Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #16
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Yes, the Kindle 2 is now gone.

Also, for those looking at the Nook, you not only can't order wirelessly outside the US, you can't order any other way, either. It's the same geographic restrictions that Amazon had to start with - B&N will have to negotiate all those international rights on their own (and develop a method to identify the location of the purchaser, so they can send the money tot he correct copyright holder).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #17
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
I am within the 30 day return window for a US refurbished K2. Is there any benefit to me to trade up to an international version for $40 more? I live and work in the US and am a very infrequent international traveler. I don't see any upside but others may have more insight on the subject.

Thanks.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #18
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookfanmd View Post
I am within the 30 day return window for a US refurbished K2. Is there any benefit to me to trade up to an international version for $40 more? I live and work in the US and am a very infrequent international traveler. I don't see any upside but others may have more insight on the subject.

Thanks.
I would like to know the answer to this as well.
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:15 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookfanmd View Post

Thanks.
I think the only reason to do this would be if you can't get a Sprint signal where you usually use the reader but you could get an AT&T signal. Otherwise, spend the money on eBooks.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #20
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
ATT = GSM = better battery life.
Sprint = CDMA = worse battery life.

The move to GSM not only has worldwide benefits, but the battery life should be increased as well. Bet Sprint isn't too happy about losing the contract...

The writing is on the wall for the DX to go ATT/International very soon.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #21
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
Actually I live in the Catoctin Mountains of Maryland very near Camp David and I don't get any wireless signals very good. Verizon is our best option here and it's not perfect. If I can't get books downloaded at home I can take it to work with me where the signals are good so I think I will follow BOb's suggestion and spend the $40 on ebooks. Thanks.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:54 PM   #22
emoorman
Obsessive Reader
emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nokia 1520
Kindle goes AT&T

Here's a Cnet News blog from David Carnoy I just read.

Quote:
Just weeks after announcing a new $279 international version of its Kindle e-book reader, Amazon has chopped $20 off its price and made that model its only Kindle offering for both the domestic U.S. and international markets. In the process, the company has eliminated the U.S. version of the device, which used Sprint as the carrier for the Kindle's built-in wireless capabilities. Now, for better or worse, new Kindles will tap into AT&T's data network, which will also be the wireless provider behind Barnes & Noble's upcoming Nook e-book reader.

For those who bought the international version in recent weeks, Amazon is crediting buyers with a $20 refund. Here's the note it sent out to customers:

Full article here:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...g=2547-1_3-0-5

Last edited by emoorman; 10-31-2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Edited down for copyright reasons
emoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:58 PM   #23
emoorman
Obsessive Reader
emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nokia 1520
And here's the URL to the David Carnoy item.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...g=2547-1_3-0-5
emoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #24
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
...and no Sprint-powered Kindle devices will have their wireless cut off.
...yet.

When the DX also goes AT&T then it is just a matter of time (and dwindling working machines) before Amazon pull the plug on the Sprint contract.

I give it 3 years from when the last Sprint DX is sold.

Any advances?
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #25
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCeeEll View Post
...yet.

When the DX also goes AT&T then it is just a matter of time (and dwindling working machines) before Amazon pull the plug on the Sprint contract.

I give it 3 years from when the last Sprint DX is sold.

Any advances?
I doubt the [Sprint] wireless will ever be turned off. The current users will most likely be grandfathered for the life of the device.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:41 AM   #26
t-town
Connoisseur
t-town began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
You guys talk about limited webbrowser in the US, with only access towikipedia and amazon. But is this limited webbrowser also available outside of the US?
t-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:59 AM   #27
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town View Post
You guys talk about limited webbrowser in the US, with only access towikipedia and amazon. But is this limited webbrowser also available outside of the US?
It is here. That is, the english wikipedia, but not amazom.com (except for the Kindle shop).
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #28
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I wouldn't be surprised if within just a few short months they announced that you can no longer connect through Sprint + offering a replacement with a discount if you buy a new AT&T powered device.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:21 PM   #29
JamesJoe
JamesJoe began at the beginning.

Device: None
That's great! I just bought one for my wife!

Last edited by JamesJoe; 10-25-2009 at 01:06 AM.
JamesJoe is offline   Reply With Quote