Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-20-2007, 11:49 PM   #1
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
Sony Connect "Bait and Switch" Advertising?

:::Before anyone goes off on a tear and flames me, this is a rant. I'm tired and bored. I know I'm whining:::

I've been aware that Sony's pricing of electronic books was a joke since before I got my reader, but it kinda hit home again today while I was browsing through the library.

I noticed (yet again) that Sony's claimed savings don't line up with their pricing. Not a surprise since they're obviously still gouging on the prices. I find it humorous how the advertised discounts are always X% from list price...lulling you into thinking that you're getting a better deal than you are.

One particular bundle is advertised as 44% off of list price...but if you do the math and look at the normal connect price, it's actually only about a 30% discount.

Technically, small beans as you're still getting a "deal", but the bait and switch is annoying if you actually take the time to do some math.

And we won't even go into the number of books on Connect that are priced HIGHER than the hardcover edition on Amazon.........
TheMooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:59 PM   #2
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMooch
One particular bundle is advertised as 44% off of list price...but if you do the math and look at the normal connect price, it's actually only about a 30% discount.
I'm all for ranting, but I don't really see a problem with this. Say their price is usually 10% off list price (i.e. MSRP). Then they have a sale for 40% off list price, I don't have a problem with them advertising for it. That's not really a bait and switch. A bait and switch is where you advertise something for price X but really sell it or something similar for price Y.

Now Sony is definitely pulling some shenanigans with their Stephenson bundle they've been advertising for over a week. They advertised it as $24 but when you actually add it to your cart it comes up as $36. Numerous people have complained to Sony apparently from this forum alone, and the problem still existed last I checked.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2007, 12:08 AM   #3
TheMooch
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
I'm all for ranting, but I don't really see a problem with this. Say their price is usually 10% off list price (i.e. MSRP). Then they have a sale for 40% off list price, I don't have a problem with them advertising for it.

True enough and a very valid point. I would prefer though that they show the prices as a % off of what they normally sell for on connect. That way you get a better idea of the savings.

Who's butt are they pulling the eBook List price out of I wonder? An eBook list price that's only $3 off the standard hardcover print price? Who knew that binding and shipping a physical inventory was so cheap!

Still ranting...stick around..I may work myself into a lather if this keeps up.

NOW..if they could get teh Sony reader to read the Palm pdb format..I'd be SET. I have HUNDREDS of books in that format. (literally)
Old 02-21-2007, 12:15 AM   #4
TheMooch
Member Retired

I will give them a "little" (VERY small) credit though. Connect, Amazon and eReader.com all list James Patterson's new book "Step on a Crack" with a Print List Price of $27.99.

Palm Format from eReader = $16.19 (newsletter price)
Connect Price = $14.39
Amazon Hardcover = $15.39
Old 02-21-2007, 12:57 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMooch
NOW..if they could get teh Sony reader to read the Palm pdb format..I'd be SET. I have HUNDREDS of books in that format. (literally)
I don't mean to interrupt your quite entertaining rant, but I wanted to ask if you've looked at the Amber Converter for Palm/PDB files? I don't think it works for DRMed files (go figure), but if your files aren't locked, it might be of use. Especially as it has a batch function, and will get you to RTF format, which you should be able to use a good deal more widely, as well as in the Reader, I mean. It has a free demo, so you can try it out to see if it'll do you any good, if you're interested.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2007, 01:43 AM   #6
TheMooch
Member Retired

LOL Interrupt away! Like I said, Iit was a rant and I was bored. It was thrown in the mix mainly for something to do. I fully expected to see blended and force-fed back to me in the form of a coherent thought.

Thanks for the link. There used to be a program called (funny enough) txt2pdb that converted both ways. I remember using it to go in a fix spelling errors on palm formatted books.

I can literally fill a cd with unlocked palm format books. Ton-O-Stuff that was scanned and OCR'd. In looking through it though, it's sometimes surprising what I DON'T have. The thought of going back through the "Conversion Wars" as I called them gives me the shudders though. I just don't have the same enthusiasm I had in my Palm/IRC days.