Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 03:24 AM   #1
tristouille
tristouille began at the beginning.

Device: KindleDX
issues with Technical PDF docs (equations; matrice...)

Guys,
Despite the fact that "Calibre" is a great tool to convert data for my ebook (Kindle), It fails (like many other tools) to perform proper conversion of scientific PDF documents.
For example, if you take a PDF document from computergraphics world made of equations; matrices etc. : the equations and other complex notations are just screwed-up.
I am not so surprised because it seems like this is a known issue : I never found any decent converted that could do the job properly. Even Amazon Kindle converter (through email) fails...

A naive approach from Calibre would be to read the PDF document; locate the complex notations (equations etc.); convert them to simple pictures and integrate these pictures within the document to replace the unsuccessful conversion...

Another possible workaround : find the PDF tool online that does perform this job of converting complex equations and matrices to simple images; then use the modified PDF document with "Calibre"...

Any clue ? Any advice on which PDF tool to use so I could bake the PDf docs to become "Calibre" friendly ?
Thanks

PS: Yes, PDF docs are Kindle-compatible... but I prefer other ebook formats so that the kindle can do search; provide the dictionary on words; change the font size etc.
tristouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Get the original files and work from them.

There's a reason why math is ``penalty copy''.

Hevea or latex2html will make the small bitmap images which you are wanting (given a TeX source).

Failing that, run the images through a system which will convert them to TeX code such as Infty's equation recognition system or the Freehand Formula Entry System:

http://research.cs.queensu.ca/drl//ffes/

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
acrobat, calibre conversion, equations, pdf, scientific literature