhite.

The only question I have is for people who already have this device - the two finger swipe to alter the brightness, is it available from all screens, or just from within a book?
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #216
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
the black and the pink one will be availabe on september the 27th (next Friday) in France
http://www.fnac.com/Liseuse-numeriqu...r/a6451350/w-4

Last edited by vice-versa; 09-20-2013 at 02:59 PM. Reason: typo
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #217
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeke5 View Post
I don't know if this is a hardware or software issue. I downloaded my books through Adobe Digital editions and when I read a book and put it to sleep it always reverts to the same first book I opened initially, even though I have read 10 pages of a newer book. Not sure why this is happening and it is a little bit frustrating. Spoke with customer service 3 times already Who told me to reset and then re-sign him and then reinitialize all of which I have done and I'm still left with the same problem except now half the books I had put the collection that I had created are no longer there. Would all this be a software issue or do I just need to go and exchange this for a new one as it might be hardware problem any ideas thanks a lot everyone.
Did you do a full factory reset or just a pin reset (pressing the button in the bottom (I assume it's still on the bottom) with a pin)? You can do a full factory reset (wipe the device) from the Settings/Device Information menu. Try that if you haven't. The problem sounds like a software problem with the database, but if you have wiped the device that should have solved it. If you have done a factory reset and it's still doing this I'd do an exchange because it sounds like the memory is corrupt.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #218
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
Very tempted to replace my t1 with an Aura so will go and have a look in wh Smith. Thanks to all for all the info
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #219
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
In case it helps, in normal (UK murky) daytime reading conditions I don't normally need the lighting any higher than 30-35% on either of my Kobos. In the evening it's lower. Though I obviously don't know how the new Aura's light level compares.
Thanks for that. I'm still going to wait and see how the PW compares, and I may even end up ordering both online so I can get the two and compare them together, then return the one I don't want to keep for a refund. Definitely impressed with my first look at it, though playing with one instore obviously isn't the same as taking one home to play with it properly.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #220
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Lyn2012,

The two finger swipe works only from within a book. As far as I can tell anyways.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #221
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
Edit: Oops, forgot a very important thing. Yes, you can zoom pictures! Especially nice with maps.
Question, is the zoom for pictures also available in epub or only for kepub?
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #222
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Question, is the zoom for pictures also available in epub or only for kepub?
Just in kepub so far.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #223
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Frankly I'd be surprised if we see this implemented for ePubs.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #224
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Edit: also asked about the availability of the pink Aura, but no one had a clue when it'd be available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vice-versa View Post
the black and the pink one will be availabe on september the 27th (next Friday) in France
http://www.fnac.com/Liseuse-numeriqu...r/a6451350/w-4
In France, it will be available mid-November. But the Aura HD other than black were only released in July if memory serves, so our country may not be a good indication
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #225
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by palazzo View Post
And as to the light-pricks. It seems statistically puzzling that one person hasn't been able to find one non-faulty unit, despite going through so many; and that the few people who have detected them have all only been on this board a few weeks. No long-standing members seem to have had a problem. Hmmm.

Anyway, putting suspicion and cynicism aside - this is shaping up as the best e-reader I've ever had, and I can't see what would make one better.
Possibly the new people came to the forums because they had a problem and were looking for help? Perhaps they know better now

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote