Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 11-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
paipa
paipa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Previously downloaded articles & empty editions

Hi Kovid,

I want to thank you for the incredible job you're doing. Calibre is probably the one piece of software I love most on my computer, with news fetching being the feature I use day to day.

I tried searching the forum for the two questions I have but the search engine is such a pain that I'm afraid have to open a new thread for them. Merge it if I'm asking redundant questions!

So I've subscribed to a handful of blogs that don't update very often. This sometimes leads to the following problems:

1. The magazine ebook comes out empty. I guess what's going on is that old posts get removed from the blog's RSS feed after a certain time and there's nothing to download. But Calibre still creates an issue for them with a cover picture and nothing else. Is it possible to avoid creating and sending an empty issue to my reader in such cases?

2. The magazine ebook contains old posts that I already read. I guess in this case the RSS contains a fixed number of posts but as there's little activity, most of them are articles that I downloaded before. Is it possible to keep track of previously downloaded articles to avoid putting those in a newly created issue?

I'm sure others had asked these questions before, so could you just point me to the relevant threads? Thanks a lot!
paipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Set

remove_empty_feeds = True in your recipe

As for ignoring previously downloaded articles, there is some example code for how to do that in one of the stickies in this forum.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
paipa
paipa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Set

remove_empty_feeds = True in your recipe

As for ignoring previously downloaded articles, there is some example code for how to do that in one of the stickies in this forum.
Thanks a lot, I've found the downloaded article tracking code, should have looked harder!
paipa is offline   Reply With Quote