Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
EliNoah
Enthusiast
EliNoah began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader Pocket Edition
Sony 300 and Digital Editions and Library checkout

My mom's library has ebooks...we both have sony pocket 300s.

Her library requires the adobe digital editions download in order to use it.

Do we both have to have the same ID number in order to use the same account at the library? (not to share books, but to check out different books at the same time...)

I am wondering if she can set up digital editions with her ID on her computer and reader and if I can set up a seperate ID and reader with my computer, but we both download on the same library card number and library?

We most likely will not be sharing books, because she does not read the same books I do, so there is no need to have the same authorization and we are not always together...she is a full time RVer on the road...but I am wondering if this is even possible.

I wish my library would move into the 20th century...

I am just not understanding this whole digital editions thing.

Thanks in advance for help.
EliNoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
My downloads from the library are based on my Library card number. I think it encrypts the book on the fly for your AdobeID. You should be okay with different IDs.
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
You can download separate books to separate computers using the same library card number.

The only limitation you may encounter will be the library may have a max number of books checked out under one account.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
EliNoah
Enthusiast

Oh good. I think the library only allows five at one time, but I really don't think that will be a problem. I just wanted to make sure I did not mess anything up.

I really did not want us to have to be tied together...with her traveling, I just felt like it could make problems or headaches I did not need!
Old 10-20-2009, 11:53 PM   #5
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Not to be too nitpicky, but this practice falls under the shady area of perhaps not-quite-legal-and/or proper, if you don't live in the jurisdiction where the library is. Just because it can be done, 'sharing' someone else's library account isn't right. Why? Because there are a limited number of copies of e-books available at a given time. (I've seen some posts here from another user boasting about how many 'shared' elibrary accounts she has access to.)

Disagree with me? Just wait until you can never check out any of the books you want at the elibrary where you pay supporting taxes because they have all been checked out by 'borrowed' accounts. I'm sure most library Terms of Use have restrictions against this practice, which puts it in the same realm as piracy.

Just sayin'....
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 08:12 AM   #6
EliNoah
Enthusiast

I guess I never thought of it quite like that. I figured borrowing one book at a time was okay...I check out books off of my card for my husband who is too lazy to go, or my children who can't drive themselves, or occasionally my mom when she is visiting.

I basically considered it the same thing. I am paying taxes to support a library, my library just does not have the digital. My mom pays taxes to support her library...

If it is any help though...I did use to live and WORK in the same city and had a library card at one time.

I wish that every state's libraries would somehow get together and offer the overdrive system to each other as a statewide consortium.

I like using the library both because I can read books for free and I like the smell...it was one of the tipping points for the sony was being able to continue to use a library.

My state does have a small consortium with very little offerings which I actually pay annually for the priviledge of using.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliNoah View Post
I like using the library both because I can read books for free and I like the smell...it was one of the tipping points for the sony was being able to continue to use a library.
Haha. For me, it was the opposite: I hate the smell of libraries, and musty old books. I like the smell of electronics stores
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote