Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #31
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmseight View Post
Yep. The problem is in the eips. Thanks for the great help.

The following works:

eips $XP $YP "$ST""_ "

I can use this to type commands into the shell, correct?

eips 10 10 "Type command?"
S="$(getkb 10 11)"
sh < S

Is the last statement correct?

Thanks,
James
You can pipe the filtered keyboard ascii into the shell, and pipe the shell output to eips, but you need to use "tr" or whatever to remove bad characters from the text eips gets or it will be unhappy again. For example, it does not like '!' characters... Also, eips can be told to scroll the display, just like a terminal. I have a script around here somewhere that does that, and inserts a delay every screenful of data. Fast scrolling text is not readable.

In fact, there are so many characters eips does not like that I was planning to quit using it and blit small images of individual ascii characters using "dd" to display each row of pixels from a character map image. I was also planning to finish my Hershey vector font support. I have too many "mostly working" projects. But eips is a great way to start...

I will post my script when I find it (I was using it to scroll output from "dmesg" to the eink display in a RUME.sh script, with a generic "Press any key to continue . . ." message at the bottom), but now, back to work.

P.S. Regarding your question, you are missing a '$' on S and it is missing quotes despite my "It's the law!" statement, and I would echo it into sh:

S="$(getkb 10 11)"
echo "$S"|sh

Or if you do not plan to reuse $S, then do:

echo "$(getkb 10 11)"|sh

Of course, if your intent is to display the command output on the display, then you need to pipe the output of sh to eips, probably filtered with:

L=$(sh|tr...);eips x y "$L"

Again, these answers are just "off the top of my head" so need testing and possible adjustments...

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-28-2012 at 09:06 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:37 AM   #32
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, check out my tinysh - tiny limited onscreen shell (initially for the K3):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173657

The really bad eips text support makes it rather useless, but it is enough to prove that this concept works (and will be useful with better text output using bitmap fonts with "dd").

Also, it would not be difficult to translate to another language and still keep it small and simple. We can add ANSI escape sequence support and such later too.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #33
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Aye, I guess you two should really have a beer once ;-)
An interesting thought.

The long distance highway system (modeled after your country's) in this country provides an almost direct route between our homes.

Right at an even 1,000 miles apart.
Hmm...
Me thinks that neither of us is that thirsty.

But I do understand your meaning (I think; en_US: "Chill Out").
Probably good advice.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #34
geekmaster

This is a good addition to the kindle keyboard script, but will need a little tweaking for the k3, and a bigger font: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2026074