Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
StealthyScribe
Feverish
StealthyScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kobo
Corrupted File?

So I just bought another book from Kobo, opened up the desktop app to get it onto my reader (It didn't format well in ADE or else I would have used it), but when I click on the app, I get this error:

Kobo.exe - Unable to Locate Component
This application has failed to start because libus0.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I'm not terribly computer savvy, but I thought that un-installing the app and then re-installing it like it says might help...but just to be on the safe side I contacted Kobo. The man I spoke with opened up a ticket for me, but didn't know for sure what I should do.

Has anyone else experienced this error?
StealthyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthyScribe View Post
So I just bought another book from Kobo, opened up the desktop app to get it onto my reader (It didn't format well in ADE or else I would have used it), but when I click on the app, I get this error:

Kobo.exe - Unable to Locate Component
This application has failed to start because libus0.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I'm not terribly computer savvy, but I thought that un-installing the app and then re-installing it like it says might help...but just to be on the safe side I contacted Kobo. The man I spoke with opened up a ticket for me, but didn't know for sure what I should do.

Has anyone else experienced this error?
libusb is the new USB driver we had to add for the upgrade process to work, looks like this might be related.

Try this go into Program files/Kobo/Drivers/ and right click on the INF file there and click install. Go through the steps and report back!
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 12:31 AM   #3
StealthyScribe
Feverish

Did as you said...but there is no INF file in my drivers folder. Maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for, but I wasn't able to install anything from there. Thanks for your help, Sameer, I appreciate it!
Old 07-06-2010, 01:59 AM   #4
JBlyth
Connoisseur
JBlyth doesn't litterJBlyth doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch, Ipaq 214, HTC WildFire Android
Quote:
Did as you said...but there is no INF file in my drivers folder. Maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for, but I wasn't able to install anything from there. Thanks for your help, Sameer, I appreciate it!
Try right clicking on the ibusb file and if there is an "Install" option, select that, and it may well fix your problem.

Alternatively, you might wish to turn on the file extension display under the Explorer menu - Tools/Folder Options/View. Then activating "Show hidden files and folders" and unactivating "Hide extensions..." and "Hide protected operating system files". The INF file extension will then show up - if the file exists.

This is for XP, but other OS are similar - try Googling 'show file extensions" for your OS.

John in Sunny Carnarvon - Western Australia

Last edited by JBlyth; 07-06-2010 at 02:39 AM.
JBlyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:58 AM   #5
ahcoles
ahcoles began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I have the same error message (assuming you meant libusb0.dll), and am reluctant to reinstall the desktop application if there's an alternative, as it took 5 hours to re-download my 30 books once signed in so I don't particularly want to do that again!

Sameer, I have tried right-clicking on the INF file you suggested but it tells me "The INF file you selected does not support this method of installation".

I am running v1.4 build 1971 (downloaded from the link on the Whitcoulls forums) on a Vista 64-bit machine. The desktop app and Kobo both upgraded fine, it was only after a reboot that I am unable to get into the Desktop App.
ahcoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2010, 01:02 AM   #6
mwlcarter
Connoisseur
mwlcarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Use the link provided in this thread to re-install the Kobo desktop app:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90402

Re-installing fixes the problem, and it doesn't require you to re-download your library or anything like that... it just makes the Kobo app load again. ;-)
mwlcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:37 AM   #7
ahcoles
ahcoles began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thanks, mwlcarter, you were right! A reinstall has fixed the problem and it didn't re-download the library. Phew!
ahcoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
StealthyScribe
Feverish

I suppose I should have replied to my own topic once I resolved the issue. All I did as well was end up re-installing the desktop app, and it was fine.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
I suppose I should have replied to my own topic once I resolved the issue. All I did as well was end up re-installing the desktop app, and it was fine.
phew. sorry I didn't get back to you. I've been off the forums / customer service for the last little bit.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote